+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chicky Pea is offline aka 31andReady!!! (I'm not 31 anymore...ha ha!)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Transitioning to no naps @ 18mo

Hi guys!

After months of threads about my DD's issues with daytime naps, I think we have officially made the change, and my 18 mo DD now has no naps during the day, unless she is particularly knackered, and even then, she only falls asleep in the car. Even though a break from her during the day would be nice, I think I'm finally ok with accepting this change, this early in her life. We are much happier now without the daily nap fight, and I am feeling like less of a failure from not being able to get my child to nap.

My only problem is, even though she is going to bed up to an hour early at night, she is waking up to 3 hours early in the morning... *YAWN!!*

When she still napped, she would only sleep for about an hour, and then sleep roughly from 8-8am at night, so getting about 12-13 hours in total.

Now she has no naps, she sleeps from 7-7.30pm to 6am, yesterday it was 5AM!!! So only getting about 10 hours.

The first few days of no naps, she went really well and woke at her normal time, or even slept in a bit longer. But that has all changed for some reason. She seems good natured during the day, except for normal toddler issues, and except for leading up to dinner. I'm thinking that maybe I should bring everything in her night time routine forward even earlier but I'm scared she is going to wake even earlier too!!

For those of you whose child went to no naps this young, what issues did you face when making the change?

Do you have any other advice to make this change a bit more bearable...?

I appreciate any help you can give me!!

Chicky Pea is offline aka 31andReady!!! (I'm not 31 anymore...ha ha!)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    *bump*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My just turned 2 yo has recently dropped her day sleep too.

Funnily enough, she did the same thing, and started waking up earlier in the mornings. So frustrating!! Last night was the first night in about a fortnight that she had a 'proper' nights sleep.

Maybe their body clocks just need to adjust.

Sorry I'm not much more help! Hopefully it will sort itself out in a week or two (or sooner lol)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Chicky Pea  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think my two year old will drop his nap soon, it's getting later and later and shorter and shorter ... He's also going to bed later at night ...

I'm kinda looking forward to it!! Lol. I'll just make sure we have quiet time during the day ..

*** end of transmission ***

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Me&MrMagoo For This Useful Post:

Chicky Pea  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    18mths old and no day sleep! Not much you can do about it though if she doesn't want to sleep but they do still need a day sleep at that age and do up until they are 3.5ish.

My ds ceased wanting his day sleep at about 3yrs but I still make him have quiet lay down time for an hour in the afternoon and he will sleep if he has had a busy morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    18mths old and no day sleep! Not much you can do about it though if she doesn't want to sleep but they do still need a day sleep at that age and do up until they are 3.5ish.

My ds ceased wanting his day sleep at about 3yrs but I still make him have quiet lay down time for an hour in the afternoon and he will sleep if he has had a busy morning.
    I beg to differ, not all children need a day sleep at 3.5. Where did you get this information?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (23-01-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My ds2 stopped napping at the same age, he sleeps 6-5/6 but does wake up once-twice in the evening before we go to bed (we cosleep) but its not to play he does go straight back to sleep, but that's more of a self settling issue not a nap/sleep time issue. Not all children need day naps, mine have quiet time after lunch when they will watch a movie or they can play quietly in the toy room.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    I beg to differ, not all children need a day sleep at 3.5. Where did you get this information?
    From an indepth sleep program I have followed aside from many articles I have read on the net. Think how you feel when you don't get good sleep, so imagine how littlies must feel. Whether or not they sleep well at night, day naps are very important to keep a child on track with physical and cognitive development therefore the longer it is that they have their day sleep the better.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 23-01-2012 at 15:06.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh believe me, I understand what it feels like to be sleep deprived - I rarely sleep well, even when my children do. I just disagree that all children would be sleep deprived with no day sleep at 18 months plus. Some children maybe even earlier.

My 3 yr old will still ocassionally have a day sleep, but then will not go to bed before 10pm, therefore getting less sleep than if she had no day sleep. And it's not behavioural either, I have watched her time and again, geniunely trying to sleep.

I really don't mean to sound argumentative, I actually think sleep debt is a very serious thing, I just don't think it's that black and white.

Adults are the same in that average sleep requirements vary enormously.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    Oh believe me, I understand what it feels like to be sleep deprived - I rarely sleep well, even when my children do. I just disagree that all children would be sleep deprived with no day sleep at 18 months plus. Some children maybe even earlier.

My 3 yr old will still ocassionally have a day sleep, but then will not go to bed before 10pm, therefore getting less sleep than if she had no day sleep. And it's not behavioural either, I have watched her time and again, geniunely trying to sleep.

I really don't mean to sound argumentative, I actually think sleep debt is a very serious thing, I just don't think it's that black and white.

Adults are the same in that average sleep requirements vary enormously.
    Kids are all different. Ds1 still goes to bed at his usual time even If he has a day sleep but this year he is off to 4yr kindy then daycare in the afternoons so I think that will certainly be the end of any day sleeps he still has.