+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default *Spin Off* Platonic Relationship vs Open Relationship?

***Mods, please feel free to move to another area if this thread is considered too raunchy!***

So...Another thread about sex in committed relationships got me thinking about those of us who are in relationships were the libido is imbalanced.

If you were in a longterm, committed relationship where one of you were completely uninterested in having sex and the relationship was becoming purely platonic; would you consider an open relationship? Why/Why not?

And if anyone has a personal experience with open relationships, I would love to hear 'em!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I am and no we never would because were not interested in it and have no desire to dtd with anyone else. My man is my one and only

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (23-01-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would. However, I don't know if I believe in monogomy, so i'm looking at it from that perspective...I don't often discuss this viewpoint on here though (bad previous experience).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Awesomesauce  (24-01-2012)

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    I am and no we never would because were not interested in it and have no desire to dtd with anyone else. My man is my one and only
    Thanks for the reply! Just to clarify; you are in a committed, non-sexual relationship and comfortable with that?

AFM; I think I could cope for a platonic relationship for perhaps a few years but it would be devastating in the long term. Don't know if I would be open to an open relationship, though!

Witwicky; thanks for your input! I feel the same. I think it is entirely possible, but I think it often (not always) takes hard work and isn't entirely "natural".
    Last edited by MuminMind; 23-01-2012 at 22:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have often asked myself how I would feel about this but like witwicky tend to keep my thoughts to myself on here due to all the nastiness in threads increasing lately . In theory I don't think I would have a prob with DH having sex for just a physical reason to forefill his need for sex. He has a much higher libido than me. The problem I have is that what if I said it was fine but afterwards it did actually bother me? It would then be an issue and it's not something you can undo. The other issue would be that what if it turned into something more? I think I would be very insecure about it unless it was a stranger / true one night stand/ never see the person again type of thing.

Sent from my iPhone

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jez For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (23-01-2012)

BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies, ladies! (Sneaky Bump)

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this I think, so here's mine!

The BEST s3x I've had is with DP. Why? Because of the connection. That connection exists soley out of our love for each other. That's what it's meant to be right? So the question is would you really be getting what it is you're looking for from some nameless source? Or are you really looking to get what you're wanting from your DP and feel you're not?

Personally, if you're not of the open marriage/swinging culture, then this is a band aid. A way to try and fix a symptom of a problem in your relationship as opposed to addressing the major issue.

Anyway, that's just my 2c. I hope things get better. :hugs

You'll have to excuse the iPhone auto correct. It sax!

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (24-01-2012),Deserama  (24-01-2012),Gothel  (24-01-2012),jesssalee  (02-10-2014),mum2bubba  (30-03-2012),MuminMind  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, personally i couldn't ever have an open relationship. I tend to be quite possessive and just imagining DH with someone else drives me crazy.
    I also feel a bit sick to think of having casual sex with someone else. Although an open relationship would never work for us, i think power to those who have a loving, functional relationship- no matter what they do! Different strokes for different folks teehee

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mulva For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (23-01-2012)

BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your input, GFP. I completely see where you are coming from.

But to stretch it further; *if* you (you- as in everyone reading) were in a platonic relationship where one of you are unable to engage in sex due to for example a medical condition (but the emotional connection was there), what would you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd consider it anyway.

I've actually told DH if he liked the look of someone and we spoke about it beforehand then I'd have no problem with him just having sex with her.

To me, sex and love is not related.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

FloatingFairy  (24-01-2012),MuminMind  (23-01-2012)