+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think having to hold them at all times is a bit excessive, but if that's the rules, then she has to enforce them. The rule at my pool constant supervision, not holding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How far away were you? I know you said you had your eyes on him but how far away were you? If you ere sitting back and watching him while he was in pool no matter how confident he was - i do see the problem. I dont know about pool policy but i would always been at least within arms reach of 13 month old. Maybe not have to hold him but more than just 'supervise'

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComeBackKid For This Useful Post:

Californication  (25-01-2012),HELPihavea2yrold!  (25-01-2012),trishalishous  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackKid View Post
    How far away were you? I know you said you had your eyes on him but how far away were you? If you ere sitting back and watching him while he was in pool no matter how confident he was - i do see the problem. I dont know about pool policy but i would always been at least within arms reach of 13 month old. Maybe not have to hold him but more than just 'supervise'
    I agree. Bad things can happen so quickly and easily with young children and water. I reckon most parents who've lost a child in such circumstances probably knew what their children were capable of too, but accidents happen.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bada For This Useful Post:

ComeBackKid  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    One pool we frequent has a policy that kids under 2 must be in an adults arms, up to 7 they have to be within arms reach, up to 12 they have to be within sight. Squad swimmers have to be supervised but not within reach.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTime View Post
    Gees, bit much.

Pool we go to just have to keep them within arm length.
    Same here. Under 5 must be in arms reach at all times, they wear a little wristband, and you are kicked out if you let them wander off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The last drowinig victim in 2009 was an 11 year old girl who was her schools swimming champion, she just lost her footing and fell so was disorientated and drowned. Temperature of water, how you go it........all those things are so important! and the only way to be sure is to watch and sorry but a 13 month old has only been walking for a few months could easily lose his footing and go under and suck a mouthful of water in.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyGuts For This Useful Post:

HELPihavea2yrold!  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think arms reach suffices, but you have to watch kids like a hawk.

I went to a beach like outdoor pool with a friend and our 3yos last week. My son was within reach and up to his neck. I suddenly noticed he was a bit deeper and struggling to keep his nose above water and was slightly distressed. It can happen really quickly, and quietly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppyGuts View Post
    Well, I lost my 5 yr old niece in a public pool last year because lifeguards were not paying attention which made them step up their supervision rules and id wished ther ehad been a guard like that around when she died. Tell me, was this in the big pool *could* there have been a chance of him getting deeper, or was it in a kiddies wade pool that doesnt get deep? coz if its the latter than i think your right, if its not well, just be lucky that someone was watching your child in case you got distracted for a second because thats ALL it takes. Drowning is silent too.

FTR My niece drowned in water she could stand in.
    I just wanted to say that I am so sorry for the loss of your niece

Maybe the lifeguard came across as rude as she was frightened for you sons safety. They would see first hand how quickly things can go wrong on a daily basis. (Not saying your son was in any danger). When our kids were that age we were aways in arms reach of them while swimming.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jarylee For This Useful Post:

KillerHeels  (26-01-2012),PuppyGuts  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think you're overreacting. I also think that no 13-month-old is SO good in the water that they don't need someone standing right beside them as they wade around. A slip is all it could take, and no matter how quickly you get there, it could be a split second too late. "In your arms," may not have meant "clinging onto for dear life," but perhaps within arm's reach... or perhaps just holding your child's hand the whole time or something.

Much better, in these instances, to be over-protective than to risk drowning.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Californication  (25-01-2012),KillerHeels  (26-01-2012),lovelymum  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NutsyK View Post
    Umm it's not the lifeguards job to watch your children.. it's the parents. Lifeguards are there to try and make sure people are safe but they can't watch every little slice of water. I hate it when a child drowns "oh the lifeguards weren't paying attention". Where were the parents?!?!?!
    However, how many parents know first aid? How many parents would be able to keep a level head while their child is drowning, enough to tend to their child to provide first aid if need be?
    The lifeguards are there to keep an eye on everyone. Babies, children, teens, adults. Yes, parents SHOULD be keeping an eye on their children, but they can't always be blamed should their child drown. Not every parent whose child has drowned is to be blamed. Sometimes the factor is a over-crowded pool with not sufficient amount of lifeguards to watch. Sometimes a split second lapse of judgement on a parents or lifeguards behalf is enough.