+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Short cervix-conservative management.

Hey guys, well with the joys of my job, I checked bub last week and discovered my cervix funnelling, went to the obstetrician and it is 2cms and partially funnelling, didn't change with another scan 24hrs later. I go back for another scan tomorrow and am waiting for an appt with the fetal medicine unit at the mater in brissy. They are hesitant to put a stitch in as it is later than they like to do it ( I am 22 weeks) and the risks are higher. They don't know the cause as I have none of the risk factors (pre term labour or LLETZ procedures). So I am at home on rest waiting for this appt and next scan to see what to do next. I am interested to hear anyone who had a similar story and didn't have a stitch put in and how far they made it before they had their bub. I am hoping to just make it to 32 weeks, even if I am off work the whole time it doesn't matter although I am missing doing other people's scans!! Thanks. xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi SonogLoz- I read your reply on another post and then did a search for you. I'm desperate for you to answer a question for me please. I had an internal ultrasound last Monday and baby measured 7w6d with heartbeat of 171bpm. I was told by the lady doing scan that the gestational sac was way behind in growth, only measuring 5w5d. I have done heaps of research and have mixed answers on what to expect. Can u please tell me how often you come across something like this? Should I prepare myself for a miscarriage? Is there hope of the sac growing or being measured wrong? I have been drinking 4L of water a day since the scan last Monday in the hope it might help the sac to enlarge. Can u pls give me your honest opinion. I would appreciate it so much. If it helps, I'm 36, this was our 2nd round of IVF.
    Thank you. Ange

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of the ladies in our may group went through the same thing except they placed an emergency stitch and she was put in permanent bedrest, admitted into hospital at 24 weeks and the stitch tore at 24 weeks but they gave her steroid shots and a whole bunch of others so he was born at 24w 6days and is a fighter, doing well for such a tiny mircale.

I had the preventative stitch at 12weeks because I fully dilated at 17weeks last pregnancy to lose the Bub but now at 24weeks I'm on moderated bedrest.

It's a very touch and go situation but I guarantee you're on permanent bedrest and there is a high chance he will be premmie.

Good luck don't stress they found it early so with bedrest now there's a chance your cervix will lengthen again. /hugs

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am having the scan on Friday to check my cervical length. I will be 15 weeks and 5 days. What does the length need to be to avoid the stitch or when is it a risk?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have any personal experience as yet. I've had a preventative stitch at 11 weeks & now I'm 14 weeks. I knew I would need one due to a cone biopsy. From what I've read you will probably be on bed rest. Wishing you all the best & fingers crossed for bub to stay put.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ange, I don't think a smaller sac is generally a good indication of whether you will miscarry, ultrasound can never rule out or point to miscarriage unless there is no heartbeat really!! I wouldn't stress, drinking water won't enlarge the sac so don't go overloading yourself as that can be bad for you!! If it was me I wouldn't worry, just think positive, try and relax and take it day by day. good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your quick reply. Your answer has relieved me. I have my next scan tomorrow. Thank you again and best wishes to you for a healthy pregnancy.

Sent from my iPhone