+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default So many toys! What do you do?

DD (18mths) has so many toys and books! We have a toybox in the lounge, and have also just bought a big Ikea storage unit for her room, as well as bookshelves.

We keep taking out things that she has outgrown/ not played with, but I'm keeping everything as we are hoping for another child.

I'm not sure if there is an answer to this, other than to just keep packing it away and filling up cupboards/ vacuum bags, but what do you do? If you're not finished having kids then what do you do with the mountain of stuff that your first child accumulates? Even stuff like car capsule/ baby bath, etc. And a Jolly Jumper on a giant metal frame! Arghhh... going under...

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i'd keep maybe half, if you have another they'll still get presents etc. And you'll still have the problem of too many toys!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We take old toys to the grandparents' house for DS to play with when he visits.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (24-01-2012)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Hiss View Post
    We take old toys to the grandparents' house for DS to play with when he visits.
    This is what I do

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bunkx For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. Fearless Leader - arghh! I hadn't thought about that! Good point...

And yes, I've been doing that with my parents, but I think they're on to me. Mum has started bringing toys back that are too young for DD... I haven't tried the in-laws yet though! Hmmm...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I go through them and throw out any that are falling apart, donate ones that are good condition but never played with. The rest i divide and i keep some packed away on top of a wardrobe - they come out when i need 'new' or different toys to amuse the children. Keep doing this regularly so it doesn't start piling up again.
    When i was storing stuff for future children i put things in space bags (clothes/blankets mainly though) and bigger stuff in the back room or shed (covered to prevent dust) - not really much else you can do really.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have always just culled every 6 months , Just donate to life line to kids that need toys more then mine did , I had hording issues a few yrs ago an kept everything for the next one , But had found the more kids ive had the next one usaly has dif taste so just pass on

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bgirl For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (24-01-2012)

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I cull all the broken toys every couple of months and at the same time rotate the toys. I keep half the toys in storage crates and put them away, then swap them in a couple of months. That way it seems like they have new toys all the time.

-------------------------
    Sent from my mobile device, please excuse the typing missed cakes.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-RaryGirl For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have this problem....

My solution is to lend as much as possible so my garage temporarily has more space!! I also go through the toys/books/clothes and separate them into what I REALLY want for another baby, and what can be given to charity.

I also figure with all my lending surely someone will lend back if I have another one!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitty10 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (24-01-2012)