+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You've got a fair bit of time to prepare, so if you can afford it and there is one accessible I'd really recommend doing a calmbirth class together. It really helped my partner and I work as an amazing team in labour and we had the most beautiful, serene, and even romantic, birth. Good on you for taking the initiative to be so well prepared in advance. Glutton for Punishment, you are gorgeous

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

Tam-I-Am  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Others have already given you great advice - both serious and amusing

I just want to say how awesome I think it is that you care enough to jump on a site like this and ask for women's opinions. That alone is enough to show how great and supportive you will be - nothing to fear, enjoy the moment

The only extra bit I'll add is try not to take anything your DW says during this time to heart, we often have no idea what we are even saying and don't mean anything nasty towards you. Random awful things can just 'scream out'!!

If you imagine pushing a watermelon out of the eye of your p**nis, that will give you some ides of what she has to go through!! So keep this not so amusing thought at the back of your mind if any abuse comes your way

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the watermelon concept

I'm serious on the food thing though!!!

Imagine pushing the watermelon through your hole with NO energy whatsoever because you haven't eaten all day!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OneNowOneLater For This Useful Post:

skebn  (27-01-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You can eat in labour, Gloria Lemay writes a very interesting article about this

OP you have received some very good advice (esp the beer and babes suggestions) I just want to add that I wish my partner was more hands on, not all women like being touched in labour so maybe every now and then (but not constantly) ask your partner between cx if there is anything she wants you to do that your not doing

Took the red pill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wonder why hospital midwives refuse to allow labouring women what they would like...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Going into labour with DS, DH had the job of controlling the environment. He was the gate keeper and to me this was important. I wanted as few people present as possible (just DH, midwife and ob), under no circumstances did I want any extras/observers/students etc. I also told DH what my expectations of birth were (like what interventions I was okay with and what I did not want). He was responsible for controlling the environment that our son was born into and he did brilliantly.

I second the Calmbirth suggestion. It focuses on how you as a couple can birth your child and that was great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I didn't think they restricted food anymore? I gave birth in hospital and they gave me sandwiches and encouraged me to eat during labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OneNowOneLater View Post
    I wonder why hospital midwives refuse to allow labouring women what they would like...
    I believe the whole "no food" rule stems from the fact that the mother might require a c-section and you're not supposed to eat before a c-sect.... Correct me if I am wrong...?

Personally I think this is rubbish but annnny way... I have packed some light soft snacks in my hospy bag.. Soft so if I'm sick things aren't too bad coming back up lol.

I really want to thank the OP for this thread.... It has given me a lot of great ideas as a first time mum of things to talk to dp about while I'm in labour.
    We're now discussing if he thinks it would be a good idea for me to make a list of things - medically speaking - just so he is 100% clear of that I do and do not want... Ie, any required stitches without anesthetic is NOT going to be happening.

Thank you again!!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Atlantic Puffin For This Useful Post:

skebn  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think in regards to c sections, alot of women (even during emergency ones) remain conscious during the op... Chances are the staff would have the chuck bags on standby anyway... And even with requiring a general anaesthetic CS the intubation tubing in itself prevents aspiration as it completely fills the trachea.

I'm really hoping the hospy I'm delivering allows food/drinks during labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello boys! I'm the creator of Beer + Bubs and it thrills my socks off when I see people recommending the program. In two hours, you'll be prepared to support your partner through childbirth and the book, Cheers to Childbirth, can be read with or without the pub session. All the best for a wonderful birth!

Lucy x