+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Cleaning Venetian blinds (above kitchen sink)

Arrrr, I hate them!!
    I have 'plastic' or whatever material they are, venetian blinds above my kitchen sink and they are so hard to clean because I need to lean over the sink. Over time they have built up with dirt, oil, food etc.
    I am sure there must be an easy way to clean them
    Otherwise I will pull them down and install something much more practical! (Any suggestions?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw an awesome trick on a show ages ago (I also have blinds above the sink and they get feral). You grab a pair of tongs, 2 sponges and 2 elastics. You attach a sponge to either end of the tong bit and then away you go. It clamps around either side of the blind so it halves your cleaning time. I just use hot soapy water and it comes up nicely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing. Hate them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get rid of them and replace!!! Stupid things.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Azurial View Post
    Get rid of them and replace!!! Stupid things.

Not only are they stupid and a PIA to clean, but they are dangerous too. My DS somehow became tangled in one, AFTER we clipped the cords up high It was so scary, I hate them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, yeah I think we will replace them soon. I am not sure what to put above the kitchen sink though?

Spunkles, thanks for the idea, however I dont think a sponge will do the trick, they need a good SCRUBING!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mum always used to take ours down, fill a bucket with hot soapy water and used do them outside on the lawn with the broom. Then hang them over the line to rinse with the hose.

But I would be replacing them too. What about a roller blind you can pull down and up? Might help it stay clean?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I accidentally set my mums on fire when I was 14. They all melted into the sink and she ended up not replacing them because it opened the kitchen up so more and it looked onto our back garden.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Whitman For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (24-01-2012)

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can buy a duster for cleaning them. I also remmber my mother sending them off for cleaning once every couple of years then dusted weekly wirh cleaning. When i took over cleaning i took them down and replaced then with lace/sheer curtains.

XOOMing in to the hub from the couch

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Get cotton gloves from the supermarket and then use warm soapy water. Then use a fresh pair and rub some dryer anti static sheets on your gloved hands and wipe over, the anti static oils prevent it getting so dirty again.
    Or you could ditch them!