+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Missing my dad!

I miss my dad so much. He passed away 4 months ago after a battle with cancer. He was a fighter and didn't let on to us how bad it was. I think I might still be in shock. Sometimes I'm fine and then all of a sudden I'm a mess. I used to talk to him on the phone every day and I miss it so much. I don't think I've really come to terms wih him not being here any longer. Has anyone been to grief counselling for this?? I'm not sure if it would help or not !

Thanks
    Reviews
    You have nothing to lose by going to see a grief counsellor. When you are calm and relaxed, talk to your dad as if he and you were on the phone. He isn't far away. When you are sad, let it all out. Grieve and tell him how you feel. You miss him and it's to be expected. This won't stop but the intensity will wane. You will learn how to connect with him, if you don't already. Gd bless you. He loves you so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big((( hugs))) I know what you are going through I lost both my parents a few years ago and it's very hard, i still think about them alI the time.
    I left my xhusband around the same time because he was cheating on me.
    Please go get some grief counseling, I didn't and ended up with depression and on meds. Take care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    I have been to grief counselling and I found it hugely helpful. I'm not sure where you are but the organisation NALAG have very experienced grief counsellors. If they are not in your state ask them to refer you to someone who is. You can also find a grief counsellor by googling 'aps find a therapist' and then doing a search/advanced search. A mental health care plan from your doctor will help with the cost. Hugs to you It's good you are seeking support

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you contacted the cancer council? They are fantastic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone
    I think I'm a bit nervous to go talk to someone about it cos I will be in tears for the whole thing. I work in the mental health industry so i suppose it's hard to be 'on the other side' for me cos im usually the one giving people advice- I should just listen to myself and do it! I remembered last night my work has an employee assistance program so I can get free counseling through them. I will sort that out today! Thanks so much for the advice everyone- I needed I hear it !

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wannaBamumma For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've lost a few people recently to cancer, and 2 of them were people my 8yo was also close to. The Cancer Council were a fantastic support. My dd developed major anger problems and they talked her through a few things and she felt a lot better. It still hurts, when you achieve something or there's something exciting happening there's that urge to call special people, and they aren't around. I highly recommend them.