+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Please help a first time Mama with some settling!

Hello! This is long but I could really use some tips so please bear with me!

I have a 6 week old DD and I was wondering if anyone could please tell me what they did with settling etc at this age. DD used to be very easy to settle - I would be able to feed her to sleep - she would just feed until she had enough and then come off, give a contented little sigh (so cute!) and settle down to sleep. I would then hold her for about twenty minutes until she was properly asleep and then pop her in her crib.

Not anymore unfortunately! She is now much more active and 'awake'. During the day especially we are having a lot of trouble getting her off to sleep. We can often get her to sleep but as soon as we put her down she's wide awake! Realistically we can't carry her all day, I need at least 1 sleep a day when I can put her down to get food, tidy up etc. At night she used to happily sleep beside me in a sidecar cot but now that only works 50% of the time. So DP ends up settling her then watching movies for hours with her on his chest! He's going back to work tomorrow so that's going to have to end!

She won't take to a sling, when I carry her she smells milk, so she'll only settle on me with a dummy. If either DP or I sling her she will cry for about 15 minutes then sleep. She will then stay asleep as long as you are walking, so I can't use this around the house etc. We have used a sling everyday since coming home from hospital, and have also tried various types.

These days she will feed until she's done, and come off awake, ready for a play and giggle (also so cute!). We play with her until she tells us she is tired ie yawning etc, and there's where we run into trouble! How do others put bub to sleep?

We've tried

- letting her just lie in her cot and put herself to sleep, while we pat, stroke, rub etc
    - a dummy (used to be popular, now she's not really interested)
    - white noise (if we play this while she is asleep it seems to help her stay asleep for longer)
    - giving her a top up feed to try and feed her to sleep (falls asleep sometimes on breast fine but you can't put her down)
    - bouncing her on a fitball (again, it works but you can't put her down)
    - a swing and bouncer (she will sit in them happily but won't sleep)

I know she's only very little but I have to be realistic that at some point in time I need to sleep, and possibly even eat! So she does need to be put down at some point, beside me at night and then in her cot during the day.

We have been having some feeding difficulties, with thrush badly and horrible ulcers on my nipples. I have been seeing an LC regularly and as of Sunday night have been using a nipple shield until these ulcers heal. I have been taking Fenugreek and Bleesed Thistle for my supply but both the LC and I think this not needed so I'm going to stop them now. DD is often unsettled on my breast and will cry, thrash and squirm. The LC thinks this is either my let down slowing or gas. Could possibly also be the Fenugreek so maybe that will improve soon. DD also taking probiotics after the thrush and a CS birth.

Sorry for the novel!

Can anyone please suggest any tips? This isn't very sustainable - I need to sleep sometime and with DP back at work tomorrow we will be down one adult!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MamaNurture For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (22-02-2012),Beatnik  (19-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow that was long! Sorry!

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Umm. Keep her awake and active for 2 hours prior to putting her down. She should be exhausted by the time two hours is up. Looks like you have already tried all of my other suggestions . Don't try and 'put' her to sleep. Put her somewhere where she is happy, rocker, swing and just get on with your day. You may find she will just fall asleep. This often happens with 2nd, 3rd, 4th children as mums dont have time to 'put' them to sleep. HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's true! I don't know how anyone gets on with more than one child! I guess I just see her getting tired and feel that she should go to sleep. I have now given her a top up feed, where she fell asleep at the breast, fell off and was cuddling with me. But she woke up five minutes later.

I have popped her into her cot and she is just chilling out, looking around and especially at a mobile DP put up this morning. Yawning like crazy! We will try your suggestion! Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'll have a couple of suggestions but my DD only catnaps so I'm definitely no expert :-)

Sometimes I feed bub laying down on my bed and once she falls asleep I get up and do some work or I'll nap next to her. This works for naptime sometimes for us, though she'll only get through one sleep cycle. She'll get through two if I start feeding her again or pat her through. Not a great solution, I know, but it sometimes works.

