+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Child's best interest

Hi I was wondering if there was anyone that is dealing with a ex who doesn't care if the child is sick and in hospital as long as they get their "time" with the child at the designated time and place. I spoke to my solicitor who agrees that the ex is not putting the child's interest first but thinks I will look like the bad person when we go back to court as I am not providing make up time. The ex expected me to get the child out of the hospital so he could see my son. Who does that? At the end of the day shouldn't the child's health and best interest come first rather then the parents?

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Absolutely the child's health should come first. Is there a reason why you can't provide make up time/days for your ex so that should anything go to court you won't look like the bad guy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The child doesn't cope with change and the father doesn't have the child himself he hands the child to either his friends or his new fiancé and walks off, the court orders don't say anything about make up time and the child was in hospital after getting sick after spending time with his father. Only a week ago my son was at the drs with a black eye and scratch under his eye after spending only an hr with him

Thanks
    Reviews
    To make matters worse his father knew what hospital we were at and couldn't even call to check on his son or come see if he was alright. It's not like he was far from the hospital it's just that my sons father believes alcohol and social life is more important then his children

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In this case, my opinion would have been:

The father would have been notified that the child was unwell in hospital, and it would have been the fathers right to spend time with the child whilst the child was an inpatient. Of course the mother has the right to be there too during this time if she so chooses. No 'make up time' would be nessisary as the child would still be in the care of the father (as much as possible when an inpatient.)

No court or person can force a parent to care. To call or ask about the child. I've been fighting that for 3 yrs and finally realise to let it go.

I think unless the father takes this to court, just let it go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd let the father know he's more than welcome to have his 'time' with your DS in hospital - you shouldn't have to check your DS out of hospital because of a designated time with dad, that is ridiculous

Unfortunately, the family court isn't always based on commonsense so who knows how the judge will see it.

If your son is being injured regularly at his dad's house, I'd take photos of every incident and document it and also document who he spent time with if it wasn't his father.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's ridiculous. I think as a separated parent, be it mother or father, you need to realise that sometimes things change unexpectedly and be prepared to have some flexibility when it can't be helped.

I would have thought if the child is unwell, if dad wants to see him he should visit at the hospital. Of course the kid shouldn't be removed from the facility when he needs to be there!

Sounds like he's generally making things difficult for you to work with. I hope someone has some good advice in a legal sense