+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Caesarean due to tiny pelvis??

Has anyone had to have a c-section as the drs think their pelvis might be too small for Bub to come out naturally?? My doc pit this on my radar as a possibility at my appt yesterday. She did say Bub might engage properly and we might be able to have a natural birth, but that in her opinion it was unlikely and we should start thinking about a booked c-section (rather than ending up with an emergency c-section). She also said it was highly unlikely I'd be allowed to go beyond my due date...

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this? And what your thoughts/experiences are?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Run, run for the hills.
    There is no way in h3ll your doctor can determine the size of your pelvis just by looking at you. True CPD is extremely rare. Your doctor is trying to scare you and make things more convenient for her. I'm sorry, I know that sounds harsh and you probably trust her so will defend her but please, please, please research this. It truly is a scare tactic and it's sickening.
    My first client as a doula was told she couldn't birth a baby bigger than 8lb naturally after having a c-section with her 1st. Her second was smaller, her third she birthed naturally was over 11lb.
    I have a very small frame and lots of uneducated people asked me if I was able to birth a baby vaginally due to how little I am....I birthed two 9lb babies and one 10lb baby with no dramas.
    I'm so sorry that your doctor is trying to pull this one on you but arm yourself with information and tell her to go and get f@ked.

Oh also, my baby's never fully engaged until I went in to labour. It's not an indication of a small pelvis at all.

3. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

Atlantic Puffin  (31-01-2012),BabyG4  (31-01-2012),Berrie  (25-01-2012),Busy-Bee  (25-01-2012),changethestars  (25-01-2012),Deserama  (25-01-2012),Gandalf  (31-01-2012),Gracie's Mum  (25-01-2012),kbf2plus2  (26-01-2012),LotusMum  (01-02-2012),MilkingMaid  (25-01-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (25-01-2012),Opinionated  (01-02-2012),Pixie83  (25-01-2012),Tam-I-Am  (31-01-2012),Witwicky  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm afraid I don't have personal experience but I strongly urge you to do some research on the topic and maybe get a second opinion. Remember the pelvic ligaments loosen and the pelvis widens during pregnancy and birth. Having a pelvis too small for natural birth is incredibly rare.

Hate to ask, but does the doc have holidays scheduled??

Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to changethestars For This Useful Post:

Pixie83  (25-01-2012),Witwicky  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm with Areca...RUNNN!!!!

Seriously though...I have the body of a 12 year old child and I easily birthed my DD through my 'small pelvis'...Our bodies are designed to birth babies, it sounds like your Dr is trying to plan your birth to suit herself! How did she come to that conclusion anyway?? Just by looking at you? Scary stuff...please go and see someone else and get their opinion!!

Good luck!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gracie's Mum For This Useful Post:

Pixie83  (25-01-2012),Witwicky  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well it's not to suit her.... I'm doing shared care between my GP (who is obstetrics trained) and the public hospy...so she won't be at the birth. So now I'm confused...I'd thought that the body would loosen up enough (and you ladies have kindly confirmed this for me), but on the other hand my mum had an emergency c-section with me and was told afterwards (x-rays of pelvis etc) that there was no way I would have fitted on the way out.... Will have to do some more reading me thinks, my preference is definitely for a natural birth, but also want the best thing for Bub (whatever that may be!).

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi pixie. This happened to me. After many hours of labour I was not dilating and babies head simply could not fit. I had a c section in the end. Of course a natural birth was what I tried for but I have no negative feelings with the outcome or recovery. Healthy bub healthy mum. The joke now is that it's my dads fault coz his head is so big that his school hats used to have to be custom made hahaha. Maybe it's the babies head circumference as well as my pelvic size. Who knows???Anyway I am not saying you should have an elective c section by any means. Just that what the doc said to you can be true in some cases. Ps I weigh 50 kilos and am 162 cms just in case that matters?
    Good luck whatever happens xxx
    Pps I would prob seek another opinion too. If I hadn't 'tried' for a natural birth maybe I would have felt guilty or something? Everyone seems quite against elective c sections these days?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Milly Molly Mandy For This Useful Post:

Pixie83  (25-01-2012)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (25-01-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (25-01-2012),Pixie83  (25-01-2012),Witwicky  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Pixie,

Unfortunately, this happened to me. At 37 weeks, the dreaded "C" word was raised because my DD was still very high & my OB started mentioning that maybe my pelvis was too small. (I'm 5' 3" & a size 6.) Fast forward to 40 weeks, baby still not descending, I've tried every trick in the book but still no sign of labour. OB tells me that he is concerned that baby may not fit through my pelvis & that even if I go into labour naturally, she might get stuck/go into distress & I would likely end up with an emergency c-section. He advised against an induction because she was still high, cervix high & closed & his opinion was an induction would fail. He also didn't want me going past my due date because baby would continue to grow which would increase the risk of getting stuck. I'm guessing some of this sounds familiar?

I was adamant that I wanted a natural birth but I let the opinion of my OB (who was the Head of Obstretrics at my hospital & very respected so I trusted him) & the pressure of my DH & family to get to me. I was hormonal, scared, confused & so sadly, I caved. My DD was born by scheduled c-section at 41+2. She was 2.9kg & had a 34cm HC. I was delighted that she was born safely but devastated that I missed out on a natural birth.

19 months on & I'm still upset at myself for agreeing to the c-section & am filled with regret. It was the wrong decision for me & sadly, I have now learnt that it is an all too common spiel. Yes, you should listen to a doctor's opinion but you should listen to yourself, educate yourself & trust your instincts. Don't let yourself be bullied into a major surgery.

Sending you best wishes for a safe & healthy delivery of your bub.

Sent from my mobile using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Pixie,

Unfortunately, this happened to me. At 37 weeks, the dreaded "C" word was raised because my DD was still very high & my OB started mentioning that maybe my pelvis was too small. (I'm 5' 3" & a size 6.) Fast forward to 40 weeks, baby still not descending, I've tried every trick in the book but still no sign of labour. OB tells me that he is concerned that baby may not fit through my pelvis & that even if I go into labour naturally, she might get stuck/go into distress & I would likely end up with an emergency c-section. He advised against an induction because she was still high, cervix high & closed & his opinion was an induction would fail. He also didn't want me going past my due date because baby would continue to grow which would increase the risk of getting stuck. I'm guessing some of this sounds familiar?

I was adamant that I wanted a natural birth but I let the opinion of my OB (who was the Head of Obstretrics at my hospital & very respected so I trusted him) & the pressure of my DH & family to get to me. I was hormonal, scared, confused & so sadly, I caved. My DD was born by scheduled c-section at 41+2. She was 2.9kg & had a 34cm HC. I was delighted that she was born safely but devastated that I missed out on a natural birth.

19 months on & I'm still upset at myself for agreeing to the c-section & am filled with regret. It was the wrong decision for me & sadly, I have now learnt that it is an all too common spiel. Yes, you should listen to a doctor's opinion but you should listen to yourself, educate yourself & trust your instincts. Don't let yourself be bullied into a major surgery.

Sending you best wishes for a safe & healthy delivery of your bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told this because I had 1/2 cm left to dilate and was not happening.
    Doc said it I believed him went on to a c section.
    Neva again unless they X-ray me and tell me its to small I will refuse.
    Iv done a lot of research and it's very rare