+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default HCG after miscarriage - how long until it leaves?

Hi girls,

Sorry for the random questions lately. I've tried looking for this answer through some of my books I had, however I can't find the answer anywhere! So frustrating!

I had a 'missed' miscarriage on the 12th Jan & had a d&c which went as well as it could. My ob/gyn told me that my hcg should drop pretty quickly afterwards, in the matter of a couple of weeks. My doctor doesn't want to do a blood test until about a week and a half time to check hcg levels again.

I found an old first response pregnancy test in the back of the cupboard so I thought I would try it as I thought there would be next to no hormones left. I was expecting to see a very faint line at the most. I took it & it was so bright staight away. The test line is way, way brighter than the control line. The brightest I;ve ever seen the test.

So my question is, how long does it take for hormones to actually leave the system after a miscarriage? I'm just really confused.

The only reason I wanted to know is that so later in the future when we start trying again I will know when I can start testing again & get a reliable result, not just left over hormones from this miscarriage. I know that at the time of my last blood test (10th Jan) hcg was at approx 58 000 (can't remember the exact number!).

Thanks heaps for any replies, I just have no idea & curious to see how long it took others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    can take quite awhile in my case but that was an ectopic and far lower hcg but it was weeks i would be waiting a few cycles

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ohdear For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My HCG was way lower when I had a m/c at 6 weeks. It only got to about 500 I think, can't really remember though. It took about 4 weeks to drop back down completely and for my body to ovulate again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Firstly I'm so sorry for your loss.
    My basic understanding of all this is that you won't ovulate again until your hcg level is back to 0. So you won't have to worry about an accurate test. I started doing OPK's when my bleeding stopped so that I knew when it would happen. It seems to vary, some people ovulate two weeks after their loss whilst others take many more. It's so frustrating waiting.
    I tried to use the time focusing on my health (both physical and mental).
    Good luck and I hope that sticky bub is just around the corner xx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluemoon82 For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Rocky27,
    I have the same questions. Im a week out from losing triplets. The singleton went about a week before at 9 weeks and they think the identicals passed either the morning of or the night before my scan at 10 weeks. My beta was 290000!!! I still feel pretty crappy and everyone keeps saying it will take a long time for those numbers to go down. I developed hyperthyroid which I believe was pregnancy induced and also caused the loss, but i am wondering if the fact that my body is metabolising faster then maybe it will cause my hormone to go down faster. I am going to have BT next week which will make it two weeks since the curette.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dextersmum For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, I had 2 miscarriages directly after each other, no break between pregnancies.. I lost the second about 3 months ago, had my bloods take around 6 weeks following as they believed it may have been a molar pregnancy, and they were still quite high, they recommended a 3 month wait before we try again ( if my mental health allows!) to ensure a few cycles clears my system out of hormones.. My doc explained that the hormones are also embedded in my uterus?? Hope thus helps..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lauradim For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just had surgery to remove an ectopic. On friday, the day before surgery, HCG was 1100. 3 days after suregery it was 81.
    My FS said HCG often drops down to 10% of its original level in a week. Obviously its different for everyone and depends whether a D&C is required.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to quin For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I had a D&C for my second miscarriage, and my levels were still up, thats when they said a minimum 3 month wait for hormones to drop, must be assessed individually... I would def recommend having a blood test before you start actively trying again, just to make sure, want to give the baby best chance it's got..

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lauradim For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (28-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi girls, thank-you so much for all the great replies! Wow, I can't believe how different it seems to be with each person. I'm so sorry for everyones losses & thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Ohdear & Cue, I had a feeling it would be weeks to drop but I didn't think it would take quite this long. I was thinking after the d&c it would drop more a less straight away, I had no idea! Thanks for letting me know.

Angelmummy, thanks heaps for your reply, I'm so sorry for your loss too.
    Thanks for letting me know that my body shouldn't ovulate until my hcg drops more, thats a relief to know. I wasn't too sure how it all happened again. OPK's never worked for me so I haven't started using them again. I've tried foccusing on other things to such as health which I've found to be a positive thing & a good distraction.

Dextersmum, I'm so sorry to hear that you lost triplets. Wow, your hcg level was really high. I hope the BT's next week all go well & you get some answers as to where your body's at. I'm approx 2 weeks since having d&c & was thinking of going to my gp on Mon to see what hcg is doing and where its at. Its not fair, as some days I still feel faint pregnancy symptoms & I think its due to still having hcg in my system. Let us know how you go.

Lauradim, you poor thing, I'm so sorry to hear about your losses too. I have my fingers crossed for you. Its just not fair and is alot for you to go through. I will def go & get my levels checked soon I think just so I know where I'm at.

Quin, wow that dropped quite fast. Yeah, I had a feeling it would differ in person to person. Thanks for letting me know.

I'm so sorry if I've left anyone out. Am trying to type this really fast before dinner & have had a wine!

Thanks again for all the replies

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an hcg reading at 5 weeks pregnant of 192. 3 days later I started bleeding and the next day hcg was 22. Can I assume the hcg will leave my body very soon since the number is already so low?

Sorry to all those who have lost babies and hope u all fall pregnant quickly.