+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Red face Really dumb questions about starting solids...please don't judge me!!

Hi guys! I have really stupid questions to ask about starting solids which may make you think "what a dumb head..she doesnt know that!''.. but please be kind and help

1)starting solids...what to start(apart from rice cereal) and how often to give from day1?? like just once a day initially?
    2) how quickly do you introduce new foods?
    3) do I need to buy a proper steamer to steam stuff like potatoes,etc? what other way can I do it?
    4) do I purree all the solids in like in a blender or just mush it with a fork?
    5)how do you 'stew' an apple? what else can you stew?
    6)after reading alot of threads on how horrible rice cereal is, how can i make my own cereal (also have seen that mentioned afew times)??

Thanks in advance for all your replies!! Theres just so much info out there that I'm just confused!! and thankyou for not laughing at this silly first time mummy !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not at the solids stage yet, but have a google for baby led weaning, that's what I plan on doing when my little boy is old enough

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (25-01-2012),samantha81  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think the traditional way of giving solids is a bit confusing and time consuming.

I just did baby led weaning from 6 months. It was very easy. You just put pieces of food on your baby's high chair tray, and they pick them up and eat them.

I would steam the veg, but not the fruit. You can do the veg in the microwave or a saucepan with a little metal steamer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

samantha81  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    1)starting solids...what to start(apart from rice cereal) and how often to give from day1?? like just once a day initially? You can you different types of pureed veges

2) how quickly do you introduce new foods? They recommend giving a food for 3 days before introducing a different one in case of an allergy or reaction. After you have tried a whole variety individually you can then start mixing different varieties together

3) do I need to buy a proper steamer to steam stuff like potatoes,etc? what other way can I do it? I just boil the veges as you normally would but of cos don't add salt or anything to them

4) do I purree all the solids in like in a blender or just mush it with a fork? To start with puree it in a blender or with a stick mixer.

5)how do you 'stew' an apple? what else can you stew? Peel and cut up the apple, pop it in a saucepan with a little bit of water in the bottom, don't cover them in water. I do pears as well

6)after reading alot of threads on how horrible rice cereal is, how can i make my own cereal (also have seen that mentioned afew times)?? Not sure about this one.. i just use rice cereal

This is a really good site whether you choose to do it this way or do baby led weaning. Personally i don't like baby led weaning but everybody is different

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/

HTH

Last edited by insanity; 25-01-2012 at 08:44.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to insanity For This Useful Post:

samantha81  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot to add.. you don't have to make food every day. You can make up a batch and freeze it in ice cube trays or little containers. I do a big batch every week or 2. It doesn't take long to do and i don't find it time consuming

9. The Following User Says Thank You to insanity For This Useful Post:

samantha81  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks soo much guys!! Im planning on reading baby led weaning.
    Tasha-- thankyou for giving such a great and comprehensive reply ..I really appreciate it !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samantha81 View Post
    Hi guys! I have really stupid questions to ask about starting solids which may make you think "what a dumb head..she doesnt know that!''.. but please be kind and help

1)starting solids...what to start(apart from rice cereal) and how often to give from day1?? like just once a day initially?
    2) how quickly do you introduce new foods?
    3) do I need to buy a proper steamer to steam stuff like potatoes,etc? what other way can I do it?
    4) do I purree all the solids in like in a blender or just mush it with a fork?
    5)how do you 'stew' an apple? what else can you stew?
    6)after reading alot of threads on how horrible rice cereal is, how can i make my own cereal (also have seen that mentioned afew times)??

Thanks in advance for all your replies!! Theres just so much info out there that I'm just confused!! and thankyou for not laughing at this silly first time mummy !!
    I also really recommend looking into baby led weaning, you can buy the book from Gil Rapley, I only did BLW with my son and it was the best decision - he was eating fish, curries, noodles, all veg, all fruit , pasta, meats and pretty much everything we ate by 8 months! I never puréed anything and people were amazed to see a 7 month old gnawing on a corn cob or eating grilled salmon!

