+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    And I was only young with no family around and a friend of a friend said oh try this book (SOS) and I though this was normal... Milk dried up, i cried non stop and was beside myself... My poor baby i wush i coukd turn back time. Wish I had known about co sleeping and breastfeeding like I did with my 2nd DS THANK GOD for my lactation nurse she was my angel and now our house is full of cuddles & kisses and books at bed time

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IVFmumof2 For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (23-01-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I whole heartily agree with throwing that book away.
    In regards to breastfeeding it is really important that you get it right early on. The first 6-8 weeks are essential to establish your supply. Babies need to feed at least 8-12 times in a 24 hr period (most babies closer to 12 times). If you are feeding every 4 hrs then bub is only feeding 6 times in 24 hrs. I would be very concerned about your milk supply now. Making milk is all about supply and demand. The more you feed your baby the more milk you will make. The feeds at night ate really important as they are more rich and nutrient dense and night feeds help your supply even more.
    At the moment your babies tummy us the size of a golf ball do he/she needs to feed frequently. Other things I would look for is how many wet and soiled nappies are occurring in a 24 hr period. Some little babies ate very sleepy and actually need to be woken to have more frequent feeds.
    Parenting a newborn is intense but it does get better and babies do naturally settle into their own routines.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Loulabelle For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (23-01-2012),jennibear  (23-01-2012),MissPoss  (23-01-2012),wrena  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Loulabelle View Post
    I whole heartily agree with throwing that book away.
    In regards to breastfeeding it is really important that you get it right early on. The first 6-8 weeks are essential to establish your supply. Babies need to feed at least 8-12 times in a 24 hr period (most babies closer to 12 times). If you are feeding every 4 hrs then bub is only feeding 6 times in 24 hrs. I would be very concerned about your milk supply now. Making milk is all about supply and demand. The more you feed your baby the more milk you will make. The feeds at night ate really important as they are more rich and nutrient dense and night feeds help your supply even more.
    At the moment your babies tummy us the size of a golf ball do he/she needs to feed frequently. Other things I would look for is how many wet and soiled nappies are occurring in a 24 hr period. Some little babies ate very sleepy and actually need to be woken to have more frequent feeds.
    Parenting a newborn is intense but it does get better and babies do naturally settle into their own routines.
    Brilliant advice! Well said

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IVFmumof2 View Post
    And I was only young with no family around and a friend of a friend said oh try this book (SOS) and I though this was normal... Milk dried up, i cried non stop and was beside myself... My poor baby i wush i coukd turn back time. Wish I had known about co sleeping and breastfeeding like I did with my 2nd DS THANK GOD for my lactation nurse she was my angel and now our house is full of cuddles & kisses and books at bed time

7. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

IVFmumof2  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm going to throw my 2c in here too.

My DS has been responded to everytime he cried and fed on demand. I am REALLY ANTI-CC (as lots of hubbers know). We've had horrible months where he would wake all night long, but now at 1yo he sleeps through some nights and most others wakes only once for a feed.

God it was so tempting to just let him cry. But I'm so glad I didn't. That horrible period of our lives was only a few months and I know for sure I did everything I could to give him a secure, loving attachment and trust in me.

Why not just wait and see how things go? Your baby might start sleeping through himself in a few months, or maybe down the track you might need to seek help from a sleep school or you might decide to give CC a go if you are going out of your mind.

But at the little newborn stage the best thing you can try to achieve is just giving your baby a secure start in life by responding to his needs. I know you hear it all the time but it IS just a tiny phase in their life, just enjoy your baby

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (23-01-2012),IVFmumof2  (23-01-2012),jennibear  (23-01-2012),smallpotatoes  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your bub sounds like he was already settling into his own routine, which is now changing because you are following SOS hence the extra wakings and feedings. To me (I'm not an expert, only a newish mum so keep that in mind!) I would revert back to what you were doing before. I also tried SOS and for me, I'd rather use it to prop a rocky table. Out of curiousity, is there a reason you want a set in stone routine, especially so early? Please be very careful of your milk supply, see a LC if you think you need to before it is too late if you think making these changes has messed with your supply.

To my knowledge there is not set time when a bub is supposed to start sleeping through. I'm part of a mothers group of nearly 70 mums, our babies are all aged between 4 to 5.5 months and some sleep through, some come close and some still get up every 2 hours. As far as I can tell there is no correlation between routines/habits/if the mums were first timers or not and when the bubs started sleeping through, every one of them seem to be doing their own thing. I can tell you that there are a couple of ladies at the moment whose bubs are just starting to sleep through and they are having supply issues because of it. I am also fairly confident that not one of the mums in the group uses CC yet, our bubs are just too young.
    I hope this helps.
    Please don't follow any advice, or book, or routine that isn't working for you or doesn't feel right. You are the only person that is an expert on your baby and your life! I can tell you that for me, doing what feels right for me and my baby has meant that I've enjoyed every single day, I rarely get frustrated, tired or annoyed and I love, love, love my life right now

11. The Following User Says Thank You to meyly For This Useful Post:

IVFmumof2  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Looks like I am the minority munchkin80, each to their own. One valuable lesson I have learnt as a mother is not to judge others because what works for others may not work for you and vice versa, isn't that right ivfmomof2....

And yes I garden/cc when I know precious is fed dry clean and tired. I wouldn't use it as a gauge for bad parenting!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Halo80 For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I found that things I did during the day helped get my DD into a good sleep pattern at night. Like trying to get her to tell day from night (day sleeps in a bright room, night sleeps in absolute darkness), and a strict bedtime routine (6pm bath, 6.30pm bottle, 7pm bed).

She started sleeping 11-12 hours straight from 9 weeks. I found that an American book called 12 Hours Sleep by 12 Weeks Old really helped simplify things - its heaps simpler than SOS and just gives advice on how to stretch out the night feeds very gradually.

My DD was bottle fed from 6 weeks though so maybe that helped too.

Hats off to all you mums waking several times a night - I don't think I could cope! With the next one I'd seriously consider bottlefeeding again for this reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    I found that things I did during the day helped get my DD into a good sleep pattern at night. Like trying to get her to tell day from night (day sleeps in a bright room, night sleeps in absolute darkness), and a strict bedtime routine (6pm bath, 6.30pm bottle, 7pm bed).

She started sleeping 11-12 hours straight from 9 weeks. I found that an American book called 12 Hours Sleep by 12 Weeks Old really helped simplify things - its heaps simpler than SOS and just gives advice on how to stretch out the night feeds very gradually.

My DD was bottle fed from 6 weeks though so maybe that helped too.

Hats off to all you mums waking several times a night - I don't think I could cope! With the next one I'd seriously consider bottlefeeding again for this reason.
    My baby slept 12hrs well before 12 weeks, and was demand bf. Formula is no guarantee they will sleep longer sooner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    My baby slept 12hrs well before 12 weeks, and was demand bf. Formula is no guarantee they will sleep longer sooner.
    Definitely this.

Once your supply is established baby will be no more satisfied by formula than breast milk.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

IVFmumof2  (24-01-2012)