+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope at the end of the day there isn't much you can do to prevent it, and personally I now wish I had caught it on my mouth earlier as it would of given me an immunity to catching it where I have now.

I had over 10 blisters, inside and out, on top of AF and ended up on bed rest for a week with endone until it cleared up, it is horrible and I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

I am in the beginning of my second outbreak now, again ontop of AF just 2 months later, again, it's horrible. Not to mention how it destroys self esteem

2. The Following User Says Thank You to singlemumma82 For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    I know they can be dangerous for babies I just read that earlier
    I have read that its the first few days and when it is puss that it is the most contagious right? Anyway yes I am really disappointed with her because she is one of those over the top grandmothers who says don't put the baby in the wind she ll get sick on a 40 degree day, Don't let her inhale car fumes on a street she ll get poisoned, Don't put her in front of a fan she ll stop breathing (these were things she said to me yesterday mind you) Don't let her do this don't let her do that ok shes 80 years old but SHE KISSES HER WITH A DAM COLD SORE!!

Anyway I just have to start opening my mouth.
    Sorry, I didn't think I was reiterating the fact they were 'dangerous for babies' when you had just been told, I was merely trying to give an insight to how we manage someone here who has cold sores and who has a baby/kids.
    I was empathising with you as to how it sux when someone isn't as mindful when they have a cold sore and you as a parent are left with the worry. Sorry if my post came off as anything but otherwise.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    Sorry, I didn't think I was reiterating the fact they were 'dangerous for babies' when you had just been told, I was merely trying to give an insight to how we manage someone here who has cold sores and who has a baby/kids.
    I was empathising with you as to how it sux when someone isn't as mindful when they have a cold sore and you as a parent are left with the worry. Sorry if my post came off as anything but otherwise.
    oh no uniquey it wasnt a negative reply sorry i think you've read my post wrong honey im not mad at your info just mad at the gran. i am grateful for your reply I meant start to open my mouth with people kissing bubs

Oh and the dangerous for babies I read it on the net sorry I just meant I know I have read it elsewhere which stresses me even more no no your info is very much wanted and I am grateful gorgeous.
    Last edited by LoCo; 23-01-2012 at 10:46. Reason: Forgot to add something to helpful hubber

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LoCo For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by singlemumma82 View Post
    Nope at the end of the day there isn't much you can do to prevent it, and personally I now wish I had caught it on my mouth earlier as it would of given me an immunity to catching it where I have now.

I had over 10 blisters, inside and out, on top of AF and ended up on bed rest for a week with endone until it cleared up, it is horrible and I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

I am in the beginning of my second outbreak now, again ontop of AF just 2 months later, again, it's horrible. Not to mention how it destroys self esteem
    Frigin hell I am so sorry you are so unwell

I can only offer you a hug and hope you get better SUPER fast. Isn't there a tablet you can take that kills it within a day? DH was telling me about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No the tablet took about 3-4 days to take effect, it didn't help that I had no idea what it was and therefore had it for 4 days before even heading there.

There is a tablet available that does lessen the occurrence and severity of outbreaks but at the moment I simply can't afford it

It is also so degrading having to go to the doctor and then the pharmacist to get the meds each time I have an outbreak. I hate it, the stigma attached is horrible

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dear All,

I am currently making myself sick with worry following a day out with my cousin and his family. My cousin had a beard, so it wasn't until after he had blown a number of raspberries on my 11 month old son's neck that I noticed that he appeared to have the later stages of a cold sore break out. The blister on his lip was a nearly healed pink color, whereas the nasal lesion was scabbed. My little boy was also grabbing at his beard and is a profound thumb sucker.

I am truly making myself sick with worry as to my 11 month old baby's risk of developing HSV-1. He has a habit of rubbing his eyes, so in turn would be a high risk of eye infection if he contracted the virus. I feel so terrible for not having been aware enough to stop my cousin.

I would truly appreciate any feedback from you all.

Warm regards

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If they were already scabbed or on their way to scabbing then they are most likely not contagious anymore so you're probably fine. Cold sores are at their most contagious before they even show a blister.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

laned  (14-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Katelyn's had them it was awful, she cried and cried for days, it took a while to work out what was wrong, she had a red dot on her chin and then refused to feed at all, I had a house doctor come in the night when she'd just cried continually for hours and said she had a throat infection and gave us a prescription for anti-bs, and a couple of days later I took her for a second opinion and the doctor said it was cold sores inside her mouth. Jasper had them next, the sweetheart a few times when Katelyn was crying tried to kiss the sore on her chin "better" (despite me telling him not to!!!!) he was a bit upset, but not nearly so bad as she'd been, like I had a few nights in a row rocking her all night, with almost no sleep because she wouldn't let me stop rocking or she'd wake and cry. In a way though I'm kind of glad it's "over" - obviously it's irritating they'll get them now forever but the first ones are the worst. Though at the same time I wouldn't wish that on anyone, it was terrible for her, and us.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

laned  (14-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh Gosh my old old thread!!

Happy to say my DD never did catch it and I was just being oh so very paranoid which after reading the other cold sore thread am relieved I was this paranoid!!!!!

My family don't get it only DH's and they are in another state!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LoCo For This Useful Post:

laned  (14-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, thank you so much for replying so promptly. I rang the health line and was informed risk likely very low. DH is thinking I am overreacting, but as you would all appreciate, if they can be avoided then avoid them!!!

LoCo - thank you fort he update that is very reassuring. So pleased that your little one is fine xxx