+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default paid parental Leave & Maternity Leave - When to take them?

I am entitled to paid maternity leave from my employer (government employer) for 14 weeks full pay. I am also entitled to Paid Parental Leave for 18 weeks from the government (Centrelink). I can either take these one after the other or at the same time. What should I do?
    I thought if I take them at the same time, it would be like a double pay for 14 weeks, and this would give me a chance to to pay off some bills (save some money). Should I be looking at it this way, or should I take them one after another and take 30 or so weeks off and continue to struggle. I can't take time off without pay, due to financial situation. We currently have our rental house on the market, and if this sells then maybe I can have more time off work, but at this stage it is not an option as we have 2 mortgages and 2x all those expenses that go with those 2 houses and our rental property currently has not tennants, and not looking good!!
    So questions is, do I take both lots of payments together to get "ahead" a bit and go back to work in August (Term 3 - school) (bub will be about 5 months old) or do I take a further couple of months off and continue to struggle? This is bub #3, and my mum will be looking after bubba when I go back to work. My hours are only 9-3 so I am not gone for long!!! My first 2 bubs I went back to work when they were 6 months old.
    Tell me what you think, or if you are in a similar situation what would you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought it had to be one after the other. If u get paid through work the ppl will stop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's a tough one but I think I would take them one after the other. You can take them at the same time though, if you choose. PPL only stops if you receive wages, which PPL from your employer is not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm fairly confident you can't take them both at the same time. Your PPL will actually be paid by your work, not centrelink (Centrelink will pay your work, then they pay you, and I imagine this will still apply even though you work in government), so even if you were able to take your maternity and parental pays at the same time you would be taxed up the wazoo for getting such a large pay each week which would not help you save money - at least, not until you get your tax return and get your tax overpayment back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are only entitled to ppl if you are on leave. So you can take them both at once. Search on here as there are plenty of threads of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just found this...

What if my employer already provides a paid maternity or parental leave scheme?
    The Australian Government’s Paid Parental Leave scheme is a new entitlement for working parents. This means that if you are eligible you will be able to receive Parental Leave Pay regardless of whether your employer already offers paid parental or maternity leave arrangements.

You can take Parental Leave Pay before, after or at the same time as any paid or unpaid maternity or parental leave or other employer provided leave entitlements (such as annual leave or long service leave).

But who would I call to find out about tax? My employer?? Oh so much to work out!!!!

Sent from Mel's iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Centerlink will tax you on the ppl as it states on the website taxed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you :-)

Sent from Mel's iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    But ssoo it's a lot less than the ppl. It's actually less than half the money. Even taking out tax the ppl is better financially for people on half pay.
    Some families earn too much for the baby bonus but can get the ppl. Usually ppl is the only money Centerlink gives. None of the family benefits or child care stuff so it makes it harder for the working family trying to have a family work and pay off a house!!!!

I would like to thank labor and our PM for stuffing the system for the workers!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are a working family and get the family tax benefit and also both the childcare rebate and the childcare benefit. Not sure why you would think Centrelink wouldn't give those to a working family? The only thing you might not get is the Tax Benefit A if your income is over a certain amount in which case the small amount you get from it wouldn't make a difference if you're earning that much. I actually think we are very lucky to get the PPL anyway... just over a year ago if you didn't qualify for the BB you got squat, and before they introduced the BB everyone got squat. So I'm grateful for at least that, although I do agree that yes, it is difficult to be a working familiy and financially support a child, however I don't think it would be any easier to be a non working or single parent family and financially support a child.