+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Unhappy Melbourne IVF and Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis

Hi,

A bit of background. My DH has had a vasectomy 12years ago and IVF has been our only option to have a baby. 3 years ago we first embarked on our IVF journey in Canberra. They were fantastic, I was going for blood tests and ultrasounds every second day before pick up and this close monitoring was continued with blood tests every second day after transfer. I had a day 3 embryo transfered and we were very blessed that this took and 9mths later we had our beautiful baby boy.We were very lucky and we know that and I could never relate to the pain and anxiety many women spoke in regards to IVF.

When DS turned 7mths we decided to try a frozen cycle (in Townsville) as I have always wanted at least 2 children. This was not to be as our only frozen embryo did not survive the thaw. So it was back to full cycles again.

Since then we have done 3 full cycles with one day 4 and two day 5 blastocysts, and a frozen day 5 blastocyst all which have resulted in negative pregnacies. All of these failed attemps were through another clinic (not Canberra) so we have now decieded to try Melbourne IVF and see if we can have some luck there.

I am 28 and have no fertilty issues (apart from having a DH who sniped way to early in life) and have been advised to do Preimplantation Genetic diagnosis with our next cycle.

Im writing to see if anyone has any experiences with this new treatment and Melbourne IVF in general. This treatment is very expensive (not covered on Medicare) and from our previous clinic where we really felt like a number and a source of income for them, we want to know that this advice is right for us and that we are not just another statistic.

Look forward to any advice

Regards
    gilllint

PS sorry this is so long, Im new to the forum world and look forward to picking up the terms and abbreviations as I go.
    Last edited by DRAGONFLY17; 26-01-2012 at 16:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi hi, I have a feeling that this PGD thing is very new to MIVF and they seem to be enthusiastically promoting it. We recently also had an appt with a MiVF FS and he was also pushing for us to use it saying we haven't had any implantation with our last 3 cycles. He said that we are able to make embryos but probably crappy ones. DH and I discussed and felt that we won't head that direction at the moment.

What can PGD do for us except to conclude that our embies are chromosomally unsound? It doesn't do anything else for, besides it also means 3k out of pocket which we can use for a brand new cycle to get more embryos. Also he said that is would save us FET cycle costs and waiting time (all the 2ww and heart breaks of bfn). However we disagree cos we never had any blasts that were able to be frozen on day 5 or 6 anyway that means no need of FET cycle costs.

I personally feel that for your case and mine, we probably haven't had the right embryo coming for us. It is a matter of time.

If you want to try PGD, I think you can choose to do 2-3 fresh cycles, freeze your embies and then do a PGD one shot to make full use of the 3k? I saw someone in another forum doing that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your advice, I didnt relise they could do more than one cycle as i thought they did the test only on freshies. We havent had many embryos to freeze (only 2 in 5 cycles) so yes it is a big cost for possibly little gain. Our new FS has indicated that he is going to really up the meds and wants to get at least 20 follicles. I respect everyones opinions but another issue for me is the possiblity of having many good embryos after having the children we want. I know this is an issue that is awhile off since we are not pregnant but its always in my mind. We wouldnt discard them, DH and I have discussed donating them but again this is a hard decision and I think PGD might make that dicision harder when and if it comes. Do you have any feelings like this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi gillint,

I didnt realise too but then i saw another lady in one forum mentioning she did that, so I reckon you can unless MIVF has the rule not to. That is called embryo banking I think. It makes sense to bank embryos and do the PGD at one go. The PGD can only be done to blastocysts and then they get frozen.

My meds were up last two cycles, I got a good no of follicles and 11 eggs each cycle but the fert rate was not as good. I am not sure if quantity means quality. I think you are very young so your chances of getting good embryos are good and you conceived your DS successfully via IVF.

For me, it seems like even if I have a lot of eggs and a lot of embryos, most of them wont be good anyway. So I am not concerned with spare good embryos. When i did my first cycle I was concerned with this ethical issue but not now, cos I havent even got one that is able to implant! Never have spare embryos to even freeze If we do, we would use all of them and not discard them. We can donate but only to couples we are sure of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have great faith it will work for you. Out of the 5 full cycles I havent had many blostocysts be good either (or a high fertisation rate). I have tried researching the pros and cons for when to transfer. have read that there may be more success with day 3 then 5 as babies like to grow in mummies not dishes, so we might conisider this instead of PGD. Also am firm believer that progesterone is a key in implantation. Do you take supplement or know what your levels were like in your last cycles?