+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breaking out of wrap and amount of time asleep

Eli is 10 weeks old, and is a strong little fellow! Lately he's been in the habit of destroying my wrap and breaking out of it the little bugger haha... I do it fairly tight (not too tight as to be constricting) but usually tight enough to keep his hands in..

He has been having a most wonderful time wriggling and cooing and gooing to break his arms out to suck his hands! This takes him at least 20mins of struggling to do..
    When it usually takes him about 10mins give or take a few mins to settle to sleep for naps and night time. usually after his 7:00pm feed he goes down wonderfully around 7:30-8pm and doesn't normally wake until 3-4am and is definately not distressed IF still wrapped.. (lucky us to have a good bubba at this age!)

However with his latest habit of nearly 'obsessing' with getting his hands out once he gets them out of the wrap he just will not sleep because then most times it triggers his hunger reflex even just after a feed, in turn making him annoyed as he frantically sucks them or accidently whacks himself in the face with them waking himself up...

I have gotten him back up to offer some more food but he just won't have any more so it's not true hunger, I've also got him up and re-wrapped him which seems the thing to do recently but I don't want to continually rewrap him as this is an unwanted behaviour... Especially when it becomes a 'game' and he smiles and giggles at me like a mental patient before being put back into bed haha

The problem also is if he isn't wrapped and he gets to his hands he won't sleep through the night, yet doesn't want to feed when he wakes which in turn makes for lack of sleep for him, and for me and hubby too..

He is getting to the stage where he needs to start remaining unwrapped for bedtime, as hes rolling a bit, and we will probably move him to his cot from his bassinet in a month or so also.
    He will settle fine unwrapped on his own sometimes and sleeps with his arms up but even then in between sleep cycles if he gets to his hands and squeezes or whacks his face or feels them on his cheeks boom he wakes himself up where if he was still wrapped he wouldn't even stir until his next feed!!

I really don't know what to do, if I wrap him he breaks out and won't sleep due to access to his hands until rewrapped, if I don't wrap him he wakes earlier in the night because of his hands before his 3-4am feed...
    And I'm not interested in buying any 'miricle wraps' or other commercial wraps, we really don't have the money for it at the moment and I don't want to do trial and error with that kind of money when it's needed elsewhere...Also sleeping bags he still has access to his hands so they wouldn't work either...Any ideas???!?
    Last edited by herpsrule; 27-01-2012 at 22:03.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to herpsrule For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Why don't you see if anyone you know has a Wrap Me Up

http://www.lovetodream.com.au/

they could lend you to trial it, because if it works for your baby it is SO worth the money. You could prob go straight to a medium, so it would last a while. We had the same problem as you with DS and suffered through it. We got the Wrap Me Up for DD and it has been amazing!!

And some (friendly) advice: it's really hard to read big long posts - you kind of get lost in the middle. If you go back in and edit your post to break it up into paragraphs, it will be easier for people to read and you might get more replies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi there!

I second Lucy in the Sky's recommendation with the Love Me Wrap....they are absolutely fantastic! I had the same problem with me two, and these wraps did the trick. They also have one where the little arm-bits detach so when it comes time to wean them off the wraps, you can take one arm out at a time. I love them, and wished I'd come across them earlier.

They only thing is that, depending on where you live, they can be very warm, especially in summer....

My DS has outgrown his medium blue one, so if you would like it, I'm happy to post it to you. Just PM me.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shirleysmum For This Useful Post:

herpsrule  (06-02-2012),Starfish30  (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My apologies! I am usually one to be quite pedantic with regards to spelling grammar and sentencing...

I used my phone and typed it in 'notes' with all the paragraph spaces and copied it over as my browser was playing up, but apparently when it was posted it took the spaces out..
    It looks like a bloody headache to read I don't even want to read it!

And thankyou for the offer it is very kind of you, I'll pm you, thankyou again it is quite hot at the moment and I've been wrapping him in his nappy and his muslin wrap so I don't know how well it wwill go as we don't have air con.

Thanks again!
    Nat & Eli

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wrap Me Ups are brilliant! My DD slept 11 hours the very first night we tried it! She had been keeping us up all night prior to this from all her fidgeting and grunting trying to escape her swaddle!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep...they're all right..the Wrap me up (or Love to dream) are amazing!! I tried on with DD this week based on recommendations for the same problem. DD is currently asleep and has been since 7pm. I've already ordered another off ebay so I can wash one while she wears the other.

I'm even secretly annoyed I didn't know about these for DD1 and DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP you can also buy light Wrap Me Ups as well, which are perfect for this hot weather. So if you decide you like them, it might be worth looking at. We currently have 2 x normal ones and 1 lite one.

I love them

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm having the same problem with my DD. She wakes up every 3 hours with her arms flailing then she thinks its time too feed. She too wrestles out of her DOUBLE swaddle with sweet determination that drives me bonkers. I have tried the ergo coccon but she hated it and just kept pushing her hands up near her chin face. Would this "wrap me up" be the same?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has wiggled out of her swaddle since very early on. She still startles with the Wrap Me Up and is young enough that she finds sucking on her hands very stimulating. I know you said Miracle Blanket isn't the best option for you but it is the only way we can get DD to sleep for a long stretch at night.

We also now do a more complicated swaddle technique with the muslin wraps for day sleeps which is based on the Miracle Blanket. The paediatrician that wrote 'Happiest baby on the block' suggests securing it with duct tape. I haven't tried, but one of my best friends swears by it.

Do you think maybe bub is trying to get out because he is outgrowing the swaddle? If that's the case you could try wrapping with one arm out and see how it goes.

Hope the Wrap Me Up works for your bub. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS used to do this. He used to kick and squirm and would pull his arms out of his wrap. I bought a Wrap Me Up and it was fantastic!!!! He still had his arms up to his face and would sleep longer.