+ Reply to Thread
    Made in England is offline thought it was about time I put something other than 'senior member'...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default High fasting reading and only 5 weeks pregnant....

Hi ladies

I had GD (diet controlled) with DD, and I'm now 5 weeks pregnant again, so I decided to start testing to make sure my levels were ok. I just tested my fasting level before breakfast, and I got a reading of 6.0!! I'm freaking now.... I'm at the docs on Friday morning for my first appointment so I will tell him then, and I'll continue to test regularly til then. When I had GD with DD my fasting levels (before breaky) were always in the normal range. I've never had a morning one this high before....

If this continues, it looks like I might have an early GD diagnosis.... Has anyone else had this???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'm 5 weeks also and failed a fasting test last week, I was a 6.5 after 12 hrs fasting. I had a glucose challenge test and get results Friday.

Made in England is offline thought it was about time I put something other than 'senior member'...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing Hokey. Fingers crossed your glucose challenge is ok .

I've just tested 2 hours after my porridge for breaky and i got 6.7. Still within range, although only just. But I am still freaking about the high fasting. I can see insulin looming.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started on insulin at 28 wks first, then 13 weeks the next pregnancy, and then immediately for the next. Keep monitoring your levels like you're doing to show your doctor. You might be recommended for high risk and referred to the hospital early to start with a diabetes educator. The insulin didn't worry me that much - it's just helping your body cope with the pregnancy, but the weekly visits to the hospital were torture! Unfortunately, my levels kept getting harder and harder to manage each week and the insulin increased each week until I was on 70 - 75 units / shot three times a day and around 50 of protophane at night, then if I did anything, like didn't eat properly, my readings would drop to under 3 and I'd go a little crazy until I got some sugar. It was very tricky. Anyway, I hope it all goes well and you get it all worked out early.