+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Bed time Routine Advice

Hey Ladies Im just after some advice with bed time routines. (I hope this is in the right section!). Okay so DS is now 5 months old and I was just wondering if you had any sort of routine with bedtime. We have a routine its just at a different time every night. So far we Bath him, give him a bottle, read, he has a bit of a muck around throwing his legs in the air then he falls asleep. What I'm wondering about is...we always put him to bed on his last bottle of the night (He's Formula Fed).

So depending on what time he wakes up in the morning and at what times his bottles end up at...his bed time ranges between 7pm and 10pm...(If his last bottle of the night is due way too late we do his routine without the bottle). Sometimes his bottle is due at 5:30pm so its like...do we put him to bed around 5:30 or do we wait until his next bottle at around 9:30pm ( Too early or too late!) Is this normal? Im hoping other people do this too because I have been reading a lot about bed time routines and a lot of sources say to put them down at a specific time every night. He doesnt need to feed to sleep thankfully so it wouldn't be a problem to start, we just always got into the routine of giving him a bottle before he goes down for the entire night and it seems to work for us. He always wakes up happy and almost all of the time he goes down without a fuss, he also sleeps through 90% of the time.... so what should we be doing at 5 months..keep going with what we are doing or introduce a specific bed time with or without a bottle? Argggh Im sure this all sounds confusing so I apologise If you dont understand what I mean lol Any stories would be greatly appreciated! Im just such a confused 1st time mother and I over think everything...This is what works for us but at the same time I feel bad that he goes to bed late..even though he naps at night between feeds..I dunno

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    He has 5 bottles a day 230 mls per bottle so i might try that idea, Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank You, very helpful.. Fx lol

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My bub is 5.5 months and breastfed, but we have just started a routine in the last few days.
    The way I work around starting the day at different times is that the first feed may be anytime between 4:30am and 6:30am, then the rest of the feeds are at 10am, 2pm and 6pm (ish). 6pm is bedtime, with bath, feed, bed. Then she usually wakes for another feed at about 10pm.
    She also wakes for more feeds during the night, but I am hoping that a firm routine might stop this.
    My DD seems to cope ok with this (and sometimes a big gap between the morning feeds), but she is also having 3 x solids meals a day (just started a couple of weeks ago).
    Hope that helps!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you! Yeh thats what I was looking at doing as a routine because he has just started solids as well so it would be nice to have an actual bed time for him that isnt too late. Thanks for the replies

Thanks
    Reviews
    i get my kids into a routine from BIRTH and stick to it. this pays off amazingly in the long run. i find that babies fall into a routine on their own but we encourage them to go down to sleep between 5:30 and 7pm. Once they settle in and you find the time they go down for their end of day sleep, you STICK TO IT. i close all blinds at 5pm which tells them that bedtime is nearing (also changes the brains chemicals to let the body calm down) and do the play, bath feed sleep thing (I really don't think the order matters to be honest) and then off to bed. so far, my 16 month old goes to bed at 5:30, my 5 year goes to bed at 6:30 and my 8 year old goes to bed at 7:30. The eldest was allowed to stay past 6:30 once he turned 7. both of my eldest boys wonder off to bed on their own, there is no mucking around because they know that bedtime means bedtime. this can be done in a gentle and non-militant way.

I think it's really important to get kids into a rhythm/routine asap and keep them on it for good. no faffing around. this ensures i get the night to myself or just DH and i when he is at home and the kids get a good night sleep, ready for school the next day. i think anything past 7:30 or 8 is just too late for a child.

i breastfeed and we co-sleep so this is adaptable to all parenting styles.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1+1=5 For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (23-01-2012),Purple Lily  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What Purple Lily said
    I would choose a bedtime and either drag him out if he's not screaming for his late arvo bottle, or give half of it, then the other half at bedtime.

Otherwise put him to bed without his bottle if he is happy with that and then maybe dream feed him when you go to bed if he hasn't woken up for it so you don't have to get up to feed him an some ungodly hour.

Its great that he isn't fussed about having a feed to get to sleep! Saves you the hassle that all the rest of us have with bubs who NEED to feed to sleep (mine!).

My DD is 5.5months also (BF) and our bedtime routine is a bath at 6pm, brief massage with music in dim room, cuddle and BF to sleep and in bed asleep at 6.30ish. She has just started solids (avocado, banana, apple or sweet potato) once a day usually in the arvo some time. She then has a dream feed at 9.30 and then wakes up at 12ish and 4ish then up for the day at 6ish!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to breakthemould For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (23-01-2012),Purple Lily  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whoops meant "what Tormy said"!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks so much for the replies ladies you have all been an awesome help! We will be starting to put him down at a specific time tomorrow night and sticking to it! So we will do the routine we were doing but starting at 6:30pm. Thanks again for the advice, greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    good luck and please be gentle

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 1+1=5 For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (23-01-2012)