+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    An x-ray of your pelvis tells you exactly nothing.

It only gives a picture of the way your pelvis sits when it is not in labour. Labour is a dynamic process and the pelvis, being a non fixed structure which stretches and opens as the baby descends will only be seen at it's fullest potential while you are actively birthing a baby.

There are many positions you can use while labouring to help widen the way your pelvis is opening, but this is different for every woman, and often different for every baby as well. The mothers intuition while labouring with regard to labour positioning (hands and knees, squatting, walking etc) is incredibly important, as her body instinctively reacts to the pressures the baby brings to bear as it is corkscrewing out of her body.

An Ob sitting in their office telling you point blank your pelvis is too small is not only saying something that it would take a psychic to know, they are also in my opinion committing a huge sin, which is making you begin to lose faith that your amazing, custom built body is in some way defective. That is simply NOT ok, nothing of the sort is even remotely begun to be seen, and they are SO often proved to be dead wong about these predictions. This kind of thing makes me extremely angry.

Another really good resource with heaps of info about your amazing pelvis, is The Pink Kit http://thepinkkit.com/the-pink-kit-package.html
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 26-01-2012 at 08:35.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (31-01-2012),Gandalf  (31-01-2012),GreenMama  (26-01-2012),Opinionated  (01-02-2012),Witwicky  (31-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My mom was told this before she had my brother but she was still allowed to 'try' as she was quite determinded to have a natural birth. Anyway, it ended up that her pelvis was too small (she is tiny and my dad is massive lol) and after many hours with no success and a distressed baby she had an emercency c-section. I don't think she regrets it though as she wanted to find out for herself. She did however have a booked c-section for me a couple of years later as she already knew that she couldn't go naturally and said that the experience was nicer because she was still awake when it happened etc...

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    An x-ray of your pelvis tells you exactly nothing.

It only gives a picture of the way your pelvis sits when it is not in labour. Labour is a dynamic process and the pelvis, being a non fixed structure which stretches and opens as the baby descends will only be seen at it's fullest potential while you are actively birthing a baby.

There are many positions you can use while labouring to help widen the way your pelvis is opening, but this is different for every woman, and often different for every baby as well. The mothers intuition while labouring with regard to labour positioning (hands and knees, squatting, walking etc) is incredibly important, as her body instinctively reacts to the pressures the baby brings to bear as it is corkscrewing out of her body.

An Ob sitting in their office telling you point blank your pelvis is too small is not only saying something that it would take a psychic to know, they are also in my opinion committing a huge sin, which is making you begin to lose faith that your amazing, custom built body is in some way defective. That is simply NOT ok, nothing of the sort is even remotely begun to be seen, and they are SO often proved to be dead wong about these predictions. This kind of thing makes me extremely angry.

Another really good resource with heaps of info about your amazing pelvis, is The Pink Kit http://thepinkkit.com/the-pink-kit-package.html
    This.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree agree agree!!! Reading this is making me so angry that I just had to respond even though the amazing women who have gotten in before me have pretty much said it all!! Just wanted to add though, that you could try some osteopathy and/or chiro which would identify whether you have any pelvic malignment issues that could be dealt with prior to labour. It's definately the case that your pelvis will soften and open and your coxic bone will actually move outwards during labour to accomodate your babies head - as long as you are not lying on your back which makes this normal physiological process almost impossible! You should also Google 'Pelvic Mapping' which can help you identitify the shape of your pelvis and work out what positions might work for you during labour in terms of opening up for your baby. Also (gee I had more to add that I thought!) your baby will help you out in all this by turning during labour so the fact that your baby may be in one position right now and infact when labour starts, is no indication of how they will progress through the birth canal. Babies are built for birth also and it is actually widely believed that it is the release of a hormone from the baby that triggers labour - although the specifics of this are not understood. So it makes total sense that your baby and your body will not go into labour until both are ready.

My main tips for promoting good positioning during labour are: stay active, stay the hell off the bed, avoid vaginal examinations as they are no indication of how labour will actually progress and can actually slow things down, avoid induction and augmentation and stay focussed on the fact that your body is most definately custom made to birth your baby!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I disagree with most of the women here (usually do, sigh). I have often met women in labour whose babies just did not engage in the pelvis, leading to total failure to progress and c/s. Often CPD plays a big part in that. I don't know where people get the idea it's really rare.

I agree it's impossible to tell just by looking at you (usually). X-rays also unhelpful. Usually the only way to know is to assess bub's head closer to/during labour.

By all means get a second opinion, and personally I don't see any harm in just playing it by ear and seeing if your baby DOES engage, or begins descent. That's probably what I would do in that situation because I am very pro vaginal birth. But all the fiery "that doesn't happen"/"obstetrician is devil and lying" replies here have me totally baffled.

Take all advice on bubhub with a huge handful of salt (including mine!) because many women are heavily affected by their own stories and agendas.

Good luck getting a safe birth that you are happy with!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I say you never know until you are in labour. I had a very long labour with my daughter and needed a cs. I have wide hips (to the eye at least!) BUT I have since discovered one side of my pelvis is most likely larger than the other (I have a weird thing where my bones on one side of my body are slightly longer than the other - never diagnosed, but I can SEE it!). Anyway, if your pelvis is not symmetrical, it may not magically open up like it's supposed to because the ligaments etc are probably not in optimal condition due to stresses on them due to the assymetry. I have read about getting pelvic release done to release all the muscles and ligaments, but it was an american website so not sure much is known about it here.

I think the physical size of the pelvis has very little to do with it. If it's "normal" then it "should" open up. I'd just give it a go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    I disagree with most of the women here (usually do, sigh). I have often met women in labour whose babies just did not engage in the pelvis, leading to total failure to progress and c/s. Often CPD plays a big part in that. I don't know where people get the idea it's really rare.

I agree it's impossible to tell just by looking at you (usually). X-rays also unhelpful. Usually the only way to know is to assess bub's head closer to/during labour.

By all means get a second opinion, and personally I don't see any harm in just playing it by ear and seeing if your baby DOES engage, or begins descent. That's probably what I would do in that situation because I am very pro vaginal birth. But all the fiery "that doesn't happen"/"obstetrician is devil and lying" replies here have me totally baffled.

Take all advice on bubhub with a huge handful of salt (including mine!) because many women are heavily affected by their own stories and agendas.

Good luck getting a safe birth that you are happy with!
    AGREE! From all I had read on bubhub I totally believed my body just knew how to birth, so I endured 60 hours of labour (not all hardcore mind you, but several excruciating hours), and now I know it hurt THAT bad because my body was not able to birth. head never engaged properly so I never fully dilated, after 60 hours of REGULAR contractions, no less than 6 minutes apart.

Now you could argue I'm also biased from my own experiences. I just know now that the whole "just trust your body" thing isn't fool-proof because not everyone's body is able to birth, and you probably won't know if this is you beforehand. So by all means go in there with a positive attitude but do your research and understand it's ok if you're one of those women who need help birthing your baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont know why some people bother seeing medical professionals if you never believe what they say, it is such a recurring theme on bubhub. A girl I use to work with rejected the advice from her ob that her baby wouldnt fit through her pelvis (she was a 'bigger boned girl') and then her baby had a stroke in the birth canal and is lucky to be alive. Her whole life is now spent in hospitals etc for all the damage it caused. Needless to say she listened in the end and thankfully went on to have 2 more perfect babies - via csection.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub