+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank you all for your responses.

DH's psych said that he had never heard of fits of melancholy and he has been in psych longer then this guys has been in nuro. He seemed to indicate that this excuse was a load of hog wash. He has an eeg done, has a family history of epilepsy. I highly believe that he may have epilepsy or so ething causing these vacant/absent seziures but i am truly unhappy with the diagnosis and lack of guidence. To me it's like being told you have cancer, deal with it. You will notice more at some times then others.

DH is also worried as he the family history lead to a death (grand mahl in glass shower ) and he himself had 2/3 absent ones in one very long shower. We have enough hot water here for 4 long hot showers consecutively and he came out and went straight to check the system as he only got hot water for a minute or two.

Re: my issue, i'm pretty sure i have a trpped nerve or 2 as my elbow and finger both move oddly and the odd movements increase numbness.
    Pp if you could mention it to your nuro see if he thinks it is possible but i would say more then likely he would tell you to oass along the get a second oppinion line.

XOOMing in to the hub from the couch

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Also.. i am no stranger to epilepsy.. i have had an epileptic cate (caused by brain injury when it was poisoned), i have had 3 friends who were epileptic. My uncle as i said was diagnosed epileptic and i have known several others, also seen more. I did work experince in nursing during high school and saw at least 2 each daya.. one of those weeks was in a post natlal ward. I also worked in childcare where there was a severly epileptic 5 yo. Somehow thoguh seeing it happed to DH has scared me more then anything.

XOOMing in to the hub from the couch

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have worked with many, many children who experience seizures and believe me they come in all shapes and sizes. Some are almost undetectable unless you are watching closely and others have been the big ones most people think of when they hear the word epilepsy. In all, there has probably been about 40 kids and really, no two had the exact same seizures.

Of those kids, some had a diagnosis of epilepsy on it's own, others had it as a co-morbid diagnosis with psychiatric / intellectual /other disorders or disabilities and some didn't have a diagnosis at all.

My suggestion to you is to:
    keep a daily diary with DH, noting his general health / eating habits /mood.
    in the diary note any seizure activity seen by you or reported by DH including time and duration.
    make a list of all current medication he takes, including over the counter stuff, vitamins, health food supplements etc - include dosage and time he takes them.
    make a list of all previous meds and note down their effects / how long he was taking them for / why they were stopped.

You said about getting a second opinion and that would be my advice too. When you go, take all this information.

I have attended many neurology appointments with families and have found it invaluable to have all this information at your fingertips. It is so easy to forget things in the stress of the appointment. It is also important to have specifics about the seizures...there's a big difference between saying he's had 'lots' of seizures in the past two months and being able to say exactly how many, when and what type. It also helps to see patterns...does he have them at a particular time of the day, or when he is tired, or just before his meds are due.

Good luck to you and DH. I will keep you in my thoughts. Please let us know how he gets on.

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had absences since I was about 7 or 8. Spent a few years being ripped a new one for daydreaming all the time. I had a massive seizure in year 12 and was accused by the school nurse of not eating (trust me, not the problem). It wasn't it wasn't until I had one at home in front of my parents that I was seen by a dr and then a neurologist. After checking me for a brain tumor (I don't have one) then I was diagnosed.

Made in England is offline thought it was about time I put something other than 'senior member'...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    just wanted to say I'm sorry your DH and yourself are going through this. It's hard when you don't get all the answers.

My DF has epilepsy and suffers from grand mal seizures. He was first diagnosed aged 20 after an accident driving a tractor where he nearly died. It's unsure whether he had a seizure at the wheel of the tractor and that caused the accident, or if the accident caused the seizure. DF can't remember anything, and he had never had any seizures prior to that. I'm not too sure of all the tests he went through to diagnose, but I know he had an EEG and several over the years (he's 33 now). He is on Epilim which helps control the seizures, but if he drinks alcohol and then doesn't have a full nights sleep (anything less than 5 hours solid), he will have a seizure. The scariest was when I was about 34 weeks pregnant and we were getting ready for antenatal class in the bathroom, and DF fell backwards into the bath, fitting, dragging me with him. Luckily we were all ok. He does get an 'aura', where he can tell if he is going to fit, but it took him a long time to recognise the signs. I've learnt to pick it up, and know the signs so I can get him somewhere safe. He goes blank and sort of vacant looking, and if he is in the middle of doing something, he will get all confused. So if he manages his sleep well, and doesn't get drunk, then he is usually fine. He has been fit-free for about 18 months now.

I would defo be asking for a second opinion. DF travels to Melbourne to see a great Neuro there. PM me if you want any details for him. I hope you get to the bottom of what's going on.