+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Hospital policies for 2nd, 3rd, 4th vbac etc?

Hello, I've had 2 vbacs. The first was induced, I had an epidural and continuous monitoring etc, all good.

The second was spontaneous, as I dont dilate until the very end they refused to believe I was in labour so had no monitoring at all and was left alone, did my own thing etc. Certainly nobody seemed to care at all that it was a vbac.

If i have another baby I'd like to take a birth pool to the hospital (some allow this). Does anyone know what hospital policies are for repeat vbacs?

I refuse to labour with continuous monitoring, its just unfair to expect it IMO (unless you've had an epi).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I am having my 3rd VBAC this time I will be avoiding as much intervention as possible and will also be asking to delay the cord cutting until the placenta is birthed and baby to be breastfed right after it is born so help lessen the chance of a PPH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi hokey I think those things will be easy to arrange - I had them in both vbacs so far and I think breast feeding straight away would be policy really. It's more the labour I'm worried about. I absolutely do not want continuous monitoring and would also prefer not to be guilt tripped about it lol! Best wishes for your next birth x

Thanks
    Reviews
    if you have had 2vbac I don't think it would be an issue you have proven that you can deliver vaginally

the policies are hospital dependant so pick where you want to go get a copy of the policies and work with the hospital rather than guessing would be my advise

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think after you have your first vbac the next labor is not considered a vbac as your last was a vaginal birth not cs (does that make sense?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Most hospitals will consider you high risk is you have ever had a c/sec, regardless of how many vaginal births you've had before or after that c/sec.

It will all depend on where you want to birth and what their individual policies are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smootch View Post
    I think after you have your first vbac the next labor is not considered a vbac as your last was a vaginal birth not cs (does that make sense?)
    That was what I was trying to say, is monitoring also not like anything else that happens/offered in birthing a choice say no be aware of any risks and make a decision of how you want to birth but of course the baby has the final say

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol after 32 hours of labour in my last birth I actually asked for a c-sec and they said I couldn't have one with no medical reason lol.

I said yes I can as it's a vbac! Then they said well we aren't calling a doctor in on Christmas Eve.

Anyway all good all ended well lol.

(And in the same hospital, in my first vbac, they were absolutely pressuring me to cave in and have a c-sec the whole way through my labour )

tbh I feel like it's just your luck on the night half the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Lol after 32 hours of labour in my last birth I actually asked for a c-sec and they said I couldn't have one with no medical reason lol.
    That's too funny for words - NOT

another reason I am glad I had an ob

Thanks
    Reviews
    ohdear - although yes it's my decision as to which policies I go along wtih, there is nothing worse than to be in labour and have someone come along and say something like 'why arent you being monitored did you know your baby could die' or whatever.

I find that any kind of negativity etc etc has such a powerful effect in labour, I would really rather not deal with it at all.