Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default When to start TTC? Pls give me your thoughts

Hi there ladies!!

Coming here for advises...

Hubby and I are dead set on TTC asap for our very first bub... YAY! I am unsure on when we should actually start trying though... Hubby says it's my call. Here is what's making me think :

We are from Europe and have planned to get married a 2d time there at the end of September as our families and friends could not attend our aussie wedding.
    I guess it would not be the easiest to be pregnant at that time, because of the dress, the 20hr flight to Europe, the party and not being able to have drinks etc.

Also, we are about to buy our first home (we should have enough $$$ for a deposit by May/June) and I have read it was better to get a loan approved pre-children...?

While I think these are good reasons to wait a little I am concern as I will be turning 31 in a few months. I am well aware that it can take a long time to get pregnant etc, so worried that maybe we should not wait until September to start TTC....

What do you think?

By the way, I have been on the pill for less than 18 mths. Should I stop now and use other contraception methods until September?
    Also my doctor gave me a presciption for some analysis. When should I get these done?

Thanks heaps for your valuable contributions
    Lili

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can get married pregnant. There are lots of pretty dresses to cater for this moment. The party will still be fun and missing out on drinks you will cope with it's amazing how you don't miss it when you are carrying around a watermelon in your tummy..

Maybe start trying june/july.. You wont be big for Sept. and you'll have your house. still doesn't help the no drinks etc but at least you'll have a head start and can maybe announce it on your wedding day as well! that little bit extra for missing out on the first wedding!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks MaybeAgain, food for tought!!

I like the idea of a head start and maybe a good news to share with our families... How is to fly for 20+ hours in your first trimester though?

Thanks
    Reviews
    lots of little snacks and spew bags if you get morning sickness.. i find if i eat i don't get sick.. and maybe a seat near the toilet for frequent trips LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Still undecided... We keep discussing it with hubby... Any other thoughts?

Do you really think that 4/5 months can make that much difference (ie. TTC from Apr/May vs TTC from Sep)? We plan on having 3, so that's another reason to maybe not procrastinate for too long...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Good point... And a long flight is already hard when not-pregnant, so I can imagine how uncomfortable it would be pregnant!

If we are starting to try May/June, this is a 4 months head start to our original plan (which was to TTC from September).

Are 4 months a luxury wait one can afford at 31 yo, no kid, and planning to build a family of 3?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I certainly don't want to rain on anyones parade here, but another thing worth considering is the potential of having difficulty conceiving.
    I very much hope you don't have difficulty, but even perfectly fertile people can take a while to conceive.

I started TTC right when I turned 28 - with the idea that I could easily have my first baby by the time I turned 30. But 2.5 years later there's still no baby.

Clearly my perspective is skewed toward the worry wart, but even still, I don't think there is anything worth delaying TTC for (barring medical/health issues of course).

Best of luck with your decision!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMud View Post
    worth considering is the potential of having difficulty conceiving.
    Thanks Magic Mum. That's exactly why I do not think I have the luxury to wait any longer....

If I knew I would get pregnant first try, I would not even think twice and just TTC in September. But I know it can take months, years... I have sadly seen both my SIL struggling through TTC
    so I'm thinking I should just start TTC as early as possible... and not worry too much about the wedding and what's not.

Thanks for your input, and I hope you get you BFP soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Lili,

We are both in the same boat. Me and DP want to get married in June and we both know we are gonna have problems to conceive because of stage 2 endometriosis. So we just sat down and talked it all through and decided to just go ahead and start ttc. We are onto our second month now and we really dont care if I do end up pregnant on my wedding. We dont have the option to wait. But sadly we dont have the support of all our families. :-( It was a hard decision, but we made it and we couldnt be happier about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I flew to & from London in the first trimester with ds. It was horrible. I had the worst morning sickness, the plane was completely full so there was nowhere to lie down (although eventually on the way home when I complained to staff they let me in their staff quarters to lie down) I will never fly anywhere in the first trimester ever again.

In the third trimester, depending on how far along you are, you may not be allowed to fly. Every airline is different and you would need a doctors certificate if you were allowed to fly.

And lastly, I was 32 weeks pregnant at my wedding. I couldn't drink, and I was exhausted, but I didn't care. I had the best day ever.

Good luck making your decision and I hope it doesn't take long to get your bfp

Mummy & Daddy - expanding our family! Our little man born April 2011 and now expecting another munchkin in August 2012! Loving it!!!!!