+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Um yeah my ex-boss was the most incompetent bully ever. Did no work but enjoyed crapping on about how busy and important she was all the time and made her staff feel like poo. We ended up making a formal complaint against her.

Please don't quote as I'll delete later for privacy.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    yeh its kinda standard practise - the culture in hospitality is appalling. The kitchens with the best reputations and ones you really want to work in tend to have the rudest chefs. There is a lot of drug use and s3xual abuse too.

I have always had a thick skin and didn't mind too much the harshness of the industry - the chef (girls and guys) yell all the time- maybe not like gordan ramsay, but they yell and swear and carry on and its high pressure. If its a good kitchen with a good chef I was always kind alike 'yeh ill wear that' because you have respect for the chef IYKWIM. I works at some great fine dining restuarants and the chefs were full on - but they were actually really great at their job.

I worked in other places where the chef is all the above + incompetent or a sh1t chef. I worked at one place where I have no idea how he got the job, he was a joke and would yell and carry on. In the end I quit in the middle of service and told him he a was a sh1t chef.

The worst though was still crown, the s3xual harrasment from HEAPS of old, washed up chef working in a crap venue was just GROSS. I was 18/19 and these guys were like 45-ish and would try to feel you up in teh cool room, grab your bum, make rude comments, talk smutt in front of you.

I think it is changing though now in general. In general the public accepts the appalling conditions of hospitality. In my time I saw the shift from not caring about produce to caring about it. People are more about the brocolli and the happiness of the chicken then the ppl who produce the food. I think slowly this is changing and in the future good restuarants will be recognised by how well they treat their staff. La Moda in melbourne now, the staff do only 8hr shifts a day - no split shifts, 40hrs a week. They get paid for every hr they work and from what I have heard you would never hear Frank yell or abuse staff.
    It's a such a shame it has been like that. Those stories are awful.

I have dealt with extremely rude chefs who think the waitresses are pieces of nothing, and have copped lewd sexual comments from a few chefs too.

My worst experience was in a popular cafe...one of the chefs kept coming on to me and when I rejected his advances he and a friend locked me in the big freezer room as a 'joke' and turned the lights off. I am claustrophobic (and in an icebox!), so it was petrifying. I quit that day and the boss didn't even care about my complaint - they had a hard time recruiting chefs (small town), so he didn't want to offend them Plus he was a chauvinistic pig.

In hindsight I should have taken it further, but I was young and naive at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My worst boss was a misogynistic, tantrum throwing (at 50+) pathetic excuse for a man.

I had been in the Exec Asst role for about 5 years when he came along (after my most wonderful, fantastic boss got shafted and left ) and he treated me ok at first, but little by little he took my role apart and treated me like I was some dumb chick who was only good for answering the phones.

So I left. I wasn't going to accept a dumbed down version of what had been a great job and I was sick of arguing with him about stupid stuff - he would loose paperwork and blame me and bang his fists on his desk and yell and carry on over nothing. His tantrums were worse than my 2yo!! I used to leave my office when he started and go and get a coffee or something because I didn't like being yelled at for no reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had my worst boss about 5 years ago. She was a 40 something 'mutton dressed as lamb' type with a nasal voice (think Janice on Friends) and she was about 4 foot tall (not being disrespectful to short people- just giving you the picture!). She also could not spell or punctuate and she said things like 'asept' instead of 'accept'' and all those other annoying words that I can't think of right now.
    I have no idea how she got her job. She had to talk with big companies and ceo's and it was so embarrassing being in meetings with her. Anyways, when I resigned she took it upon herself to start bullying me. I made a formal complaint to the general manager who told me I was being 'too sensitive' .... I left the next day after an argument with her and I yelled at her!!! It was so out of character for me but she pushed and pushed!
    I found out that she had a habit of bullying people who resigned so they would leave in their notice period...
    It totally sucked but felt so good to yell at her!!

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OMg !!!

I have a few!

Manipulative, flippant, disorganized, condescending, unreasonable, lazy.. Nuts.. Just totally nuts.. Should I go on?

I'm surprised I'm still hanging on and getting some-sort of a pay cheque. My boss makes doing my work next to impossible then has the hide to blame me for it. AHHH.

Hope you boss steps in dog poo

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my god, majestic hiss, you must have worked where I currently work

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have only had 1 bad one. He was a bully but never to me. He picked on one of my team (I was the team leader). He would keep a daily diary of what she said in the open plan office, count how many times she jingled her keys, write down when she would offer to make others a cup of tea etc. Thne he would bring her into his office and present her with the list to show her what a 'bad worker' she was. I tried to talk to him but he would justify his actions. So I spoke with her, told her to speak with the union delegate and she made an appointment with the boss and invited the delegate. I was asked to take notes. I do shorthand so after the longest meeting in history (8 hours) I had written 64 pages. Transcribed them and sent a copy to him, the delegate and our CEO. He was stood down because of it and eventually fired because it came out that his wife (she worked there too) was sexually harrasing one of the other female workers and he knew and did nothing about it. He was a tool, had 'short mans syndrome' and looked like a gnome. His wife did not resign and still came to work but then tried to make a claim against everyone else for workplace bullying which was bs. Weird place to work.

mystical mumma is offline * ʇı ǝןoʇs sǝıɹıɐɟ ǝɥʇ ˙˙˙puıɯ ʎɯ ʇsoן ʇuǝʌɐɥ ı *
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was employed fresh from getting my qualification.

First day was ok, second day was ok, third day he went off at me because on the second day I left at 4:57 to go to the toilet and didn't come back.
    Aaah sorry I really needed to pee, had done since my just after my lunch break and I was working my @rse off to give a good impression & I could not hold any longer.
    The toilets were on the way to my car. I had no office keys and all the other girls were sitting around talking crap.

I worked there for the week and quit.

Another job, the old b!tch I had to sit with would talk down to me. The bosses wife would make it was anyone else's fault when she didn't do her job right.
    The boss was tolerable... 99% of the time he was great, but that 1% of the time he was hell!!! When he went off he went off and it just didnt sit well with me.
    The second in charge was nice to my face but a b!tch behind my back.
    Another staff member didn't pass on that I called in sick two days in a row and when I went to work the third day she went off at me and even after I handed in my medical certificates stating I was genuinely sick, she still kept going off, so I quit.

dreadlockfairy is offline The best things in life.....aren't things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I worked with a total a$$hole. I would love to name & shame them. I honestly believe this man was a bad person. Bullied, harassed, 100 or so hours unpaid work. He is a disgusting example of a human being. Would love to name & shame him. But I guess this isn't the place.On a different job now, it wasn't the boss but the pasta chef. He took a fancy to me, was sooo nice & helpful. Then one night after work all the employees went down to the nightclub part of the pub after work. Pasta chef tried his moves on the dance floor (amongst other things). I wasn't interested. And the next morning at work he turned into the biggest w&nker imaginable. Rude, hostile, you name it. Guess his ego was hurt poor thing lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    One of my first jobs was awful. My boss just wanted me to do more and more and more. I started off doing the typical reception/front office duties (answering phones, mail, banking, reconciling etc and then he wanted me as his personal assistant so he made his current one redundant. I had to do the PA work PLUS my front office job.

Then the sales assistant left.

So guess who was the new sales assistant plus receptionist plus his PA? Me!

I was still being paid and classified as going the minimum clerk duties. Received no pay rises whatsoever despite doing what had been previously 3 peoples' jobs.

I was pregnant and one day he told me that one of the other workers there wanted to do something different so I could do her job as well. That was the day I gave notice. Horrible, horrible job for a pathetically low pay.