+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Would you be worried?

I live in Queensland and have a 12 year old son who was born December 30 1999. I chose to start him at school later, so he is in class with children who were born in 2000. This has worked out well, with him doing quite well academically (B average) over the years and he is doing well socially too. He is an all round pretty balanced boy, and I am happy with his development on many levels.

Last year (year 6) he again received a good report with mostly Bs for his school report and two As for his QCAT assessments in science and literacy.
    However, I was NOT happy with his teacher - I felt she was disinterested in teaching and many other parents felt the same way. I was concerned that there was not enough follow up on mistakes made in homework, for example. My son didn't seem to have a great attitude to his school work and near enough became good enough. He has been a near A student in maths since the early grades (teachers said he wasn't quite an A, but very close). This morning I saw the results of his first day back at school fraction test. His teacher showed me the full class results (with some names included) and his score was more than half way down the class list. I was surprised at this and she put it down to school holidays etc, and that there will be a full revision on fractions over the next few weeks. She said this result put him at a C.

Would this ring alarm bells for you? Possibly I'm jumping the gun, but I would have thought he would have had a much better result than this, considering also some of the children who scored better (who he has been with since kindergarten) Early days, I know, but I don't want him to go into high school at this level! Education is so important. One of the parents actually pulled her child out of this school because of the poor year 6 result (teacher).

I suspect I'm jumping the gun, and I need more results than just this one - but I have been concerned since the middle part of last year, I do think he has good teachers this year - there are two sharing the job, and they both seem very switched on and energetic.

Anyway, any thoughts? Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    To me, it's very early in the year to be worrying. It's 2nd day back after 6+ weeks off.

If after the revision, he still isn't getting any where. I'd discuss it further & bring him into the discussion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The whole conversation worries me, to be honest. The fact that it even happened worries me. That she showed you the list of results, including some names, is incredibly unprofessional and would ring all sorts of alarm bells with me. Do you want a teacher who will spread your child's results all over the community? I know I don't.

The results themselves don't worry me so much. It's a pre-test, given on the second day of school after six weeks off. He probably hasn't so much as thought about fractions since before Christmas.

Wait and see what he does (and forget the rest of the class, that just isn't relevant in any way, shape or form) on the test after the unit.

I can't believe she did that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I hate grades. Too much focus on grades and not individual progress. Try and focus on what your son has learnt, and how he has improved/progressed, rather than the A or B grade.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. Yes, I agree with you. I think I've invested a bit too much time thinking about this. I was having an overzealous mother moment.

FionaV, I'll reserve judgement about this teacher for a while. It was probably unnecessary for her to show that list - I suspect she may be a bit competitive.

Gotta love rural schools.
    Last edited by Clarabelle; 24-01-2012 at 22:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do love rural schools. I teach in a rural school. My children attend a small country school.

That she works in a small community makes it even more imperative that she behaves in a professional manner. It wasn't "probably unnecessary" it was "probably a breach of the Code of Conduct" for her to show you that list.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you're right to take notice if he receives a grade that is uncharacteristically low for him. It doesn't mean you necessarily have to take any action at this stage, but perhaps it would be worth talking to him to see if he feels confident in that topic, and if there is anything you could do to help him.

I do think grades are important, and I am still very grateful to my parents for the interest they showed in my grades at school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do love rural schools. I teach in a rural school. My children attend a small country school.

I also love rural schools. I went to one, and my children are now going to one. They are at this school because I chose to send them there. Do you really think she was breaching the "code of conduct"? I didn't think it was that big a deal, considering it was just a test to see where they're at. I would be very annoyed if it was final year grading, for example.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Regardless of whether it was a "test to see where they're at" (that's really what all tests are, when you think about it) or an end of year test, sharing information with parents about other people's children would have me hauled into the principal's office and given a severe talking to, if not further disciplinary action. It's a long way over the line of acceptable professional conduct.

Sorry, I haven't been back - it's the first week of school, and it's frantic here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ok, thank you.