+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo80 View Post
    Munchkin, I totally disagree with ivfmomof2. I am a great believer of routine and of mum and dads sanity. We did four hour feeds and found our little one cut out the night feed at around 7 weeks.... I have to say it was bliss and allowed me to be a much more attentive mum to my children in the day because I wasn't a walking zombie. I am also a great believer of control crying, in the day time I used to go out and garden.
    Sorry, you used to garden while bub was asleep or crying?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (23-01-2012),IVFmumof2  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh to answer your question my first child slept through at around 1 year old. He woke twice a night from early on and that is quite good believe me. Get used to night waking lol it is normal in a breastfed baby! One or two times waking up a night is totally normal and awesome I'm jealous. My youngest wakes up like 5 times a night. Going crazy ha ha ha

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine slept through from birth, demand feeding and co-sleeping. Also technically if bub sleeps for 5 solid hours that's sleeping through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im with other PP...THROW THE SOS BOOK AWAY!!!!!!!
    Both my bubs were BF and both slept through around 8 weeks!!! I demand fed and they both fell into routines and slept through on their own. Bub WILL fall into a routine by himself, all you need to do is follow his lead!!!

CC or anything along those lines is IMO not something you should be doing before 6 months (if its something you want to do).
    While im not totally against cc ( i did do it breifly with both my kids around 1 yo) i think it 4 weeks is FAR too young to be attempting it. Bub is too young to understand what your doing, hes crying beacuse he needs something!!!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jennibear For This Useful Post:

Californication  (23-01-2012),IVFmumof2  (23-01-2012),mamabel  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most psychiatrists are of the belief that CC should not be done before 12 months, and babies should not be left to cry alone for more than 3 minutes because any longer and it might as well be hours.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (23-01-2012),Busy-Bee  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In the hospital they advised three hourly feeds and did say that if she wakes more often for feeds she didn't get enough to start with.

I think it's important to keep sane over everything else, however, at five'ish weeks your little baby isn't ready for a routine. She must dictate this for six months. After that I would suggest you try different methods of feeding her up to sleep longer.

Be kind to yourself and little one.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefully2 For This Useful Post:

IVFmumof2  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Every baby is different. All three of mine had different sleep patterns. I do know that the one I CC to sleep (my eldest, now 15) is the one I've always had the strained relationship with. He is also the least confident.

My youngest is just 17 months. He has never slept through and that's just how he is. I co-sleep and feed him to sleep and I have truly gotten used to the lack of sleep. I really don't mind much of the time.

Those first few months are hard, but remember their patterns change constantly. Sometimes they will wake every two hours or only cat nap or they'll shock you and sleep seven hours straight. It is normal! Please, I agree with PPs, throw away SOS. Get anything by Pinky Mackay. I also recommend "Buddhism for mothers" (I'm not a Buddhist, but loved it). Don't let your baby cry to sleep. Feed on demand - they really need it and holding out really messes with your supply. Seriously, it goes so fast, before you know it they are 15 and don't want all those cuddles anymore. Enjoy the cuddles, know that it will be hard at times, but remember "it too will pass."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Sorry, you used to garden while bub was asleep or crying?
    Don't. Honestly, there's so much wrong with this advice it's not funny but arguing the point won't help the OP.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Californication  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo80 View Post
    Munchkin, I totally disagree with ivfmomof2. I am a great believer of routine and of mum and dads sanity. We did four hour feeds and found our little one cut out the night feed at around 7 weeks.... I have to say it was bliss and allowed me to be a much more attentive mum to my children in the day because I wasn't a walking zombie. I am also a great believer of control crying, in the day time I used to go out and garden.
    You would let a newborn baby of 4.5 weeks cry?
    My heart breaks.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (23-01-2012),Californication  (23-01-2012),Gandalf  (30-01-2012),IVFmumof2  (23-01-2012),wrena  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD is 14 weeks and is only just starting to sleep through (in the 5 hours in a row sense).

I don't believe in letting get cry as I believe it is damaging to little babies as they are not rational and don't know why their parents aren't responding to them.

OP, I found that making sure her tummy was full and putting her to bed when she was awake helped. But in saying that a 4.5 week old will wake in the night to be fed. As Pp said it's totally normal

Please know that it's completely normal for little babies not to 'sleep through'