+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default what to send to daycare for lunch?

DS has just started family daycare. this week hes only going until 11 so i dont need to send lunch with him until next week.

i dont really want to give him sandwiches (he would eat them though) cause he has 2 pieces of toast for breakfast and i think 4 pieces of bread a day is too much for an 11 month old.

at home he generally has something hot like zucchini muffins, fish/veggie patties, chicken/veggie sausages,egg omlette, leftovers from the night before - lasagne, chicken stirfry, pasta etc. he generally doesnt have lunch until about 330 at home as he genrerally sleeps from 12-3ish. not sure if he will do this at daycare.

i want to give hime something that doesnt need heating up but all i can think of is sandwiches. he doesnt like being fed, prefers to feed himself.

any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Fruit, cheese, rice crackers or cakes?

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zombiekitty For This Useful Post:

Mopoke  (26-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For lunches, you could try wraps with various fillings if you wanted to cut down on bread.

DD also ate cold cooked pasta at that age. You could try the filled cheese and vege Latina kids ravioli or just normal pasta with grated cheese carrot.

Mini vege or fruit muffins can be eaten cold so could mini frittatas.

Other snack ideas for morning tea at daycare for that age are soft fruit like banana, yoghurt (could use squeezie yoghurt if he wants to feed himself), rice crackers, cruskits, cheese, sultanas.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DailyDiversion For This Useful Post:

Mopoke  (26-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd send whatever he's happy eating especially in the first few weeks while he's getting used to the place.

My almost 2 year old is still not eating anything that's not mashed so he gets 2 yoghurts, 1 Milky Bar dessert mousse, 1 big jar of casserole/bolgonaise and 1 little jar (baby food). We always put fruit, rusks, fruit sticks or crackers in but as always they get sent home or thrown out as he won't touch them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinkzy For This Useful Post:

Mopoke  (26-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Could you give him fruit, yoghurt, cereal etc for breakfast and save bread til lunch?

Things like leftover quiches, slices, patties, boiled egg he could eat cold.

Although when my son went to fdc, the carer heated up leftovers if needed.

My son's dc food is (he's veg);

Mt - fruit salad and yoghurt

Lunch: sandwich and half an avocado, pot of b beans

At: corn cakes, fruit, dried fruit

I would like to send egg and things with nuts, but his room is egg and nut free, unfortunately.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Mopoke  (26-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum used to do family day care from home, and she never minded heating up food.

Perhaps you could ask the carer if it is possible, so that will broaden your options a little?

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for your suggestions.

MsMummy -have heard of nut free childcare/school but not egg free. must make it a bit hard seeing you are vegetarian.

i would give him fruit but he already eats (scoffs more like) heaps of fruit and sometimes gets a bit of diarrohea if i let him eat as many grapes/blueberries as he wants. dont you just love purple poo that stains their bum?!

he doesnt really like youghurt, eats a bit of cheese but not that much (bought a pkt of 5 mini babybels for $4 the other day and he wont eat them. grrrr!)

rice cakes might work, he sometimes eats them plain, my hair dresser has caramel flavoured ones and he likes them (prob full of sugar though!). maybe if i put avacado orcream cheese or a little bit of vegemite on them.

after i wrote the op, i thought of pizza scrolls, i could freeze them as well. i might make some mini quiches tomorrow as well after i get some cheese (when the shops open, gotta love public holidays!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just put zucchini slice in for lunch tomorrow along with dried fruit, a little salad with avocado, lettuce, cucumber, grated carrot, and some fruit. Sometimes I put in rice cakes or corn thins with salad, spread, cheese, whatever really. Takes the place of a sandwich.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD started last week and i made mini quiches for her lunch they are yummy cold!! Easy recepie they take about 5 mins to prepare i will pm you the recepie if you like!

Corn thins rice crakers etc i give aswell. And thank god for squeezy yogurts and fruit!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crunchie View Post
    DD started last week and i made mini quiches for her lunch they are yummy cold!! Easy recepie they take about 5 mins to prepare i will pm you the recepie if you like!

Corn thins rice crakers etc i give aswell. And thank god for squeezy yogurts and fruit!
    that would be great,thanks. last time i attempted them they wernt really 'quichy' but more like baked scrambled egg with things (bacon, onion etc).