How old is your bubba and what age do you want to start?
    If baby is 6 months plus and you do want to go down the purée path you don't need to over purée everything! Usually only babies under 6 months need very finely puréed food as they are too young to chew and swallow properly, I would just start with mashed avocado ( use a fork to mash)
    I also am not a fan of using packet rice cereal as a first food, we did avocado, sweet potato, broccoli and carrots then eggs, pear, banana , cucumber and goat yogurt in the first week!
    I did make my own cereal - just puffed quinoa from the health food or organic shop ( much more nutrients , minerals protein and iron than rice) with a mashed banana or pear with 50ml of his formula
    We had no allergies in the family but I did wait 3 days when giving him high allergy foods ( eggs, nut butters, shellfish)
    Steaming is the best way to give veggies as it keeps more nutrients in , roasting is also good plus DS loved roasted pumpkin and sweet potato!
    Remember what ever way you choose food is fun before 1, follow babies lead, if he is hungry feed him more there are no rules!
    My best tips for solids though are try a huge variety if food, start using fresh herbs, garlic, ginger and spices straight away, people think babies need bland food but it's not true! Watch out and read all labels for additives and preservatives! Good luck

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

samantha81  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I also really recommend looking into baby led weaning, you can buy the book from Gil Rapley, I only did BLW with my son and it was the best decision - he was eating fish, curries, noodles, all veg, all fruit , pasta, meats and pretty much everything we ate by 8 months! I never puréed anything and people were amazed to see a 7 month old gnawing on a corn cob or eating grilled salmon!

How old is your bubba and what age do you want to start?
    If baby is 6 months plus and you do want to go down the purée path you don't need to over purée everything! Usually only babies under 6 months need very finely puréed food as they are too young to chew and swallow properly, I would just start with mashed avocado ( use a fork to mash)
    I also am not a fan of using packet rice cereal as a first food, we did avocado, sweet potato, broccoli and carrots then eggs, pear, banana , cucumber and goat yogurt in the first week!
    I did make my own cereal - just puffed quinoa from the health food or organic shop ( much more nutrients , minerals protein and iron than rice) with a mashed banana or pear with 50ml of his formula
    We had no allergies in the family but I did wait 3 days when giving him high allergy foods ( eggs, nut butters, shellfish)
    Steaming is the best way to give veggies as it keeps more nutrients in , roasting is also good plus DS loved roasted pumpkin and sweet potato!
    Remember what ever way you choose food is fun before 1, follow babies lead, if he is hungry feed him more there are no rules!
    My best tips for solids though are try a huge variety if food, start using fresh herbs, garlic, ginger and spices straight away, people think babies need bland food but it's not true! Watch out and read all labels for additives and preservatives! Good luck

Thankyou for such a wonderful, detailed reply!! I really do want to try a whole variety of food and with herbs and spices.. my mum always tells me how my siblings and i were eating chilli currys by the time we were 9months!! my DH has fish and peanut allergy so will be careful when starting them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm just as clueless so don't feel bad!! I'm sort of doing both purées and pieces of whole food like steamed carrot sticks. DD is about 5.5 months at the moment and the BLW concept of just putting food in front of her isn't really working. If she grabs something she doesn't really hold on to it for long and it doesn't hold her interest. She likes rice cereal with puréed pear though, she eats it off my finger! I use Rafferty's rice cereal - it's made on brown rice. The Farex one has too much added to it like cows milk solids which DD can't tolerate.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

samantha81  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Agree with Elijah's mum. She is my guru for baby food!

We started BLW at 6 months then were advised to try purees to fill DS up more as he was waking so frequently overnight. After a few weeks he refused his purees so we went back to BLW. He is 1 now and eats what we eat. It's just easy!

Just stay away from salt. Adults generally eat too much and babies don't need it. Things like stock, sauces, tomato paste, bakes beans all have a lot of salt.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (25-01-2012),samantha81  (25-01-2012)