+ Reply to Thread
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default High speed police pursuits

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...-police-chases

So, should police pursuits be banned or should police be able to pursue when the situation requires?

Please bear in mind that other hubbers may have had experiences that have affected them personally, through the loss of a loved one on the road, experiences through theirs or their loved ones work in the police service etc etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my limited knowledge I thought police had strict guidelines to follow when chasing and when it is dangerous, they call the chase off? They chase the criminal because they are already driving dangerously dont they? I dont think it worsens the situation anymore than it already is... And if they get caught, even better.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think that the argument is that it can escalate and already volatile situation.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No they should not pursuit a high speed chase in my onionion, as it only makes things worse

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We get a few high speed chases around the roads near us but I have noticed the cops use the helicopter to chase them so it does make it a bit easier to abort chases without loosing the perp but it's a catch 22 situation. They don't know it's going to be a high speed chase till it occurs and if they let ,them get away because the perp won't stop then what message is that sending out. The day all cars are fitted with GPS trackers the better it will be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, I know this was posted a couple of weeks ago, but I have some knowledge (though I am not a police officer) in regards to this matter:

There are very strict guidelines with regards to a pursuit. I would hope that these guidelines are adhered to at all times.
    Pursuits are very closely monitored, and police helicopters and other resources are called into play when they are available.

I really think that there are so many variables in pursuits, it is not a black and white issue - I actually read in my local paper a while back about a pursuit that occurred at 40km an hour, and lasted for ages - the driver had warrants and was arrested.

I do agree that in some circumstances, it can aggravate a situation, I guess it depends on the pursuit and the situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The problem is if the cops don't chase the person, then all idiots know all they have to do is speed off - no-one will pull over for the cops

I think the penalties should triple if anyone tries to do a runner

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

brolly10  (16-02-2012),Luna Lovegood  (16-02-2012),MissPoss  (15-02-2012),risfaerie  (16-02-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    The problem is if the cops don't chase the person, then all idiots know all they have to do is speed off - no-one will pull over for the cops

I think the penalties should triple if anyone tries to do a runner
    this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Totally agree that the penalties should triple! It is the criminal that has committed the crime, not the police - and I think that some media outlets forget this at times.

If they do lose the criminal, they will get all other cars in the area to look out for the vehicle, and if they have some idea of who is in the vehicle they will investigate further. If you are on Facebook, the police are now also using social media as a way of appealing directly to the general public on matters, which I believe has been successful in regards to followup investigations too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bet3 View Post
    In my limited knowledge I thought police had strict guidelines to follow when chasing and when it is dangerous, they call the chase off? They chase the criminal because they are already driving dangerously dont they? I dont think it worsens the situation anymore than it already is... And if they get caught, even better.
    Yes police are trained adequately and do have to follow strict guidelines such as what you mention. My dh was involved in many during his time as a police officer.