+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Using TENS for pelvic floor recovery

Are there any physios around? I'm trying to find out whether this really works.... I am hearing different reports, conflicting research, etc.

You can get a probe to use with a tens machine which is designed to assist in regaining pelvic floor tone.

Does anyone have any actual experience with this?

(ps not for me personally but hey i could give it a whirl for research)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not used it personally and not a physio. But you know my story . I have read up about it. Apparently there is no proof that it works. But anecdotal evidence, women say that previously they could not feel where their pelvic floor was, or their muscles just did not respond at all. Then after using this method they could not only understand where the musces were, but it initially kick-starts a muscle response to get them working again.

I'd be willing to try after this baby too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmmm.... I am thinking of ordering one and just giving it a go! Not sure whether I'm a suitable candidate but I guess I'd have more knowledge than I did.

What you say makes sense, so many women just do not know how to activate the muscles.

When I started going to physio recently, I had to learn how to use my lower stomach muscles again..... she would tell me to tighten them and I was like huh, I have no idea how to do that. But it did come back and now I think its so weird that I didnt know how to. She said teh brain has to learn how to turn the muscles on again etc.

So it makes sense to me that if she could have given me a kickstart with a tens, I would have had a lightbulb moment and understood what she was talking about.