+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Apart from leaving bub with my DH when I did the food shopping (and usually we would all go together), I think he was about 5 months when my MIL would babysit for an hour twice a week while I did an exercise class. First overnight was at 20 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was about a month old when my inlaws babysat her for not quite an hour so DH and I could go out for dinner and have some time just for us. I have also left her with just my MIL when she was 7 weeks old for a few hours but it was early in the morning and she slept through until I got back from fishing with DH she didnt even know i was gone, i think it was hardest on me. Im definitely not ready to leave her for more than a few hours and definitely no over nighters yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The first time I left DS1 (with my parents) was when I went back to work at 11months.

He had one overnight when he was 2.5yrs, with his grandparents as a practice run for when DS2 was born (though DS2 came in the morning so it was unnecessary).

DS2 is 12 weeks and has never been left.

Stand strong. Do what you feel comfortable with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If your mum is really keen to babysit maybe she can do it with you there? She can get hugs and do the changes and settling and all that while you do something for yourself at home. It will give your mum some time with bub and give you a bit of a break without the anxiety of leaving them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    can not remember exactly when

but I think it was early I need my sleep

wish we had someone this time round a night to ourselves would be wonderful

Thanks
    Reviews
    First time I left DS he was 7 months - I left him with my parents for 3 hours whilst attending my friends 21st. I have never left him with anyone else. He is going to start daycare for 2 days a week when he is about 22months...I'm interested to see how I'll handle it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know how you feel. My mum bought concert tickets for DP & myself the day DS was born. DS was 16 weeks at the time of the concert and I was a wreck. Got home ASAP. The first overnighter was when I had to go away for work. He was 10 months old. I left him with DP who is more than capable. I dreaded the night for weeks and could not sleep. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid. All was fine - I worried for nothing. Guess you have to get used to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    is it sometimes an issue of trusting the person you are leaving them with
    knowing that they will follow your wishes

just another thought
    do people who do not have family close by have the same feeling about leaving baby or do they really want something they do not have access to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't really count bub being with their dad as 'leaving baby' - I think father vs babysitter (eg grandparent or other family member) is different but hey that's just me.

When ds was 5 days old I left him for 15 minutes with my dad, aunt, uncle, grandmother so I could buy some more feeding tops. I knew the ones I wanted and big w was just up the road!

When he was 4 weeks old we left him with his grandma (my mum) for about 4 hours, maybe 5.

Since then it's been every fortnight or so, now that I'm pregnant again my mum will have him for afew hours once a week on her day off. He's also had afew overnight stays.

When he was younger my mum was off travelling and we let MIL babysit. She's a control freak and long story short, we no longer let her babysit... Ever.

Mummy & Daddy - expanding our family! Our little man born April 2011 and now expecting another munchkin in August 2012! Loving it!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I left bub with my mum pretty early, about 2 weeks I think from memory. I had to duck into work, she was asleep and mum called once she woke up. She's had days out with MIL over Chrissy (she was 9 months). We have no family within about 1000kms so take the opportunity when it's offered. Certainly helps that we trust our mums implicitly

DP will often take her for a couple hours when he's on R&R so I can work

We left her with a good friend over night at 8.5 months (needed to for work) but again we trusted her and she lives us so knows the routine and is very familiar to DD

It all depends what and who you are comfortable with. DD is an angel until I walk in the door!