+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firstly these are not stupid questions at all! I asked exactly the same ones + many more!! Hope the following answers help a little.

Quote Originally Posted by samantha81 View Post
    Hi guys! I have really stupid questions to ask about starting solids which may make you think "what a dumb head..she doesnt know that!''.. but please be kind and help

1)starting solids...what to start(apart from rice cereal) and how often to give from day1?? like just once a day initially? I started by giving DS a teaspoon of cereal, then 3 days later tried a teaspoon of blended carrot as well as the cereal then 3 days later a teaspoon of stewed apple ( so the apple acted as a desert and the cereal was mixed with the carrot). Keep increasing the quantities over a few weeks until you end up with 3 small meals, then you can make them larger and more varied over time. After a month or so of purees I gave him pieces of well cooked greens etc as well which he loves.

2) how quickly do you introduce new foods? Every 3 days so that you can look for any reactions etc

3) do I need to buy a proper steamer to steam stuff like potatoes,etc? what other way can I do it? No I boiled them or used a metal steamer that just sits above your saucepan.

4) do I purree all the solids in like in a blender or just mush it with a fork? blend at first until he is used to swallowing then start to squash with a fork instead - takes a month or 2

5)how do you 'stew' an apple? what else can you stew? peel it, slice it, add a little boling water and simmer until its soft, then blend.

6)after reading alot of threads on how horrible rice cereal is, how can i make my own cereal (also have seen that mentioned afew times)?? i started on it but DS was SOOOO constipated I stopped withing the first week and have never touched it since. I just gave him veg and fruit.

You sound like your doing really well, never appologise for asking for help its not something you think about until you have a baby of your own

Thanks in advance for all your replies!! Theres just so much info out there that I'm just confused!! and thankyou for not laughing at this silly first time mummy !!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KillerHeels For This Useful Post:

samantha81  (27-01-2012)