+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Knowledge is power. Why are people so against studies like this? It's the first step in minimising the affects into the future.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (27-01-2012),Etienne  (27-01-2012),Lillynix  (27-01-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (27-01-2012),wrena  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes and vaginal births have a greater risk of many horrific complications.

Something I also took into consideration when exploring my birth options.

I agree with shareabook, these are great for identifying and minimizing the risk. I just don't think it should be used as a deterrent for csections, as both options have a range of risks.
    Last edited by BlissedOut; 27-01-2012 at 13:55.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (27-01-2012),GothChick  (27-01-2012),Guest654  (27-01-2012),insanity  (27-01-2012),LoCo  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Knowledge is power. Why are people so against studies like this? It's the first step in minimising the affects into the future.
    I totally agree with this. I read a similar study back in 2009 when I was preparing for DD2's birth, and was one of the deciding factors in my attempt for a VBAC. I didn't end up acheiving my VBAC, but I am still so glad that I got a chance to try.

Also, DD2 was crowning when I had my emergency c-section, so I guess it's possible she may have been exposed to the good bacteria in the birth canal? She doesn't seem to have any of the food intolerances etc that DD1 has.... interesting anyway...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ceaser babies also have a higher chance of asthma and allergies but if there is no other way then what can you do...I had an emergency c-sect with my first and a couple of weeks after she was born she contracted bronchilitis, but due to life threatening issues with my 2nd I will be having another c-sect with my 3rd.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think there are way more facets to this than presented in the article. Environmental factors, support whilst recovering factors, how quickly the new mothers body heals so she can comfortably bf, lifestyle, etc...... 1+1 doesnt always = 2 you know. Ds was delivered by emergency C, had no trouble bfing and has never had a chest or gut infection. 1 bout of gastro we all got on holiday, that he got over way quicker than either of us.....

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azurial For This Useful Post:

Californication  (27-01-2012),Guest654  (27-01-2012),insanity  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Azurial - I'm sure other factors come into play too, and obviously not every child is going to have problems.

I've seen several studies in the last few years on this issue, and I think all they are saying is that it is more likely (by a fair margin).

I think it's good for people to know these things, so they can take it into consideration. Obviously, not everyone is going to be able to choose. Emergency csections will, unfortunately, always be necessary to some extent. And of course, other women choose elective csections too, and I am glad that we live in a country where we have that choice.

Like I said, it was *one* thing that I took into consideration when I planning DD2's birth though.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (27-01-2012),wrena  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meh don't believe everything you read... Yes it's good to have these studies.. But you don't need to believe everything you read.
    I HAD to have a c - sect for the safety of my bub and you know what?!
    He is healthy as!! He has only been sick with the sniffles a few times, no meds nothing needed he got better on his own. On the other hand a few of my friends who had vaginal births have been in and out of hosp since birth they are always getting what ever flu/cold/disease is going around.
    As for sticking something into my vagina and rubbing it into my bubs mouth that is just disgusting, I can't believe anyone would even consider that???!!!!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbubs1012 View Post
    Meh don't believe everything you read... Yes it's good to have these studies.. But you don't need to believe everything you read.
    I HAD to have a c - sect for the safety of my bub and you know what?!
    He is healthy as!! He has only been sick with the sniffles a few times, no meds nothing needed he got better on his own. On the other hand a few of my friends who had vaginal births have been in and out of hosp since birth they are always getting what ever flu/cold/disease is going around.
    As for sticking something into my vagina and rubbing it into my bubs mouth that is just disgusting, I can't believe anyone would even consider that???!!!!
    What, do you think vaginal birthed babies travel through the vagina with plugs up there nostrils and their mouths firmly shut or are all vb babies disgusting?

Took the red pill.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an emergency c-section with DS and he has never had anything other than a cold and tonsillitis.

Like Az said, there are so many other factors that can come into play. Unless they are going to do studies under controlled conditions where everyone lives, eats and everything else the exact same way, I'll take them with a grain of salt.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Azurial  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Californication - it seems that emergency c-sections dont have the same effect, or to the same extent anyway. So labour itself might help.

remember, the study isnt saying - if you have a c-sec your baby will be sickly. It's saying there's a lot more chance that they will.

So say if 10 out of every 100 babies get sick in their first year (just a statistic i've made up for illustration purposes), then 6 of them will prob be c-sec babies and 4 vaginal.

Therefore, having a vaginal birth seems to be a way to reduce the likelihood of your baby getting sick.

If you can't have a vaginal birth (or dont want to) for whatever reason (and there are lots), then maybe this info can be used in some way to help mitigate the risks (ie probiotics, or maybe waiting as long as poss to have a c-sec (not at 38 weeks etc) or preparing best as possible for breastfeeding, etc)

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (27-01-2012),Mod-Uniquey  (27-01-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (27-01-2012)