+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default *kind of spinoff* leaving your baby

I was thinking of asking this prior to reading something alarming tonight that finally prompted me to make a thread so here goes

How long and when would/do you leave your baby alone in the house/room while you aren't there? As in newborn in the bedroom you outside, or baby I lounge you in kitchen.

For me, DD is 9 weeks and I will only leave her while I use the loo. If I need a drink etc she comes with me. I have her with me 24/7. I'm not saying this is the right way as it isn't always possible with other kids etc I'm just curious

Thanks
    Reviews
    When they were asleep - left until they woke up. My first child, before she rolled around I would leave her for a few minutes in other rooms whilst I went to toilet, got dressed etc. 2nd newborn wasn't left unattended ever because I also had a two year old.

Even now, whilst I definitely leave my kids (4 and 2) unattended in other rooms, or outside in their sandpit etc, I always know where they are and what they are up to. Saves painted walls, flushed jewelry, trashed rooms etc!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I left my 6 month old asleep in her cot today while my 2yo was playing at my neighbors house across the road.

I came in to check on her every 10ish mins. When she woke she was happy and playing with her comforter.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babycart For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had no reason to leave my baby alone, but my brother will leave his baby asleep to fix up washing, but they are in one of those estate areas where the houses are small with barely any yard. He always has the baby monitor with him and responds immediately when he hears the baby.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When dd was a newborn she would be in her bassinet in our bedroom at the othe rend of the house while asleep. No monitor either, our house is pretty small so no need. Also, I would put her in her bouncy chair while I hung up washing or whatever. Other than that I don't think I ever left her really. She would usually be beside me or on the playmat. Now she's older (9 months) I can put her in her walker and she runs around and bangs into walls etc lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyLoaf For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I go outside to hang washing or check the mail while my little man is sleeping, I'll also be in other rooms in the house while he is in bed. But I'm never out of earshot or gone for more than a minute. Generally, if he's awake im close by because he is only 11 weeks old and has so little awake time that I want to be interacting with him or supervising his alone play

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I put my bub (now 5 months) in her swing or on playmat on floor to hang washing out or to attend to whatever my 2yr old needs doing with him in other rooms (putting to bed, having tantrum, going to loo, tidying up etc). I'm happy to leave her by herself if she is happy to be left by herself, if she wants to be held then I put her in the sling and wear her.

I'm pretty relaxed with it, being a second bub its just not practical to pick her up and carry her in my arms at the drop of a hat if toddler needs seeing to or interacting with

13. The Following User Says Thank You to breakthemould For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When she was alseep id often leave her to go and do things. Im not going to stand there and watch her sleep the whole time! Id do washing, go out into the garden (but out vege garden is just outside her window so you could hear her if she woke) go to the kitchen and do the dishes - i mean thats WHY they invented baby monitors?

When she couldnt move id duck outside to feed the dogs without her or to the mail box if it was raining or to the laundry to put on a load of wash.
    Id leave her on the floor to go to the bathroom or get lunch (although you can see the lounge room from the kitchen)

When she started crawling she was never left alone - or if i left the room she would follow anyway
    Last edited by Bank; 23-01-2012 at 20:52.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bank For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (23-01-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    gosh i've never really thought about it, i leave him alone alll the time LOL! We live in a small flat, but yeah i'd leave him from day dot when he was sleeping, and would go into other rooms, go downstairs to get the paper or whatever. Haha it sounds like he was never with me, but most of the time we were in the same room, i just didn't think twice of going into the kitchen to cook or whatever. He's 2 now and has been roaming the house unattended since he could crawl, really. Our place is pretty child proof

17. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah I've always considered myself pretty "free-range" even when DS was a newborn. I'd leave him on his mat while I went to brush my teeth, and in his swing while I hung up washing (I could see him through the window).

And now he can crawl and cruise, I let him go around the house by himself but I keep an eye on him and if I can't hear him I'm pretty quick to come after him (our house is TINY). We do spend most of the day together, doing stuff, but when I'm doing housework he is often happy to help me out and also explore the house at the same time.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (23-01-2012)