+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Cold sores are actually quite dangerous for young babies. I don't wish to scare you, I'm just advising so that you are fully aware of the risks.
    The year my son was born, a newborn died from a cold sore, and I was consequently petrified of them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...infection.html

And again

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...rry-about.html

Note that these are newborns, and it is rare for newborns to contract it. It is not as serious for older babies, and most children carry virus in its dormant stage by the age of 2, with no issues.
    Last edited by Witwicky; 23-01-2012 at 08:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Unfortunately my DS has the virus he got them for the first time at about 12 months and it was horrible, several blisters and sores in his mouth and on his lips. He has had another single one since then.

I have the virus but haven't had a sore in at least a year, so I have no idea if I gave it to him or someone else. I feel so guilty when he gets one, that I have given my little man this disease!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I remember that Witwicky absolutely tragic .

I have never had cold sores in my life, but my DH does and he is soooo very mindful of them that even when he doesn't have one, he always drinks out of his own glasses. We never drink out of the same glasses as him, because he said he wouldn't forgive himself if I or the one of the kids caught them. He hates the pain of them and mostly the stigma he feels when he has an outbreak.

So needless to say, he is one of those people that is very mindful of how contagious they are and would NEVER entertain the thought of kissing someone, let alone a baby if he had one present, blister or not, they are still very contagious. As long as there is a lesion present, you are at risk.

In fact, on our honeymoon he had a huge one, (most likely from the stress of wedding prep etc) and sadly we didn't kiss on the whole time we were away for our honeymoon.

Loco, I feel for you, especially as you do all the right things to try and avoid something like this and it was very thoughtless of Gran to kiss whilst she had one. I hope that the quick actions of you washing your baby's hand did the trick and that perhaps your bub has some antibodies. But that said, if you've never had cold sores, I don't think bub would have antibodies? I'm not sure on that one.

for you and that bub won't get them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah28 View Post
    As PP's have said, yes they can. You are probably very likely to have the virus - 90% of the adult population has it but only around 30% percent of those have outbreaks of blisters.

How old is your baby? Usually babies have antibodies in their system from their mother till around 6 months old.

If your baby does develop any symptoms (they can be flu like before blisters appear), take them to the doctor ASAP as the virus can be very harmful to young children.

I've looked into this a lot as unfortunately I get them all the time and I was so worried about passing them on to my children.
    Thanks for that. Yes she is 5 1/2months so hoping she is still protected. I am hoping she doesnt catch it as it was towards the end and not pussy etc but still WHY KISS A BABY WHEN YOU HAVE IT ARGH!!! The worst thing is she lied about it and said it was a scratch because she was embarrassed that sh1ts me more again LYING about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    I remember that Witwicky absolutely tragic .

I have never had cold sores in my life, but my DH does and he is soooo very mindful of them that even when he doesn't have one, he always drinks out of his own glasses. We never drink out of the same glasses as him, because he said he wouldn't forgive himself if I or the one of the kids caught them. He hates the pain of them and mostly the stigma he feels when he has an outbreak.

So needless to say, he is one of those people that is very mindful of how contagious they are and would NEVER entertain the thought of kissing someone, let alone a baby if he had one present, blister or not, they are still very contagious. As long as there is a lesion present, you are at risk.

In fact, on our honeymoon he had a huge one, (most likely from the stress of wedding prep etc) and sadly we didn't kiss on the whole time we were away for our honeymoon.

Loco, I feel for you, especially as you do all the right things to try and avoid something like this and it was very thoughtless of Gran to kiss whilst she had one. I hope that the quick actions of you washing your baby's hand did the trick and that perhaps your bub has some antibodies. But that said, if you've never had cold sores, I don't think bub would have antibodies? I'm not sure on that one.

for you and that bub won't get them.
    I know they can be dangerous for babies I just read that earlier
    I have read that its the first few days and when it is puss that it is the most contagious right? Anyway yes I am really disappointed with her because she is one of those over the top grandmothers who says don't put the baby in the wind she ll get sick on a 40 degree day, Don't let her inhale car fumes on a street she ll get poisoned, Don't put her in front of a fan she ll stop breathing (these were things she said to me yesterday mind you) Don't let her do this don't let her do that ok shes 80 years old but SHE KISSES HER WITH A DAM COLD SORE!!

Anyway I just have to start opening my mouth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Cold sores do not have to be present for the virus to spread, sorry to be the downer but anyone with the cold sore virus can pass it on without having a single symptom, it's passed either via viral shredding where it releases itself through saliva and skin cells.

I recently caught it 'down there' after my ex decided to try and get me in the mood when I was sick, he didn't even have a tingle and unfortunately as a result I now have to live with the out breaks.

Please, anyone with cold sores must be so careful, especially when someone else is run down as their body will not have anything left to fight the virus upon contact. Blisters will also take 2-14 days to break out from first contact.

HTH

7. The Following User Says Thank You to singlemumma82 For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friends dd caught one from her. The little girl (6mths at the time) put her hand in my friends mouth. She had an open wound at the time on her thumb and the virus got into her thumb. They took swabs and sure enough it was herpes. They have had no more break outs but it took months to clear!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to smootch For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singlemumma82 View Post
    Cold sores do not have to be present for the virus to spread, sorry to be the downer but anyone with the cold sore virus can pass it on without having a single symptom, it's passed either via viral shredding where it releases itself through saliva and skin cells.

I recently caught it 'down there' after my ex decided to try and get me in the mood when I was sick, he didn't even have a tingle and unfortunately as a result I now have to live with the out breaks.

Please, anyone with cold sores must be so careful, especially when someone else is run down as their body will not have anything left to fight the virus upon contact. Blisters will also take 2-14 days to break out from first contact.

HTH
    So there's really not much you can do hey?

You poor thing are they the same as on the mouth down there? Gosh it would be painful wouldn't it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smootch View Post
    My friends dd caught one from her. The little girl (6mths at the time) put her hand in my friends mouth. She had an open wound at the time on her thumb and the virus got into her thumb. They took swabs and sure enough it was herpes. They have had no more break outs but it took months to clear!
    Yep and this is what I said to DH this morning she loves putting her fingers in her own mouth but also loves to touch other peoples mouth Oh well I guess I have to stop stressing and just pray

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD got her first cold sore when she was about 14 months old from her daddy (she has never had another one since).

She was sick, feverish and irritable for about 3/4 days before she got the cold sore and then she finally got the actual sore. Apparently the first time they get the virus they can get quite sick. So just keep an eye on your little one - I just put her bad mood down to teething and then I finally figured out by going through my baby book that it was the cold sore!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitty10 For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (23-01-2012)