+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We use an Ergo Cuccoon to 'wrap' her. Maybe we should go back to a muslin wrap.

She generally feeds for about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes every 2 and a half hours. If she plays it's usually about 15 minutes.

In the end DP came home and settled her by singing and bouncing her. She slept about 20 minutes and woke up when DP put her down in her cot. I fed her and DP settled her again and now she is sleeping on my chest, has slept 1 hour 20 minutes. She seems to stir every 30 minutes and then go down to sleep again.

She is also starting to cry loudly and really protest when we start to settle her. When we start bouncing and 'shhhing', which used to really settle her, she starts crying REALLY loudly! It's like she's learning when we say it's bedtime and she's protesting!!!

Sigh. She's always seeming so miserable now. She's crying so much. She just woke up crying. She used to have lots of hunger signs and now she just starts screaming crying! I hate seeing her so miserable.

Hopefully it's just a phase and soon it will pass! Seems I don't have much choice at the moment but to hold her as she sleeps. And who knows what at night. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hmm... Has she had her 6 week check up? If she's really unsettled and cries when you put her down it could be reflux - DD had it but it was because of her cows milk protein intolerance (reacting to traces in my breast milk and also the formula top ups she was getting due to poor weight gain). If you DD is otherwise healthy with normal poo and gaining weight I wouldn't be worried, but it's worth mentioning to the GP or paediatrician.

What state are you in? I'm in NSW and went to Tresillian with DD at 7 weeks. It worked miracles for her sleep and was very gentle - no controlled crying or anything like that. Use their helpline and any other resource. It's tough with an unsettled bub, I feel for you.
    Last edited by Cue; 24-01-2012 at 17:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At the moment, our bed time routine is bath, a story, a feed in a darkened room and then bed. I aim to put her to bed awake and then we'll pat her until drowsy (or sometimes she's drowsy when awake). We start the ritual at about 6:30 and she's usually in bed by 7:30. The last couple of nights have been really good and she's drifted off straight away. Before then though, she'd be up for an hour to two hours before she'd drift off.

I can totally sympathise MamaNurture - the best sleeps DD has is when she's cuddled by us. Even if she self-settles in her cot she doesn't sleep very long.

I'm currently reading some books to try and help her settle better. If I find something interesting or helpful that you might not have tried yet - I'll post something

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried the book 'Happiest Baby on the Block'? Dd is 7 weeks tomorrow and I can relate to a lot of what you wrote. This book works soooo well for us. Also, do you have an electric swing? Since starting an extra fussy phase a week or two ago it's the only place she'll have an extended day sleep (I'm talking two hours plus instead of 20 min).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont think it's reflux because she will happily lie flat if it's on someone. She will also become upset if put into her swing, bouncer etc which are elevated.

She just wants to be held 24/7! But I can't do that on my own.

We don't have an evening routine. We should start, doing a bath, story, feed sounds nice.

They showed us a DVD of happiest baby on the block in hospital, and I've also read the book. It is great isn't it? It really helps her calm down and get off to sleep. It's the keeping her asleep that's the problem I guess!

In the end she ended up having a big sleep on my chest and then in my arms as we wandered around the shops. She then had a nice big feed and went to bed easily. Slept quite a while and I'm just feeding again now.

That made me realise that it isn't settling her that's the issue as such, but the issue is that she won't let us put her down at all.

I understand that, and that she's very little. It's just impossible for me to carry her 24/7! Have to put her down at some point, and she is so unsettled in the sling.

Ah well. Will just have to battle on. Feels better to have a vent and see that I'm not the only one who has an unsettled bub! Thanks for your help guys!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You're doing great, she will get easier to put down and you'll probably miss the cuddles in a few months time! DD will now rarely sleep when held. If she ever rests her head on my or DH's chest, we just love it!

Do you have family to help out? Maybe someone to hold her for an hour while you enjoy a long shower or eat lunch with 2 hands!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, when DP is home it's so much easier.

We've actually had an ok day. No problems last night and she had two sleeps this afternoon in her cot. One she probably needed/wanted to sleep a bit longer but couldn't manage to get herself back to sleep when she woke - about 45 minutes into her sleep, so maybe between sleep cycles? And so far tonight she has been really settled too. I think what really helped was looking out really carefully for any tired sign and getting ready for sleep as soon as you spot them.

So getting there! Thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yay, so glad it's getting better already! Those tired signs are gold, if you catch them early it makes settling sooooo much easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I found with my little boy that if he gets overtired the next sleep is so crappy, he just wakes up constantly etc I booked in three days where I just stayed home and worked on getting him to have enough sleep. We try to do a three hourly routine and he is up for an hour and then has a two hour sleep (he's 11 weeks) the first day I had to hold him for him to sleep the two hours until I got his chronic overtiredness under control. Once he was rested enough, he started sleeping longer. So maybe you could try that? Just spend a day getting her to sleep however you can so that she is rested and then try working on getting her to sleep in her cot xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was like this too, would only sleep if he was held. He is now 14 weeks and while he is still a catnapper at least he catnaps in his cot.
    I know it's hard and your tailbone feels like it's imprinted on the couch and your legs are twitching from sitting so long but it will get better. One day you will put her down and she'll stay asleep, even if it's for a short while. And it won't always work but eventually she'll get there.
    I know it's hard when you're sleep deprived and want to scream with frustration but it won't always be like this. Enjoy your newborn snuggles while you can, you are her world and all she knows at the moment and she loves the security of sleeping on you. I can look back 8 weeks later with some perspective but at the time it felt like it would never end.
    I also agree with at least starting with a night routine. It also worked wonders with getting DS asleep before 10pm.
    You are doing a great job and to quote the mantra of new mothers, this too shall pass xx