+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think they recommend it because its low allery and because of the iron in it or something. Not sure, I wasn't a huge fan myself but used to use it to thicken stewed fruit/vegies when I wanted them to learn to use a spoon themsleves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't plan on using it when we have kids. I wouldn't give them anything I'd eat myself. Luckily DP is on board for BLW when the time comes

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not against rice cereal and dd still has it some mornings (she's 9 months). I gave/give it to her because formula fed babies are meant to have lower iron stores. My girl quite enjoys it. We started off with the Rafferty's and now she has the Cerelac by Nestle as I noticed that one has probiotics, doesn't taste too bad either. Usually we add some fruit to it.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    my nurse said rice cereal is good because it's bland and low allergen. She said to just mix it with your breast milk or formula, so it's just a new texture and not a new flavour as well. Made sense to me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't know how the human race survived before the days of MCHNs, honestly, they make you feel as though it's compulsory! I think it's not really an introduction to food if it tastes like nothing but CakeyLoaf makes sense for FF babies.

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    We started on avocado as DS's first food, and very ripe soft pear as his second.

I gave DD rice cereal for her first food as I thought it was the 'done thing' back then. At least I mixed it with breastmilk, I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used it as a thickener for pasta sauce for a long time too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I tried it on her once cause that's what people said to use but she didn't like it and neither did I so I threw it in the bin.

I also didnt know that you're meant to slowly and gradually introduce certain foods, so I went out and bought a massive bunch of mixed fruits and veggies, steamed or boiled them all then pureed.

Each day, DD tried a different fruit and veg and within two weeks, had tried every fruit and veg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    So what type of cereals will they have? As they get older I mean. See, I had no forums when mine was a baby, read no books, had no trust in my formula-pushing CHN, so just worked it out myself. She had pretty much what I had which included puree food, mash, soup, all of which required a spoon but she handled a spoon well by about 10 months. She was having rice and pasta too and was given a spoon or baby fork to eat it with.
    I will give DD rice, pasta, porridge with fruit etc when the time comes (when she needs two meals a day I guess I'll introduce 'breakfast'? I'll prob use the Rafferties Garden Porridge that you mix yourself - as long as it has no sugar in it ...?)

I don't think BLW is against spoon or fork feeding (if that was your question? Ignore this post if I misunderstood your comment ), it just makes sense to me that if a baby is ready to eat then they should be able to pick up their own food, take a bite, mush it up in their mouth and swallow. That way they learn to eat food with lumps from the start and learn chewing straight away instead of just swallowing watery puree's then gagging when the time comes to have lumps. If a food requires a spoon or a fork, like rice or yoghurt etc, then we will use it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by breakthemould View Post
    I will give DD rice, pasta, porridge with fruit etc when the time comes (when she needs two meals a day I guess I'll introduce 'breakfast'? I'll prob use the Rafferties Garden Porridge that you mix yourself - as long as it has no sugar in it ...?)

I don't think BLW is against spoon or fork feeding (if that was your question? Ignore this post if I misunderstood your comment ), it just makes sense to me that if a baby is ready to eat then they should be able to pick up their own food, take a bite, mush it up in their mouth and swallow. That way they learn to eat food with lumps from the start and learn chewing straight away instead of just swallowing watery puree's then gagging when the time comes to have lumps. If a food requires a spoon or a fork, like rice or yoghurt etc, then we will use it.
    I just don't get this thread. Are people against rice cereal, or just prefer it not to be a first food? When dd started food, it was veges mid-morning, then when she movev to 2 meals a day, it was fruit mid-morning (after 9am long bf) and veges were moved to around 5pm. It wasn't until she was on 3 meals a day that I started to give her cereal, but I never did get why people are so against rice cereal, and if it is in fact any different to the rice flake porridge I made for breakfast this morning. Sure, some babies don't like it, but I don't know what causes people to be against it, you know?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (23-01-2012)