+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We rent by choice ,been in the same house for several years and maybe a few more but most people I know don't realize we rent till it comes up in convos. I would say most of my friends live in houses owned by the bank while some of the renters have had houses like us and are now renting again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We know both. Although I have to confess I've never divided my friends into those two groups before.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    We know both. Although I have to confess I've never divided my friends into those two groups before.
    No either have I, I just wondering today because I am have been stressing and dreaming about my mortgage and wondering what its like to rent. I went to ask some friends and I was 'oh I don't really know ANYONE who rents'

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's weird huh when you realise noone else in your circle can directly identify with your circumstance?

DH and I were the first married out of our close circle and also the first to buy. So I really do get where you're at.

I was just commenting that I've neveractually sat and put our friends into those particular groups before. So i had to stop and think.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We rent and I can only think of 2 other couples who rent.
    We want to buy, can afford repayments and have a deposit, but due to our unstable income we can't get a loan

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Most people I hang out with are renting (inner Sydney.) I know very few people my age (mid 20s) who own here.

Most of the homeowners in my local area are families/couples on good incomes, or older people who have owned their properties for a long time. I have a handful of friends who have bought places, but only one in Sydney.

I also know plenty of well-to-do people who rent because it suits their work/commitments.

It's not something I ask somebody when I first meet them. I also find that most renters want to buy someday but property prices and current rental payments make it hard to save enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no idea. I assume I know both, but really wouldn't have a clue and wouldn't feel comfortable asking - except perhaps using this thread as an excuse, as in being upfront that I'm asking for research purposes, lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We rent but have been looking to buy for the past 3 months.

Most people we know were renters and are all gradually becoming homeowners, We are actually one of the last (because DP is so super fussy and finding a house to suit him is horrendous).

We live in the NW suburbs of sydney and entry level prices here are around 530 - 550.

Majority of my friends are mid -late twenties. I'm one of the oldies at 31 :-)

**** I can spell, honestly! It's my iPhone's fault ****

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only know a couple of people who rent. I think it does depend on your circle (e.g. mostly married, mostly single, still studying, etc) and where you are though. My cousin is my age and lives in (inner) Sydney and hardly knows anyone who has bought. We used to live in Edinburgh and only know one or two people there who have bought. In Canberra the rental market is ridiculously tight and most people are public servants on reasonable incomes so it seems more common to buy especially once you're a couple.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know many people who own. In our old friendship circle, majority rented because they were all in the army and moving around a lot. Out of my high school friends, all but two of them rents. The two who own are the only ones who are married as well.

My sisters both rent, my mother rents, my close family friends rent. I rent.

I know about 5 people (close to me) who own.