+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Help with routines please!

My DS2 is 14 months and currently a routine for him is pretty much non-existent. He will only feed to sleep, and is still waking at least once (but usually more) every single night. He has never slept all night. He is possibly on the verge of giving up his day sleep, or ready to phase it out at least. I'm not naturally a routine person, but making a stricter bedtime routine in conjunction with losing the day sleep helped DS1, so maybe it will with DS2. Only thing is DS1 was already turned 2, and I have no idea how to make a good routine for a younger toddler with whom I can't yet reason with! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD2 is 14mths. her 24hr rough routine is:-

8am - up for the day, breakfast
    activity or outing, play etc
    10am - morning tea
    play outside etc
    12noon lunch
    1230/1pm - bottle and nap
    sleep 2.5hrs approx
    330 up from nap
    4pm afternoon snack
    play outside with daddy, walk dogs, ride tricycle etc
    6pm dinner
    630/7pm bath,pj's, quiet play or reading
    730pm bottle and bedtime

somewhere between 2&4am a nappy change and a bottle and back to bed.

i really wish she didnt still wake for a night bottle but seeing as she will then sleep till 8am i cant complain too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My youngest DD is 12months, this is her routine:

7am: wake up,have Brekkie

7:30: play inside, she usually plays with her toys or older siblings

8am: School and kindy run, so she gets lumped in and out of car

9am morning tea and then I usually do something with her like read, go for walk, go to park, sometimes playdate

11am lunch

11:30. Bottle and nap

2/3 ish wake up, have afternoon tea

6pm dinner

6:30 bath

7:15 bed, she rarely wakes at night anymore, she will sleep through till 7

Thanks
    Reviews
    A 2.5 hour sleep???? And in bed at 7pm??? Wow. DS usually only has one 45-60 min nap, and has had a few days lately where he has got through the whole day without a nap! And if he does go to bed at 7pm then I can almost be guaranteed he'll be awake for an hour or more in the middle of the night.

I'm probably more looking for bedtime routines than whole day routines. We're having a lot of trouble getting him to sleep at night particularly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS is nearing 13 months and his bedtime routine is pretty simple - dinner (around 5pm), bath, brush teeth, get dressed and in sleeping bag, book, booby then into bed around 6/6:30pm.

It's been the same for a long time, so I think it signals to him it's time to go to bed for the night (he still wakes occasionally during the night though).

ETA: can you use the same routine you did for your 2 year old? I think the most important thing is to keep the order in which you do things the same so they know what is going to happen next, and it will all end in going to bed for the night iykwim?
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 25-01-2012 at 12:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by decemberbubba View Post

ETA: can you use the same routine you did for your 2 year old? I think the most important thing is to keep the order in which you do things the same so they know what is going to happen next, and it will all end in going to bed for the night iykwim?
    DS1's routine was dinner, bath, teeth, toilet, story, sleep. The biggest difference is that DS2 is still in a cot, whereas DS1 had already moved to a bed by the time we started his routine, and DS2 still won't stay still for a story. But maybe I should try that exact routine again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Mac View Post
    DS1's routine was dinner, bath, teeth, toilet, story, sleep. The biggest difference is that DS2 is still in a cot, whereas DS1 had already moved to a bed by the time we started his routine, and DS2 still won't stay still for a story. But maybe I should try that exact routine again.
    It sounds like your DS1's routine is very similar to ours, so I don't see why it wouldn't work with your DS2.

My DS often won't sit still and read with me, so I just close his bedroom door and let him crawl around while I read his story. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Night two of routine. Bath, goodnight to brother, brush teeth, get dressed, story, booby. Not going to sleep. In his cot for a while. More booby. No more booby because my nipples are too sore. Screaming his lungs out with daddy until I come and feed him again. We've spent an hour trying to get him to bed so far. I'm going to end up having to go and feed him AGAIN. He went to bed at 7pm last night, but it meant he was awake from 3-5am, then again before 7:30. He had about 40mins sleep this afternoon. This is crap and I hate it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It does take a few days (or weeks sometimes) for the routine to work. I thought maybe it sounds like your bub is overtired and actually needs more sleep, I would be trying to keep the day sleep, and maybe making bedtime earlier, sounds crazy, I know, but worked for my 2.5 yo, he now sleeps 6:30pm - 6:30am and 1-2 hrs in the day, previously he was sleeping 7:30pm- 5am and was a nightmare to get to sleep during the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He shows no signs of being overtired.
    His brother was exactly the same, and at 5 has never once in his life slept a whole 12 hours at night. 11 hours and 45 mins is our record with DS1. Both boys have only seemed to need a less than average amount of sleep, and it was quitting the day sleep for DS1 that finally got him able to sleep a full night.
    I'm going through the whole thing again with DS2, only DS2 will only feed to sleep and is ridiculously unpredictable, which is why I've struggled so much with a routine. Some days he'll fall asleep in the mornings, some days in the afternoons, some days not at all. Some days he's ready for bed at 7, some nights not until 9. Then there's no guessing how many times he'll wake during the night.