+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Scared of labor!!

Im pregnant with my second baby (23weeks!) and im petrofied of what will happen this time round. My first labor was only 3.5hrs, but I tore so badly! I had aprox 5cm internal tear which extended up to a labial tear (as high as possible, I could look downin the shower & see stiches!!!) & a smaller perinial tear.
    The midwife dosnt seem to think its worth doing a c-sec this time but im so scared, everything happened so quickly but the recovery took over 3 months for the internal stiches to finally come out & at times its still painful where the scar tissue is....

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Was bubs head bigger than average or was it just very fast?

If you are inclined to write a birth plan, perhaps you could include that you want the mid wife to support bubs head as it is crowning to ease it out.

I have heard that a warm wet face washer can't help to prevent tearing. There may be some positions that could help.

I'm sure that some far wiser hubbers will have some words of advice for you. Just wanted to wish you all the best.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Mummieof2  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bumping for the after dinner hubbers

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a 3a tear the first time around. Pain wise I was ok within a couple of weeks, but it was pretty bad prior to that. I suspect my ds was posterior, but he was sick when he was born, so details like that were lost in the chaos.

I was scared of tearing again and spoke to my Ob about it. He said the risk of tearing worse this time around was low (I was mostly scared of a 4th degree tear) and did not warrant a c-section. He did suggest an Epi-No (google it), but I wasn't really sure I'd actually use it, so I didn't go ahead with buying one. I ended up with an episiotomy (small one) but no tearing at all and for me that was a huge relief. Unfortunately the episiotomy did cut through some varicose veins (sorry for TMI) and I bled quite a bit and it was tricky to stitch and very painful for about 10 days, but then I was ok.

I would ask to meet with an Ob to discuss your birth options. Midwives don't do stitching of complex tears like you had and so it would be good to speak to an Ob who might have a better idea of how likely it would be for you to tear again and therefore whether a c-section might be worthwhile. Your tear sounds like it was pretty bad.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

Mummieof2  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have a chat to your car provider about your feelings and ways they can support you. As a PP has said, also write up a birth plan.

It is hard when you have experienced the pain and trauma of a nasty tear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had a 4th degree tear with my first son (9pd11.5oz, 36.5cm head circ). I was told id need a csec for my next baby. I did lots of research and chose to go against drs orders. DS2 was born 9pd9.5oz, 37cm hc, and i only received 2nd degree tears, but only because bub had his hand to his mouth palm out, his hand is what tore me.

All the best
    Last edited by IndigoJ; 26-01-2012 at 11:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks thats a good idea, I will discuss a birth plan with the midwife on our next appointment =)

My son was only quite small 6.6lb with a head circ 34cm. Because he came so quickly he was in the prosterior position too & his head didnt even mould at all as he came down...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had an episiotomy with my first ds after a 33hr labour, failed suction and finally forcep delivery, baby was big. Had no issues with healing. But naturally I was worried and scared re labour with ds2. I was worried if I would heal so well again if I needed another episiotomy and spoke to my ob re my concerns and he was very supportive and full of encouragement. How well you heal depends on the blood flow down there apparently. He monitored bub closer this pregnancy and due to his anticipated size of being at least as big as ds1 he induced me and broke my waters straight away, I had a 4hr labour and had another episiotomy but with only a few stitches. Again I healed really well and I have no scar. I think had I been left to tear it would have been worse. I don't blame you for being scared, if I hadn't healed well after ds1 and had ongoing problems and discomfort I would have opted for a cs second time round.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 25-01-2012 at 10:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I had an episiotomy with my first ds after a 33hr labour, failed suction and finally forcep delivery, baby was big. Had no issues with healing. But naturally I was worried and scared re labour with ds2. I was worried if I would heal so well again if I needed another episiotomy and spoke to my ob re my concerns and he was very supportive and full of encouragement. How well you heal depends on the blood flow down there apparently. He monitored bub closer this pregnancy and due to his anticipated size of being at least as big as ds1 he induced me and broke my waters straight away, I had a 4hr labour and had another episiotomy but with only a few stitches. Again I healed really well and I have no scar. I think had I been left to tear it would have been worse. I don't blame you for being scared, if I hadn't healed well after ds1 and had ongoing problems and discomfort I would have opted for a cs second time round.
    Ah, I was going to ask if your first bub was posterior. So in the end of this pregnancy

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stupid phone. Sorry quoted the wrong post back there. Anyway, at the end of this pregnancy, if you try and do a fair bit of moving or resting over a bean bag or fit ball on all fours, that can help bub move into an anterior position. And you might get your skirting boards clean into the bargain.

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub