+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dad's role at hospital during birth??

Question: we are due for DS's birth in early may and I have no idea what to do when it comes time for when DW's water breaks and we go to the hospital..

Any ideas what is expected of me during this process?

Any1 can be a father.. It takes a special someone to be a dad, and a greater person to be a stepdad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A lot! I don't want to make you feel nervous but your partner is going to need you more than you can ever imagine. Acupressure, water, advocate for her with hospital staff, support.... the support role is huge!

If you are unsure, you might consider getting a doula to help support you both together.

Also, I highly recommend the Beer & Bubs childbirth education for Dads program:

http://www.beerandbubs.com.au/

(Also, the waters break and you're off to the hospital is more of a movie scenario, not what usually happens - waters can break with a gush or at trickle at any time, including as the baby is actually being born - it's more likely labour will start with contractions and you'll stay at home as long as possible until they're close and strong)

This is the most physically and emotionally challenging experience there is, so think of ways you can support.

Best wishes it's great to see you thinking about this now!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (27-01-2012),MuminMind  (26-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In short , whatever she wants at the time !

Also the water breaking may not happpen before u leave for hospital ........ It doesnt alway happen in the early stage of labour

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you are going to classes at the hospital they should have some info for you, but beer n Bubs is a great suggestion. If you can't get to those, the hospital may have a dads class.
    Hopefully some of the daddy hubbers will be able to share some of their experiences with you.

Also, communicate with your lady, let her know that you aren't sure what you need to do, find out her expectations of you.

The fact that you have hopped on here and asked the question tells me you've got what it takes.

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

skebn  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DP has an extraordinarily weak stomach lol his job was to feed me ice chips, rub my back pretty much anything that was above the waist.

Go in with an open mind, a closed mouth and you duck feathers greased right up so anything you DW says just slides right off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Honestly, the best thing my DP did for me was just being there and NOT asking "are you ok?" at all.

IMO - worst question to ask a woman in labour EVER!

My DP didn't know what was expected and I didn't know what to expect from him. I believe it comes naturally especially considering you are on here asking for advice. I think you'll do a great job. Whatever that may be for your DW.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies..

I'm looking at the beer and bubs and considering going for a night and also buying 'cheers to childbirth' book, the accompanying book to the night..

Will cost me about 80 dollars in total but I think it's worth it..

I've already been given a few instructions whilst watching 'one born every minute' episodes.. But not alot.
    She's been through it before.. This will be her second time, but my first time and I want to get it right..

Any1 can be a father.. It takes a special someone to be a dad, and a greater person to be a stepdad

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband's job was to be there and watch and experience one of the most wonderful things ever, he just chatted with me and held my hand, I dodnt expect anything of him, the dr on the other hand handed him one of my legs and said hold this for her he got to see his daughter come into the world and cut the cord then get first hold it was great. You will do fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, I've just booked me in for a beer and bubs night when it hits town, but bought their book 'cheers to childbirth' seperately. That way I could read it beforehand, otherwise you get it on the night

So I'll be looking for it in the mail

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by daddykisses View Post

I've already been given a few instructions whilst watching 'one born every minute' episodes.. But not alot.
    I bet one of those instructions would have been "eat anywhere around me and I'll kill you!!!" right? ;p