Do you have a bedtime routine? I've found that helps DD

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks BubbleK! Unfortunately she just wakes up, or doesn't go to sleep at all.

She was lying in her cot for a while, but started crying, so I have picked her up and given her another feed. She's wide awake still! Lol

*this too shall pass*

Thanks
    Reviews
    We haven't got a routine as such I suppose, we just have some sleep associations. Ie when it's time for sleep she is put into her sleeping bag, and the white noise is playing. Which used to work a treat!!! What kind of routine do you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello MamaNurture,

My DS was very similar - during the day, I held him for every sleep for the first 8 weeks. The problem that he would cry and cry and not seem to be able to put himself to sleep, and in the end, would be over tired at night as well, and it started affecting his night time sleeps, too. People kept telling me to 'listen to his cries' - but seriously, when you're that tired and worried, it's very hard.

I found that getting him used to a routine really helped us - I know it's not for everyone, so I'll just tell you what worked for me, and take anything that might help. I felt like he was too little to let him cry it out, so I tended to stay next to him (get a comfy chair!) doing lots of patting and shushing (turned him on his side, and patted his shoulder with one hand, and his nappy with the other, alternately, gradually slowing down as he calmed down). If it took longer than 10 minutes, I'd often just leave the room for a couple of minutes to keep my sanity, stay calm, take a deep breath, and then go back and start all over again - sometimes he'd just go off to sleep in those couple of minutes.

I also found the sleep association when using a sleeping bag was good, as was a baby sleep CD. Otherwise, kept the bedroom quiet and dark.

I stuck with a 'feed, play sleep' routine that went roughly like this:

Awake at 6.30am - feed, change, play (Usually a walk in the pram)
    In bed at 8.30am - 1.5 to 2 hours sleep
    Feed, change, play
    In bed at 12/12.30 - 1.5 to 2 hours sleep (this was his best sleep - usually about 2-2.5 hrs, over time)
    Feed, change, play
    In bed around 4pm - by about 4/5 months this was just a 45 min sleep
    Bath, feed, reading books, etc - then into bed around 7.30pm.
    Rollover feed around 11pm, then back to sleep until around 6.30am (he dropped the 2/3am feed when he was about 3 months - I think it was when he'd doubled his birth weight)

It probably took me about 4 weeks of sticking with this, for him to really settle into it. However, once he did, he was great - he's been a really good sleeper since then (he's nearly 3yo now), and was soooo much happier once he was getting proper sleep.

You're doing a good job - it gets easier!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mollymoo For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the tips Mollymoo. We definately try the whole feed, play, sleep routine. It's just the sleep we are having trouble with! Our routine is quite similar to yours actually, except obviously at 6 weeks, everything is much closer together! Some days are just great and then others are a write off!

DD never settled in the cot. I had to leave her as I have a complication with my CS wound that needs dressing twice daily. We also have a doctor coming at 1pm. And it was midday and I was still in my pyjamas! So I left the room and did that - she cried, I felt awful. Now we are feeding - again!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD was like this. What worked for us was picking up on the tired signs as early as possible and then swaddling her. A good firm wrapping worked wonders! She worked out very quickly that it meant sleep time and she slept so much better with those jerky arms contained!

She now sleeps in a zipped up Wrap Me Up and has a dummy for sleeps.

I found that a 6 weeks they go from tired to over-tired so quickly, then it's hard to get them off to sleep.

Now that DD is almost 6 months her tired signs are really obvious so it's much easier. At 6 weeks her up time including breastfeed was 1hr 15min max. It increased gradually and she now has about 2 hrs up time.

Also wanted to add, at 6 weeks we would wrap her and cuddle/jiggle/rock her to sleep. As she got a little older we'd put her down drowsy then pat or hold her in the cot. Now I put her in tired but wide awake and can usually give her a kiss and leave the room. Most of the time she'll settle herself off to sleep. Last night I had to cuddle and pat her to sleep in my arms though, they always have their days!
    Last edited by Cue; 24-01-2012 at 13:50.