+ Reply to Thread
    Farmerwife is offline Excited & Nervous about being a mum for the first time in August :-)
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bicornuate Uterus

Hi! I just had my dr appointment to go over my ultrasound report. I was told I have a Bicornuate Uterus & polycystic ovaries. Bub is in the left horn & the report said the baby is viable.

Dr didn't say much more just that I can look it up if I want.

Well I did & now I have more questions than answers!

So I was wondering if anyone else here has the same type of abnormal uterus?

TIA xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yep I have it too with 2 healthy kids It does up your chance of breech and posterior positions though, both mine were breech and ended in c/s. The pronounced septum stops them from turning to vertex. Both mine sat in the right horn and I had this massive bulge on the right, it looked rather bizarre

3. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Farmerwife  (26-01-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi,

My sister was originally diagnosed as having a bicornuate, but was later diagnosed as having uterus didelpys - so, two complete uterus' (same size), two cervix and she had two vaginas (fully septated, but the septum was removed during an operation when she was a teen).

She carried her bubba to 37 weeks, and had a natural delivery.

C/s rate can be high with this type of uterine abnormality, as baby is sometimes unable to turn around (resulting in breech), and also because sometimes one side will contract but the other won't. However, there are many stories of natural births regardless of this!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Farmerwife  (26-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Same! I had all 4 babies in the right horn. One breech prem, one lost (not related to the BU), one breech but turned with alternative therapies but ended in c-sec (posterior) one a perfect VBA2C!
    I did have trouble falling pregnant a few times as I only ovulate from the right.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

Farmerwife  (26-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I have a BU. When you google BU it dose sound scary but it really isn't!!
    I get preg really really easy, hence why I'm preg now haha.
    My first bub was on my right side and my stomach use to poke out alot more on my right. He liked to lay across my stomach with his head poking out my left side and his butt poking out the right it looked abit wired cos you could see 2 round bumps where his head n butt were and it hurt abit. He had no trouble turning head down. I needed a c sect at 36 weeks not to do with BC so not sure what the birth would have been like but he swapped from head down to transverse a lot so my OB said he most prob would have been head down for the birth.
    I'm 15 weeks preg n bub is on my right side again. Up until yesterday was on my right side and my stomach looked strange but now it's in the middle under my belly button
    Try not to worry Congrats on your pregnancy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Winterbubs1012 For This Useful Post:

Farmerwife  (26-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Farmerwife,

If you haven't already, I would suggest you join the yahoo support group:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...rianAnomalies/

I have a bicornate uterus and did have a full septum that extended from the fundus to the internal O/S, it took 3 surgeries to remove. I had my DD before we knew about the septum (it never showed up in normal u/s), although we did know about the BU. I went into pre-term labour at 32weeks, but we managed to keep her in until 37weeks, so a great outcome. I did have a couple of losses before my DD, which were more than likely due to the septum, but early losses are more common with septate uterus, rather than bicornate. I had another two losses after my DD and septum removal, but they were not related to the BU - I am currently 24wks pregnant!

Anyway, if you do join the yahoo group you will find an amazing amount of information and support from some very knowledgable women.

Good luck!

Cate

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CateD For This Useful Post:

Farmerwife  (26-01-2012)

Farmerwife is offline Excited & Nervous about being a mum for the first time in August :-)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all soooo much! What great stories of your pregnancies.

It really helps to hear it's possible for a successful pregnancy :-) I tend to be a bit paranoid & all I saw on the internet was "spontaneous abortion" & "pre-term labour" but I didn't realise it would be possible to hopefully get through to 36-37 weeks which sounds much better for bub.

I will probably have to look into finding an ob now, just to be on the safe side. I live in the country & was planning on having bub at the closest hospital which can deliver babies & it's 45 minutes away but they can't do cesareans there, the closest hospital for a c-section is nearly 2 hours away but if there is a fairly good chance I'm going to need one I think I would like to know who is going to be doing it as I have a bit of a fear of surgery :-( & petrified of needles!

Thank you all so much, I'm feeling much better now. Fingers crossed all goes well for this little bub & he/she finds it comfy enough in my uterus :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CateD View Post
    Hi Farmerwife,

If you haven't already, I would suggest you join the yahoo support group:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...rianAnomalies/

I have a bicornate uterus and did have a full septum that extended from the fundus to the internal O/S, it took 3 surgeries to remove. I had my DD before we knew about the septum (it never showed up in normal u/s), although we did know about the BU. I went into pre-term labour at 32weeks, but we managed to keep her in until 37weeks, so a great outcome. I did have a couple of losses before my DD, which were more than likely due to the septum, but early losses are more common with septate uterus, rather than bicornate. I had another two losses after my DD and septum removal, but they were not related to the BU - I am currently 24wks pregnant!

Anyway, if you do join the yahoo group you will find an amazing amount of information and support from some very knowledgable women.

Good luck!

Cate
    Thank you so much cate, I will join the group, I think it will really help me understand what's going on in my body! Thank you :-)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmerwife For This Useful Post:

CateD  (26-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have this! It was discovered in an ultrasound back in 2010 when I was TTC for 2 yrs at the time and they were running tests. I have a laparoscopy/hysterosopy to check that along with other things in Feb 2011 and found the dent or whatever you want to call it small. My OB isn't that concerned because I told him my mum has the same thing and carried me and my brother to full term, though I was breech and she had a C section lol. There is a chance I could go into preterm labour and there is a chance that I won't. So at this stage I am not worried and praying for the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have a BU, and I had a septum dividing the uterus into two. I found this out before TTC & had the septum removed on advice of my gyno. Glad I did, as I had other unrelated complications during pregnancy.