+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default I need tips on having a positive c-section experience

Hi, as the title suggests, I have to have a scheduled c-section at 39 weeks (39+4). My first was an emergency c-section after DD became very stuck. I have a low lying placenta and a rather large baby on board, so not much choice unfortunately. I trust my ob 110% so this isn't a question of that decision.
    Anyway, I thought I was ok with this, but after I broke down at the ob appointment the other day when it was confirmed, obviously I am not. So - I have to become ok with it.
    For those that had a scheduled c-section, how did you make it 'ok' in your mind? All I can think about is all the bad things that happened with my emergency c-section, and I know it won't be like that this time, and I am very greatful that my baby is healthy and gorgous, but I just need 'something else' to get my head around this.
    Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There's a thread in the positive csection area called 'Caesareans can be empowering', definitely worth a read.

For me knowing the process helped.

All the best with yours.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mmm, this is a hard one to answer, I read lots of c section stories and thought about all the worst case scenarios, I knew every step of what they were doing to me, I became fully informed of each step, I also discussed with my ob my wishes to have dh present and have baby with me and dh too in recovery.
    This helped a lot
    I felt totally grateful that I wasn't enduring some of the horrific stories some of my friends had endured, through vag birth, and I kept telling myself id meet baby soon
    Hope that helps x

5. The Following User Says Thank You to october For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an emergency c section and what helped me was to be involved in the planning. I had care providers who were very supportive and talked me through my options, as well as being open to my requests. I was well supported in the surgery by my DH, my doula and the theatre staff. I had a few requests which made a difference - I had the drapes dropped and the theatre lights (with mirror) positioned so I could see the surgery, I had immediate skin to skin and when I was transferred back to my hospital bed DH had skin to skin, we attempted a breast crawl once I was in recovery, my doula took photos, we played our own music. I really liked that our OB was focused on us and talking to us, she was talking to DD as she came out etc. rather than chatting with theatre staff.

These are just ideas for you obviously. Just because they were important to me doesn't mean they are important to you!!

You might find this page and the whole website helpful:

http://www.canaustralia.net/?q=node/24

Best of luck with your birth and congrats!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaNurture For This Useful Post:

Mopeg  (27-01-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There is a great article here, I won't quoteit because it's quiet long but its a story of a woman's gentle cesarean, you might pick up some helpful tips from it http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...icineandhealth

Took the red pill.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Mopeg  (27-01-2012),MummaOJ  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The way I made it ok for me was just having to come to terms with the fact there was no other option. The baby HAS to come out.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nasacha For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (27-01-2012)

RoseKathleen is offline ...Yes - motherhood is a full-time job!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I know you are disappointed, but for me my planned cs was wonderful - I didn't realise just how wonderful it was until 2 years later and I had a vbac. (oh gosh - what a calamity that was!)

For me the calmness of it all was fantastic. We drove to the hospital under the speed limit - talking calmly to each other about our dreams. There was no huge hurry and shouting because it was hurting. No rush, no breaking the road rules.

I walked into the hospital at 7am - all the staff were just coming on shift, they were happy and cheerful. There was a midwife assigned to me who was with me the whole time - not having to handle more than one birthing mother. They were expecting me and all the things were ready for me - a room, labels, tags, bracelets, files...

The sterile operating room was a little bit of a shock to me - after seeing the nice cozy birthing rooms - but it was quiet, calm and just the doctors murmuring to each other. And then there was a beautiful baby with us. We had the sheet up - DH is very squeamish - and it was just like it was him and me there with the baby between us - no-one could see us.

Afterwards the nurses treat you a little more fragilely - iykwim. No-one expects you to do anything but lay in bed with your baby.

It took me a long time to get over the fact that I didn't have a "natural" birth, but in the end I sat myself down and I said, "You have a beautiful, healthy child that you get to take home from the hospital. He is alive. He is uninjured. He is breathing. Do I really have the right to ask for more?" And I have had NONE of the bad things that people try to scare you with. I had no trouble BF, he has had no adverse reactions to the way he was born, I had no complications. I have a very active, extremely smart 4 yr old who is about to start pre-primary!

The birth is a very small part of the whole job of parenting. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a wonderful planned c-section because my baby was breech. It was great and I have no regrets and don't wish it was any different.

To be honest in the people I know that had a c-section, it seems to be those of us that had time to get used to the idea that enjoyed our experience. Those people who had to have one at the last minute when they were anticipating a natural birth seem to often find it hard to adjust. I was so scared and didn't want one, but at least I had a fortnight or so to get used to the idea and do some planning about it, and just basically get used to the idea.

I hope you have a different experience this time and all goes well.
    Last edited by Kitty10; 27-01-2012 at 18:58.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitty10 For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also had a wonderful planned C-section. Arrived at the hospital at 6am. Everyone was happy and cheerful and saying things like 'well lets go and meet your baby!' In theather all the staff were talking about what we're going to name it and were all really cheerful, friendly and excited for us. There was no stressing. The OB and anaesthetist talked through everything they were doing. The curtain was lowered for us to see DS. and 1 minute later he was on my chest. I BF him in recovery and was only apart from DH and DS for 5mins while they stitched me up. I was up for a shower the next morning and walking around by the afternoon. My scar is hardly noticeable. I will be having another planned c-section for baby no.2 in August

Thanks
    Reviews
    another wonder elective here

no stress wonderfully planned day, the only way I would have a baby