+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    gosh i've never really thought about it, i leave him alone alll the time LOL! We live in a small flat, but yeah i'd leave him from day dot when he was sleeping, and would go into other rooms, go downstairs to get the paper or whatever. Haha it sounds like he was never with me, but most of the time we were in the same room, i just didn't think twice of going into the kitchen to cook or whatever. He's 2 now and has been roaming the house unattended since he could crawl, really. Our place is pretty child proof
    Same here. DD usually follows me around anyways, but if DS (7 month) is asleep in his cot, or happy in the bouncer, I leave him for short periods.

Azurial: You must really crave those gherkins! Are you pregnant?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MuminMind For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, I'm Dutch, they are ingrained in my tastebuds from when its all my Oma had to eat in the war!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azurial For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (23-01-2012),MuminMind  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol I will add I don't sit and stare at my DD sleeping. I wear her in a sling while I do everything I would usually be doing or she plays in the swing in the kitchen with me etc. We spend a lot of time out and about though so we aren't home a lot just in the evenings when dp is at work.

Me being a first time mum and DD being so young I imagine things will change as she gets older and I was thinking about this earlier, when I came across someone making comments about leaving a newborn to cry and going to do their own thing. I wanted to see how everyone else does it

Ps put a hole in the lid of the jar of pickles with a knife, releases the pressure and should open easily

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post:

Azurial  (23-01-2012),ComeBackKid  (23-01-2012),MuminMind  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I couldn't leave a newborn to cry but i did leave the room and if he was happy in his swing or bouncer or asleep and since he was 12 weeks old i leave him upstairs in his cot asleep.. i have the monitor on of cause and check on him now and then .. give it a few months and you will give anything for a shower in peace

8. The Following User Says Thank You to insanity For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (23-01-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When they are newborn-a few weeks they never really leave my arms maybe out them down for the odd nap? As they become more awake I leave them to play while I go to the loo or whatever. From when they are happy doing tummy time onwards I will leave them as long as they are happy to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    depends on the age of the baby. the older and more mobile they are, the more supervision they need. when they are newbies, i put them in a rocker and if they are awake, i take them with me if i need to go for longer than 5 mins (hanging out washing, cooking, shower etc). if its just a couple of minutes then i leave them alone. if they are asleep, i use a monitor, I have one with a camera so i can see them. once they get mobile. it's all about common sense really. if i had a dog or cat in the house that could smother a baby then of course i would only leave if the animals were out etc.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 1+1=5 For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I never really thought about it much either. With my ds I know that he was with us a lot of the time. We didn't use the monitor til he was 3.5 months old & went into his own room. Wherever we were, he was. It's all a bit of a blur, so I'm not sure when things changed exactly.

With my dd I leave her all the time! Seriously, if she's asleep I put the monitor on & go wherever (collect the mail, play with my ds in the garden, shower, etc, etc). My ds is noisy so I need to put her in the bassinet in our room with the door shut now otherwise she won't sleep. Earlier on she'd be happy to sleep in the swing in the lounge room with us. If she's awake I was happy to leave her on her playmat while I pottered around within earshot (in the kitchen/laundry/etc). In fact, mat time was the easiest time to manage - she was happy playing and I knew she'd be content for 30+ minutes so I could do other things & intermittently interact with her. Then she started rolling everywhere last week so I have to be much closer at mat time now. Although I did manage a shower tonight while she played on her playmat on the bathroom floor.

I think having a video monitor has made me more confident to leave her too. Knowing I can 'spy' on her while she's in her bassinet helps reassure me that she's ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With DD1 I never left her ever. I didn't have showers when home alone haha. It drove me nuts and wasn't healthy.

DD2 I left all the time. I would carry her if she was unsettled but if she was asleep or happy to lay on the lounge floor I would leave her there and sit with DD1 to do activities. It was the only way to find a balance with a 17.5 month old to entertain as well!

We live in a small unit now and at 3.5 and 2 they have full free range as it's all baby proof and tiny so I hear everything they do, and I don't follow them into rooms etc. I just check on them if it goes quiet! lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    The houses we had before this one were both open plan. By the time we moved in here she was toilet trained, walking, talking, I had no problem leaving the room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    With my dd I leave her all the time! Seriously, if she's asleep I put the monitor on & go wherever
    This ^^

And if she's awake and I really need to do something like shower or do dishes or whatever, I will pop her in her My Little Lamb swing in her room for 15 mins or so. If she's even slightly tired that thing puts her to sleep straight away, if she's not tired she is happy to sit and swing, staring at her stuffed toys on the shelf. Our house isn't huge, so I could hear from the kitchen if she kicked up a fuss.

She lives in her pram with the seat reclined (better angle for reflux than her bassinet) and so I can wheel her around the house with me. I used to leave her asleep in it while having a shower, but now that she is a few weeks older and happy to sit quietly and look around, I park the pram in the threshold of the bathroom and she watches me have a shower and pull faces at her through the glass.

I've always left her alone while going to the loo