+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 11 yr old DD calls my DH 'dad'. She calls his parents grandma and grandad even though she has a relationship with her paternal grandparents. It's what she wanted to do, everyone was comfortable with it.

I called my step parents by their first names. I didn't like either of them, so there was no way I'd refer to them affectionately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    DS took to calling DP 'Dad' when he was 2/3 years old as it was how he felt about him, no encouragement from us at all. Unfortunately, his sperm donor yelled at him when he mentioned it one day and he's been to scared to voice his true feelings about his relationship with my DP and now calls refers to him by his first name but will introduce him as "my step dad".

His sperm donor took off and forgot about him about him altogether about 3 months ago and hasn't contacted us once, not even for Christmas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DSS calls me mum and has for about 3 years now and it's completely by his own choice. He's now 7 and his dad and I have been together since he was 18 months. He calls his mum's partner by his first name. They have only been together about 18 months but From a few things his said to me I really believe it's because DSS feels very insecure about his mum's relationship. Even though I've tried explaining to him his mum deserves to be happy he still thinks they're going to break up. I don't think anything has happened to give him that idea but she has had a few relationships in the past where they've lived together and then split up and it's really upset DSS, and I think he just thinks that it will happen again and again. I really hope for his sake that this current guy is the one for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD calls DF by his first name. Her bio dad sees her once a week and would be very upset if she started calling another man daddy. I would feel the same way if she started calling his gf mum. So I don't think we will ever be comfortable with it happening. When she's a bit older we'll explain that DF is her step dad and we'll be happy for her to use that term.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    She calls him by his first name.

She can call him whatever they both feel comfortable with, but while she has occasionally tested out "Dad" on him, she's gone back to his first name. She doesn't call anyone else "Dad" though - when she's talking about her father she refers to him by his first name too - she doesn't want to call him Dad or Daddy and that's fine by me. He doesn't deserve that title IMO, and not in her opinion either it seems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I call mine 'dad'. I've never known my bio dad though.
    Same. My boys call DP by his frist name though, but their bio dad is still very much in their lives. Stepson calls me by my first name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sperm Donor has seen my DD's 3 times in the last 2 years...
    They call my now DF Dad, by choice as he's the only Dad they've really known.
    X kicked up a big stink when he heard and wrote a big woe is me spiel on FB, I really couldn't couldn't care less. DD's don't even know who he is and he really doesn't deserve the title anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD has taken to calling my BF 'Daddy Pig', like off peppa Pig. She calls her Bio father Daddy. We havent corrected her, as she was calling BF by his 1st name until recently. I get called Mummy pig

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Unfair to who??
    DS1 calls DH Dad. I think it would have been really unfair for us to tell DS he couldn't call him Dad.
    My step son calls me by my 1st name.
    I call my step parents by their first name but my kids call them pop and grandma.
    Would you be okay if DS referred to his dads partner as 'Mum' if he had the same relationship with her as your DH?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Would you be okay if DS referred to his dads partner as 'Mum' if he had the same relationship with her as your DH?
    If she had raised him since he was 14 months old and I lived interstate. Only visiting him 3 times in 7 years and DS flying over once maybe twice a year to see me, while another woman raised him in every sense?
    I would succumb to the fact that I really didn't have a choice and she in fact was his 'mum' as well.
    Last edited by faroutbrusselsprout; 27-01-2012 at 20:23.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

AppleIsleSMum  (27-01-2012),Benji  (28-01-2012)