+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 19 m old is transitioning to no naps, mostly because his big bro (nearly 3) has dropped his, like you I have given up the fight as its. Not worth he stress I find he is now going to bed at 5-530 though but not waking any earlier, you can only try putting her to bed early, remember she can't tell time

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Maximum22 For This Useful Post:

Chicky Pea  (25-01-2012)

Chicky Pea is offline aka 31andReady!!! (I'm not 31 anymore...ha ha!)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchypoo View Post
    If she wasn't appearing to be tired and struggling with the lack of sleep it wouldn't be a problem, but you have pretty much said that she is.
    Ummm.... not really sure where I have 'pretty much said that' at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicky Pea View Post
    She seems good natured during the day, except for normal toddler issues, and except for leading up to dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicky Pea View Post

Now that I've accepted that she doesn't sleep in the day, we are both so much happier. She isn't one of these whingy, tired babies. She has the energy and the happiness of a child who naps, and if you saw her at 4pm in the arvo, you would have no idea that she's been up since 7.30am (except for today because it's so hot and she's being a complete pain...).

Chicky Pea is offline aka 31andReady!!! (I'm not 31 anymore...ha ha!)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I should also add that since starting this thread, she has slept 7-7am, and 7-6am

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I get SOOOOO cranky when people tell me that kids 'should' be having x number of hours sleep at this age.

OP: my DS1 was having sleep issues since the day he was born, and I'm quite certain that it wasn't my fault because he was born not sleeping. He was having one 1.5-3 hours nap a day from about 12m (I think, it might have been more like 10m) but we had so much trouble getting him to go to sleep at night. Most nights he just couldn't get to sleep until at least 9pm. Then, after being criticised yet again about my son not sleeping enough at night, we decided to drop the day sleep cold turkey. (Yep, I'm that mean!) He fell asleep at 7pm that night. It took about two weeks of waking up at 4am and falling asleep at 8am before his body finally settled into a rhythm and he slept from 7pm to 6am from then on, with one or two half hour rests a week during the day.

By the time he was 3.5 he physically could not fall asleep during the day, and if he did sleep during the day he couldn't sleep at night for way longer than he'd slept for. He's now 5 and falls asleep somewhere between 7:30 and 8 and wakes up somewhere between 5:30 and 6.

There is no problem with his physical or cognitive development. I could not ask for a more beautifully behaved child. His gross motor skills are fine (he has a cautious personality, so they are only 'fine'), and his fine motor skills are great. I've just dropped him off for his first day of Prep, but he can already read with reasonable confidence and solve addition and subtraction problems well beyond Prep level. Yesterday he beat me twice at Yahtzee.

I'm now dealing with similar issues with my 14mo, and trying to determine whether I should encourage him to give up his day sleep or not. Both of my kids have needed under 12 hours sleep a day since birth.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susan Mac For This Useful Post:

Chicky Pea  (25-01-2012),Me&MrMagoo  (25-01-2012)