+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Honestly, public transport in brisbane is awful, getting to UQ can take along time from anywhere. If hubby drives to work, I would be inclined to live closer to uni and pay a bit more, the suburbs are nicer and he will be going against traffic anyway. I would look at indro, toowong, chelmer, on the ipswich line or fairfield area for bus access to uni.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

MsMummy  (26-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think we going to try out Waterford
    Last edited by Sammyp; 11-04-2012 at 22:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I dont think that is a good idea, because:
    * as you said, public transport around the Waterford / Marsden area is very poor, and
    * if hubby drives you into uni in the morning, you'll be fighting heavy traffic.
    * when/if you get a second car to drive to uni, you'll be up for high parking costs, and stuck in peak traffic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I wouldn't want to live in or around Marsden either. To get an idea of how dodgy it is, do up an insurance quote and compare it to a more desirable inner area.
    I lived in Logan for about 9 months... my car insurance alone went up $600/yr. I was told that i was in such a dodgy area that they couldn't even offer me contents insurance but because i had been with my insurer for a fair few years they were willing to make an exemption and just up my premium.
    It's not nice. I had a lady either off her head of drugs or drunk reverse into the front of my car at Marsden.
    You hear so many horror stories from people that live there or have lived there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    Indooroopilly, chapel hill, kenmore would be good. They are safe, middle class type areas with shops, schools and 10k or less to cbd. Plus proximity to western freeway for wacol commute.

It would only take your partner 15-20 mins by car to get to wacol, and less than an hour to get to uq by pt.

Living on a train line is good, but the train doesn't go to uq. It goes to toowong, and then you catch a bus to uq.

Re Springfield, I don't think the train line is completed there yet.

With the OP's budget of $300- $450k, you would be hard pressed buying a house in Indooroopilly, Chapel Hill and Kenmore unfortunately, though they are awesome suburbs to live in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The Centenary suburbs would be ideal, as you have Wacol and Darra stations nearby, buses and of course the Western freeway, however the suburbs are quite pricey, especially Mt Ommaney, Jindalee, Westlake, Sinnamon Park, Seventeen Mile Rocks, Middle Park.

However if you try looking in Riverhills and Jamboree Heights you can often find 3 to 4 bedders for under $450k.

Another consideration could be Darra, again, close to public transport, very close to Wacol where your DH works etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The OP is only looking to rent. You can get a house in Kenmore for under that pw, but nothing new-ish. eg. our large 1960s house (that needs renovating), but is on a quiet street, and 300m to a city bus, and 500m to a uni bus, would probably rent for about $400. Maybe more if renovated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh ok, MsMummy, I read the original post and didn't realise it was to rent, not buy.

A lot of students rent in Kenmore, Chapel Hill etc, so you're right, they should be able to rent in that price bracket.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kenmore is really a daggy type suburb, the type of suburb where your 50yo parents live, but I love it, and am always trying to convert people. but I don't think I had a win in this thread.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I like Kenmore too, heaps of trees, decent Schools and people, but yes, you're right, it is definitely a hot spot for the 'middle aged' crew! (they're usually th eonly ones who can afford to buy there!).