+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Full time work with 6 month old - need support please freaking out!

I am hoping some of you working mums can help me feel a bit better.

Due to a whole load of unavoidable circumstances, I have to find a full time job and start ASAP which I'm dreading as my DS is just 6 months old. I have to put him in full time day care as I have no family to help out. The thought of it makes me feel sick, I will barely spend any time with him during week. I can't do my work part time and don't have any other choice.

I am still breast feeding and want to continue for another 6 months, express at work etc. I just hope I can cope.

How do you cope? Just want some encouragement and advice, anything that makes it easier to work full time with a young bub. My DH works full time too and occasionally works away on business.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Sunnygirl, what a tough situation you're in! I work fulltime, but 18 month old DS is only in creche 3 days, as I work from home a couple days a week, so my situation is not entirely the same but I can relate somewhat... My DS has been in creche since 9 months, so a bit older than your little one, but still VERY tough!!! My best piece of advice is that a great creche makes a world of diff! I absolutely love where DS goes (in Sth Melb if that's any help...) and this helps with some of the guilt I feel
    most days as I know his carers really do care about him and do all they can to make sure he has a great day. I have also changed my expectations of myself as an employee, and leave at 4 each day no matter what so we're home by 5, and I still have a good three hours with DS. I often cook the next nights meal once DS is in bed so I can play with him when we get home from creche and reheat a healthy & nutritious meal without having to cook. My DS took a good four months to settle into a good crèche routine and I'm not going to lie - the first couple of months are so so hard... But it does get easier, and I realise now they do great stuff with him that I'd never think of doing, and he really does have a great day when he's there. His social skills have improved heaps also. Good luck!!! Know that you're not alone!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Juzz For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry you find yourself in this position. Have you considered a nanny share? Or family day care? I work within children services and if I had to return to work full time I would prob do a mix of FDC and childcare. I hope you can find a solution to your dilemma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootch View Post
    Sorry you find yourself in this position. Have you considered a nanny share? Or family day care? I work within children services and if I had to return to work full time I would prob do a mix of FDC and childcare. I hope you can find a solution to your dilemma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would definitely love family day care but have had so much trouble finding any placements thus far. Childcare is also very hard to get into in my area, I have him booked in 2 days a week as of mid feb but have to send him to a different (not as good) centre for the other days as they're booked out. It's so hard!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry you're in this stressful position
    I just wanted to let you know that my dd started going to daycare when she turned 1 (now 15 months) and I still breastfeed her pretty much on demand. She goes to daycare 3 days a week and doesn't miss it cos it's not there! I don't express at work anymore cos my I'm used to it but when I first started it was really painful! She has a big drink after breakfast and then when I pick her up in the afternoon. I was initially stressed about expressing and having enough milk but my body has worked it out!
    Your ds will be fine! It is heartbreaking leaving them at daycare for he first time but I promise you it will get easier! Hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel for you too!! I won't be easy but you'll be ok, as will your gorgeous boy. My first was nine month and my second was six months when I went back full time and on top of that travelled one hour each way to and fro work. It's s tough one but just cherish your moments at home and weekends! Good luck!

Sent from Mel's iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oops forgot to add, dh works 12-14 hr days so most days I'm on my own until dd is asleep. I have learned to be prepared!!! Meal plans are a must and they should include things you can take to work the next day so you don't have to worry about making lunch.
    I pack dd's bag at night before I go to bed so it's all ready to go in the morning. That way I can have all the time I need with her after waking up without worrying about getting ready in time!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am in the same boat, I started full time work when LO was four months old. In all honesty the moment they are out of your sight they forget about you (Sorry but it is true) I cried the first day I left her there and thought my mummy abilities were only slightly better than Britney Spears during the crazy years.

I agree with WannabaMumma, preparations is the key!!! Actually I pretty much agree with everything she said hah. My LO is bottle fed as I am horrible at expressing but managed to breast feed for 3 months.

My partner also works a handful of lates (not the same as going away but he misses out on a fair bit) and I know I can survive on my own when he isn't there, you have the ability to cope trust me!

Also a little side note DD didn't start sleeping properly through the night until she went to day care, a good day care place keeps them that stimulated during the day they are tuckered by 7pm.

I wish you the best and just make the best you can of the situation you have been dealt

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi sunnygirl79,

IVe just been reading your thread and wondered how you're going with your situation? Have you started back at work? Any luck with full-time care for your bub?

I'm kind of in the same situation, sort of. I don't have to go back to work, but I want to for various reasons. But like you I'm torn as to whether I can cope with full time work and a 13 month old baby. I'm not breastfeeding, but he still wakes most nights for a feed. However, I agree with one of the replies in your thread about babies sleeping better after a big day at childcare. I've noticed that my DS generally sleeps thru the night on the days he goes to care.

It was good to read your replies. Anyway, just wanted to see where you're at since posting this thread.