+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The use of the term against got me. I can see how someone can be against bed sharing, or against smacking, but I cannot see how someone can be against a type of cereal. I still don't know how it would be different to rice porridge.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have no idea what rice porridge is? Is it like rice pudding?

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    I have no idea what rice porridge is? Is it like rice pudding?

No, it's porridge made from rice instead of oats.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I googled and it seems it is? Rice pudding uses the grains a whole, it's not milled down and left to go stale for months on end..kind of like what Witwicky posted above, it's about the loss of nutrients that it goes through during the processing process. Plus all the additives they throw in. Bread has the same issue, the wheat looses most of it nutrients once it's broken down. It's about eating wholefoods vs processed foods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    No, it's porridge made from rice instead of oats.
    Hm, so you just use rice in place of oats? That's how I make rice pudding- rice, milk, sugar, butter and vanilla. I'll go look at a recipe..

Eta ahh it's a savory dish, when you said porridge I thought sweet.

Last edited by headoverfeet; 23-01-2012 at 17:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hm, so you just use rice in place of oats? That's how I make rice pudding- rice, milk, sugar, butter and vanilla. I'll go look at a recipe..

I make it with rice flakes and water brought to the boil on the stove, then add fruit or honey if desired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I make it with rice flakes and water brought to the boil on the stove, then add fruit or honey if desired.
    Yeah, not much different IMO to rice cereal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, not much different IMO to rice cereal.

That's what I thought. I'm glad rice porrige is available (although expensive as it's organic) so my child can enjoy porridge on stormy, wet mornings like today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Like pp,s I'm not against it at all, I just don't think babies need packaged rice cereal as a first food , and some health professionals still recommend it which is a shame, as for my child I believe fresh veggies/fruit/eggs were far more nutritious plus I made my own cereal for him

Rice cereal or porridge for older kids no probs if that's what they like

I think really farex ect had great advertising back in the day making parents believe it was a necessity , there are many cheaper, easier and healthier ways you can make your own porridge /cereal for your baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine has always had fresh, organic whole foods too, but she also always had what I had so puree or mash has always been on the menu, and now I use rice flour instead of rice cereal as a thickener at times when I happen to make it too runny. We also now use rice cereals that are organic from a specialty shop.