+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Mine slept through from birth, demand feeding and co-sleeping. Also technically if bub sleeps for 5 solid hours that's sleeping through.
    Really? Gosh I would love 5 straight hours. It is unusual for a breastfed baby to sleep through. I have to say I know a lot of mums. I mean a lot. And I think its only fair to prepare people for the reality that it is normal for a breastfed baby to wake through the night for feeds. People don't necessarily explain this to people.. That it is NORMAL and not always something you can train out of a baby

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    Really? Gosh I would love 5 straight hours. It is unusual for a breastfed baby to sleep through. I have to say I know a lot of mums. I mean a lot. And I think its only fair to prepare people for the reality that it is normal for a breastfed baby to wake through the night for feeds. People don't necessarily explain this to people.. That it is NORMAL and not always something you can train out of a baby

Yes it is normal for a tiny baby to wake frequently, I didn't think only mothers of normal babies were to respond. My apologies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Huh? I wasn't having a go at you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to emphasise how its unusual that your baby did that, not saying you can't reply. Cos sometimes new mums just don't realise that. I certainly didn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the posters that said throw away that awful book. If your baby cries, it's because they need you. Feed on demand - they will soon settle into their own pattern.

My DS slept from about 11pm - 6am at 8 weeks. It wasn't anything I did to make it happen, I just followed his lead. Fed him when he was hungry and put him to bed when he was tired. He's always been a good sleeper and I think it's because I followed his lead rather than making him follow a routine that didn't suit him.

All babies are different. Some sleep through early, others not until they are 2 or older. They are all normal, thy are all jut different like we adults are.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

IVFmumof2  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD is 9 weeks and she is starting to sleep anything from 3-5 hours through the night. I will have 4/7 nights sleeping 5 hours. We co sleep and demand feed and during the day she will feed every 1.5-2 hours. I can't give advice on routines as I have no idea how anyone could really force one upon a baby so young. But I will say though that those first probably 6 weeks are hard adjusting to. But seriously it's worth doing it right. I beleive if you respond to your babies as you should they will ultimately be settled content and happy. Like I said DD is starting to sleep through on her own, we never have any crying and it makes those sleepless night seem as though they never happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I demand feed, co-slept, cuddled constantly pretty much AP and DD slept 12 hours a night from newborn and still does!!

I'm disgusted that people CC leaving a 4 week old to cry!!?? Omg!!? Why have babies is your going ro let them cry while you ignore them and go gardening!!! God.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Californication  (23-01-2012),emzluvbub  (23-01-2012),Etienne  (23-01-2012),jennibear  (23-01-2012),MissPoss  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    please throw that book out, the woman who wrote it has no qualifications to write such a book. she didn't even have children of her own when she wrote it. it's vile and should not be on the market. she basically made the whole thing up.

I have co-slept with my babies (I'm not saying you have to co-sleep) and they all fell into a routine/rhythm very quickly. they are also all very different and some babies will sleep more than others, it's a matter of getting through the months or first couple of years for a life time investment.

OP, your bubba is just so tiny, i think this book has given you a false sense of what this poor little baby 'should' be doing at the age, babies wake multiple times a night out of biological need and immaturity. please look into Pinky mcKay or if you like research, look up a site called The Natural Child Project, it has a lot of articles by James Macenna who is a leading SIDS researcher.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 1+1=5 For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissPoss View Post
    I control cried one, and demand fed and cuddled the other to sleep. The latter is the one who started sleeping through the night earlier and is a more vibrant, confident little girl. My eldest I regret CCing, but I was naive and just did what I was told is best.

DD2 started sleeping through the night completely somewhere between 7-10 months. At 6 months when she began solids DH would settle her nightly call so she didn't smell my boobs. He would pick her up and cuddle/sing her to sleep. She's now a great sleeper unless she's been sick. My eldest still has sleeping issues..
    This is my story exactly, so many problems with my first DS from control crying, moved to pinky's book and my own instinct when my 2nd DS arrived and he is getting better but the trust had to be brought back that I would be there when he cried, I have felt so much guilt and cried so many times for realizing what I'd done, I now give him so much affection and my second DS sleeps so well and is such a confident little man he knows mumma's there for him and now I'm glad I've got that back with my eldest how do you deal with the guilt because I struggle sometimes I end up in tears when he crys at night thinking I'm not there

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IVFmumof2 For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (23-01-2012),MissPoss  (23-01-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (30-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo80 View Post
    Munchkin, I totally disagree with ivfmomof2. I am a great believer of routine and of mum and dads sanity. We did four hour feeds and found our little one cut out the night feed at around 7 weeks.... I have to say it was bliss and allowed me to be a much more attentive mum to my children in the day because I wasn't a walking zombie. I am also a great believer of control crying, in the day time I used to go out and garden.
    Totally agree.I followed the "sleep sense program" with ds2 and wish I had had it with ds1. Has made life a lot easier! For the first 3 mths though I would feed as frequent as baby requires then implement a routine. I am also a believer of controlled crying, I'm very anti co-sleeping, i think its an unhealthy bad habit to get into. The first night I started the sleep guide bub cried for 10mins then settled himself and is now is a good self settler and it makes me a happier better mother because I get a good sleep too.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 23-01-2012 at 19:47.